Need an alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My alternator has been questionable since I acquired this 40.

Hate to replace oem with a crap aftermarket part. What's available that's recommended?

Anyone replaced one recently?

Assume for the 69. So 1F

What about a local rebuild shop?

When mine goes, I'm doing a one wire unit. Amoron has a 120 Amp for $86 as an example.

I think on the parts shelf I have a close out Rockauto unit I got cheap - needs the pully moved over IIRC

Rebuild it yourself! Good chance if you tear it down, swap out the brushes, clean the commutator and reassemble with new OEM bearings you'll likely have good luck.

Also note that the regulator has adjustment and confirm connections from battery to alt and regulator. FSM shows the specs and details on both regulator and alternator. Totally a home job if you have some patience.

The guy that does mine is a one-man shop, and is a few years older than me. He was the production manager for one of the big rebuilders in LA 40 years ago before deciding to go solo. Whenever we see each other these days, we’re both a little amazed that we’re both still at it.

Last edited:
I have 2 oem units that I would be willing to have rebuilt if I could find a shop capable. It's a dying art it seems.
They exist, for the one that repairs them it's not rocket science. What I run into is they cannot locate parts or they don't want to do a thorough job rebuilding it like replacing bearings wheather they need it or not. The last one I had rebuilt I had to find a donor for parts. And it wasn't like you could get one off the sheft since they're not sold here in the USA.

Last edited:
I've heard that you can use a GM-style one wire alternator and it will fit if you use a grinder on the mounting tab. I'm about to try that out and will let you know in a few days.

I've heard that you can use a GM-style one wire alternator and it will fit if you use a grinder on the mounting tab. I'm about to try that out and will let you know in a few days.
That does work as well. Did that in my 55 and got more amps at same time.

Hate to replace oem with a crap aftermarket part. What's available that's recommended?

i have more of these then when i shot this REEL this past HOLIDAY season ,

ALL are 1962-12/74 Drivers Side Lower Mounting Location USA-Spec. also , 1/75-1/90 NON-USA 2F , 3F carb too

anything lezz then
Genuine NipponDenso NOS is simply .........:rolleyes:
- each unit comes with a MANDATORY MUST-INSTALL Genuine NipponDenso 3-wire Voltage Regulator Too ........

- i have 40A , 45A - 50A - 55A and a precious 60A too ....

oh .........make sure to click ON the little speaker ICON , they get discussed in a unique MUST-KNOW way ...... :D :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

download (16).jpg

1689983545395.png

1689983613157.png

Each one no matter how it comes to me gets a comprehensive Check-Up at the Doc. for good health Exactly how @cruisermatt 's did , ZERO EXCEPTIONS here !

For the drivers side lower unit mounting location crowd .......

- the Stainless Steel Pipe Dream of ALL Stainless Steel Pipes Dreams i ever dreamed up .... Part # 16381-60420 :D
1689984608351.png

1689984578781.png

Good stuff Matt! Been trying to reach you, just sent a PM. Looks like you have something that will work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom