Builds CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Pop top Prototype (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ab1985 is ~3/4 cut not a full cut.

dirtsunrise is a full cut done to the max

Phil - Are you going to do a full? I'm liking the 3/4 .. Will you be doing the cut yourself ?

Thanks,

John

Phil - Are you going to do a full? I'm liking the 3/4 .. Will you be doing the cut yourself ?

Thanks,

John

Full for sure with possible a small shelf at the front.
Yes I do all my own fab work, mostly

Full for sure with possible a small shelf at the front.
Yes I do all my own fab work, mostly

As I expected... I think I would want to do my own cut as well and work with a local upholstery shop to get the interior cut sorted back to a factory look.

Did you do any interior modifications to the roof section such as insulation or fabric? Looks like Eric just sends them raw.

Appreciated -

John

As I expected... I think I would want to do my own cut as well and work with a local upholstery shop to get the interior cut sorted back to a factory look.

Did you do any interior modifications to the roof section such as insulation or fabric? Looks like Eric just sends them raw.

Appreciated -

John

My 2013 is not exactly the same as the new model
Mine Closed high density foam
12mm on 3 panels 10mm on the top panel

img_1065-jpg.1872614

AB1985

chop-top-jpg.1876983

How does the floor space of your new builds compare to the 80 series?

Liking the new drawer fridges with the tiny ice box:clap:

What is the floor tip open access?

I just experience poptop build without an upper bed given the ability for some 6' to be sitting upright without the top up. Now thats game changing and a strong possibility for me going forward.

These trucks will get the roof cut, just getting started on the interior. The headroom is minimal without the roof removed. I can’t sit up fully as it is now. The floor space is similar to the 80 if not the same. The walls are a bit more vertical. The fridge really opens up the design and layout possibilities. Likely not as efficient as a top loader, but the customer has his eye on a certain look. I have enjoyed branching out from the typical top loader. I may try one myself paired with a center console mini fridge. The rear cubby is stock on these 77s and will be recovering gear. The 1/2 round above it is the fuel pump access.

Hey Eric - it's Taylor. I used these with a foam hull pad. Totally bomber for weeks in Baja. Four straps; two over the top of the boat, two through its side rails.

s-l640.jpg
These look bomber. I haven’t tried this style yet.

My 2013 is not exactly the same as the new model
Mine Closed high density foam
12mm on 3 panels 10mm on the top panel

This shows how I separated the fabric from the stiff backing to trim the gap at the sunroof. The sunroof itself and the workings have been removed. This trims the inside of the truck and allows the roof to be removed for that seldom seen topless look... For a more fluid/seem less look, the classic auto/speaker carpet can be wrapped from the pop top over all the edges and tucked into the window seals then down onto the pillars. By trimming the gap between and the car, the top will be on for good.

AB1985

chop-top-jpg.1876983

Anyone have pictures of the new model out there?

Thanks in advance -

John

Hi John,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is an interior picture of mine, new as of fall 2018. It's got a ~4" high density foam mattress. The roof isn't cut.

T

img_7952-jpg.1799743

Hi John,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is an interior picture of mine, new as of fall 2018. It's got a ~4" high density foam mattress. The roof isn't cut.

T

img_7952-jpg.1799743

Thank you for posting... Looks great...

Eric it shows your old website domain is for sale too btw. Your inbox is full as well
Yeah. I let it lapse and somebody wants a couple gram for it. New website is on my list of things to do

I cut my full roof out. Just as in the picture above of @ab1985. I kept excess of the headliner, then stripped off the backing so I was only left with the fabric. I then used pinch weld molding in a tannish color to attach the fabric to the roof sheet metal. It is difficult to stretch and shape the fabric to make it look good. I worked on this last August for about an hour with the intention of pulling the pinch weld molding back off and trying to stretch it tight again in the future, but I haven’t touched it since. As Eric mentioned this leaves the space between the top and the roof sheet metal open so you can pull the top off easy if need be.

97CE63F2-3DC5-49EE-A23C-ADA87E8304E9.jpeg

D5A04FD1-0676-4A1D-91B3-C4F9F45C10FC.jpeg

92CA59BD-74D6-4FDE-BF45-FFE7A45DDF57.jpeg

39CB8E7B-1725-48ED-9B42-D2C74A96DC75.jpeg

With the Campteq, it's basically just a shell top. It is a simple and light weight enclosed pop top that functions as a roof rack/platform too. Build out the inside bed space and fine tune as needed.

The bed platform is left up to you. Eric gave me a slatted bed platform and that is what Phil is currently using. Since I cut my roof I knew I wanted a platform that I could raise up out of the way and stand inside. I made a platform out of plywood into two sections. The main platform is 60in length and the rear platform is 20in length. Both sections have gas struts so I can raise them both out of the way with my bedding remaining in place. The main platform hinges from the front and the smaller platform hinges from the rear. With the smaller platform open I can crawl upstairs and then shut the smaller platform behind me.

This is probably useful information for this thread:

I use the Ikea "MINNESUND" mattress. Size "full." It's designed for a slatted bed platform. The cover is removable and washable. I cut the foam to width, folding the excess cover in equal parts under each side. Length-wise it's a few inches short, but not noticeable in use.

Fitted with two sheets, the shell closes onto it, and may even compress it a bit -- so, I would say that 3 7/8" is the maximum mattress thickness compatible with a Campteq.

MINNESUND Foam mattress - Twin - IKEA

minnesund-foam-mattress-white__0421860_PE578076_S4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom