camp fire oven (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's really a shame EcoQue discontinued this; I happened to get one and it is absolutely awesome, requires very little fuel, and after people get done laughing at you/it they marvel at it's practicality. Perhaps more inspiration for a DIY?
1619640181099.png

It's really a shame EcoQue discontinued this; I happened to get one and it is absolutely awesome, requires very little fuel, and after people get done laughing at you/it they marvel at it's practicality. Perhaps more inspiration for a DIY?
View attachment 2659449
sure, post up a pic of it as a shiny new spaceship. let's see it ablaze like a viking funeral pyre:hillbilly:

while this is the best answers

This is an option if you have room for the stove, the oven folds up nice and flat.

next step is to fab up a cover to help regulate and hold the heat , welding blanket, kevlar thread, what every they make suppressor covers from??

IMG_8860_jpg-1287622.jpg

You might consider a Tembo Tusk or something similar with the accessory kit that includes lid and steam tray (which is actually a grill you set on the skottle under the lid). This setup is quite versatile and able to be used even with most fire restrictions in the dry months.

the basic design is out of gil gilpatrick's book, BUILDING OUTDOOR GEAR. it's the large one. he has dimensions for 3 sizes in the write up. i used aluminum door kick plate as it was free.95. the shelf is perforated 16ga. stainless. it was also free.95. yup, just hoarded material from various demolitions at work. it took me about 2hrs to put it together
yes, i cheated with the cinnamon rolls, pilsbury prepped the rolls, i baked em. it took about an hour 15 minutes from striking match to slathering icing on.
the shelf pulls out so the kelly kettle fits in with the baking pan for transport. i'll probably fashion some sort of cover to turn it into a box and carry other cooking/baking utensils in it also

Last edited:
forgot to mention last night, the amount of fuel, a.k.a. fire wood, used was not what i would call a large amount. i'd say 3/4s of a milk crate full. it was an even mix of pine, maple n oak. about 11/2" x 16" in size.

Dutch oven for the win. Not only is it a pot you can flip the lid and it is a flat grill as well. bake bread in it after dinner when it sits next to the fire. Haul water in it wash dishes in it ect.

Dutch oven for the win. Not only is it a pot you can flip the lid and it is a flat grill as well. bake bread in it after dinner when it sits next to the fire. Haul water in it wash dishes in it ect.
nothing wrong with a dutch oven, but my present wheelin' beast is a tired @$$ 22re powered p.u. with 350k klms on it. gotta keep the weight down :hillbilly:

nothing wrong with a dutch oven, but my present wheelin' beast is a tired @$$ 22re powered p.u. with 350k klms on it. gotta keep the weight down :hillbilly:
If your weight and room margins are that slim you got other things to worry about.

I don't want to carry around 4 kg of iron , just for cooking once a month some bread or other stuff .
Something like this perhaps?....Light, strong and versatile...Available in 10" & 12".

If you had to backpack it in, or cared about your mules, the extra weight might matter.

That is alot of dedication though for some muffins to haul the lighter version in a backpack any distance. When heated by coals or fire, the cast iron will give a much more even heat.

while this is the best answers

This is an option if you have room for the stove, the oven folds up nice and flat.

next step is to fab up a cover to help regulate and hold the heat , welding blanket, kevlar thread, what every they make suppressor covers from??

View attachment 2660691
Check this one out on how they made theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom