Camp Coffee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I'm just old, outdated and simplistic, LOL

View attachment 2445745

Perc coffee tends to come out bitter due to over heating and over extraction. I tried the percolator method a while back and I learned that I can't be bothered to monitor the coffee and turn the heat down at the proper time it starts to percolate. I'm usually too busy trying to get my chit together and in the truck to keep an eye on my coffee, thus boiling water and pouring it into a french press is dead simple and if I let it steep a few minutes too long, it's still OK.

I'm on team French Press for camp coffee, unless I'm backpacking because there's no way I'm packing out wet grounds.
I do really want to try Aeropress because of the cleanup factor.

Also, @LAMBCRUSHER I liked seeing your SVEA 123 & Moka Pot combo. That's hardcore old school gear and I love it.

Trangia kettle, coffee, hot water, wait, pour, drink.

Simple.

I've been happy with this manual K-cup press. It's fast, cheap and easy to clean. I would recommend getting a spare valve ($1.50) or two. I haven't had a problem, but some folks have reported losing them. May not be the best solution for a large group or folks who drink cup after cup.

Amazon product ASIN B00HIXSAXQ

Ordered a Clever Coffee Dripper awhile back and just got around to a taste test this morning against my old pour over. Used same amount of coffee and same bottled water I take camping.
Hands down the Clever Dripper made a much richer cup of coffee. I let the coffee steep a full 4 minutes before pouring and that's the reason for the richer coffee compared to the pour over.

Isn't the pour over a glorified household coffee maker method?
Coffee grounds in a filter with hot water dripping down on it?

Isn't the pour over a glorified household coffee maker method?
Coffee grounds in a filter with hot water dripping down on it?
Yes. Clever dripper can best be described as a hybrid of a French Press and a pour over. Benefit of the coffee steeping in the filter similar to the french press but then drains thru the filter like a pour over and avoids sediment like a french press can have.

I'm on team French Press for camp coffee, unless I'm backpacking because there's no way I'm packing out wet grounds.
I do really want to try Aeropress because of the cleanup factor.

Also, @LAMBCRUSHER I liked seeing your SVEA 123 & Moka Pot combo. That's hardcore old school gear and I love it.

I’ve recently retired the original SVEA- yes, it’s a SVEA; not a knock off optimus to the optimus crux lite, now my UL coolest weighs just under a pound complete including fuel!!! And am
Just now sitting down to my first aero press. At 6 ounces for essential bits, it’s a qp heavier than my drip filter basket, but OMG IS THE COFFEE GOOD!!!

I’ve recently retired the original SVEA- yes, it’s a SVEA; not a knock off optimus to the optimus crux lite, now my UL coolest weighs just under a pound complete including fuel!!! And am
Just now sitting down to my first aero press. At 6 ounces for essential bits, it’s a qp heavier than my drip filter basket, but OMG IS THE COFFEE GOOD!!!
The Crux Lite is my go-to stove and it's brilliant.
I think I'm gonna have to axe my wife for an aeropress to live in my T100.

Yes. Clever dripper can best be described as a hybrid of a French Press and a pour over. Benefit of the coffee steeping in the filter similar to the french press but then drains thru the filter like a pour over and avoids sediment like a french press can have.

For sediment issues, why not just pour the coffee through a simple paper filter over the cup?

For sediment issues, why not just pour the coffee through a simple paper filter over the cup?
Clever Dripper does that. Why go through a two step process of filtering also after using a french press? Makes no sense to me.

WE have a standard rule: Whoever gets up first starts a pot of water on the way to the latrine. That way people can choose their poison: coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or hot cider. Several flavors of tea along with Folgers instant and/or Maxwell House coffee bags.

If in grizzly country, first person gets pot out of storage, fills, and lights stove.

I'm too lazy to read all the earlier pages, so I don't know if this is unique; I doubt it.

I use two methods, "slow" or fast. Slow is a pour-over; french presses are messy and gritty. German coffee always (Tchibo). Fast is Tchibo instant (the best tasting); any travel done without a fridge for cream involves a cannister pre-mixed with instant coffee and dehydrated heavy cream. I will never use the nasty chemical "creamers".

My setup is the Aeropress, probably the quickest way to get excellent coffee while overlanding. 90 seconds after water boils. It does take a few minutes to grind the coffee with this porlex hand grinder while you wait for water to boil. The results are well worth it though. I would not recommend pre-ground coffee as the results will be inferior.

If you're into espresso while overlanding, consider the ROK or the Flair paired with a good hand grinder. It's pricey but with practice the combination will make coffee as good as most high-quality cafes (i.e. not starbucks)

My setup is the Aeropress, probably the quickest way to get excellent coffee while overlanding. 90 seconds after water boils. It does take a few minutes to grind the coffee with this porlex hand grinder while you wait for water to boil. The results are well worth it though. I would not recommend pre-ground coffee as the results will be inferior.

If you're into espresso while overlanding, consider the ROK or the Flair paired with a good hand grinder. It's pricey but with practice the combination will make coffee as good as most high-quality cafes (i.e. not starbucks)
My In-laws got me an Aeropress for Christmas and I adore it. I don't take it backpacking, but it's my go-to source of the magic bean juice whenever I'm car camping.

My In-laws got me an Aeropress for Christmas and I adore it. I don't take it backpacking, but it's my go-to source of the magic bean juice whenever I'm car camping.
I got this version for camping. Everything nests inside the "serrated" cup.
1616533959307.png

I LOVE coffee but if I have to carry it I won’t carry it. I’m not sure what’s it’s called but I just simmer coffee in the one pot we use for cooking in. Let the grinds settle a few minutes and pour. That keeps us from having to carry an unnecessary single use item. Otherwise instant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom