Camp Coffee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I LOVE coffee but if I have to carry it I won’t carry it. I’m not sure what’s it’s called but I just simmer coffee in the one pot we use for cooking in. Let the grinds settle a few minutes and pour. That keeps us from having to carry an unnecessary single use item. Otherwise instant.
I think it's simply called "cowboy coffee". Add a few dribbles of cold water to help settle the grounds quicker.

I think it's simply called "cowboy coffee". Add a few dribbles of cold water to help settle the grounds quicker.
Well then yeehaw and put er there! I thought cowboy coffee was roasted dandy lion roots crushed into a coffee substitute. Shows what I know!

I LOVE coffee but if I have to carry it I won’t carry it. I’m not sure what’s it’s called but I just simmer coffee in the one pot we use for cooking in. Let the grinds settle a few minutes and pour. That keeps us from having to carry an unnecessary single use item. Otherwise instant.
Have you tried Alpine Start instant?
It's pretty damned good, it's my go-to instant for backpacking and long hikes.
A handful of Alpine Start packets and a couple of Esbit cubes can make any cold or wet hike a lovely journey.

A simple coffee pot is multi-use. Coffee, hot chocolate, hot cider, dish-washing hot water, instant cereal and, in desperate times, dehydrated food.
I have an old GSI aluminum kettle and on many trips where friends and I were just heating water and pouring it over dehydrated food, it was the perfect lightweight tool for heating water for two or three people.

Have you tried Alpine Start instant?
It's pretty damned good, it's my go-to instant for backpacking and long hikes.
A handful of Alpine Start packets and a couple of Esbit cubes can make any cold or wet hike a lovely journey.
I have not but I’ll look into it. I am a huge Esbit fan! Anything 2 ppl or less it’s all I use. You just can’t beat the weight and simplicity compared to an alcohol stove, etc.

I have not but I’ll look into it. I am a huge Esbit fan! Anything 2 ppl or less it’s all I use. You just can’t beat the weight and simplicity compared to an alcohol stove, etc.
Esbit is so nice! It's just foolproof and easy and lightweight to boot. It's hard to beat it.

I pretty much only drink cold brew concentrate these days. I add two ounces of concentrate to six ounces of hot water and it makes a very nice cup of coffee. It's also very handy for travel. I stick a jar of concentrate in the cooler (It doesn't need to be refrigerated though), and heat water in a kettle. I also use a measuring cup but I'm sure I could eyeball things if I needed to.

I love my Aeropress and a quality cup of coffee but lately I've been lazy and have just been doing the instant stuff. After I try all the different brands I can source locally I might do a write up.
I've been wanting to do a shootout video of different instant coffees for backpacking. A writeup would be handy, too.

been wanting the snow peak coffee dripper but couldn't bring myself to drop $30 on just the device. luckily clones have started showing up on amazon so i grabbed one. it works perfect with my hario v2 filters that I use at home.

Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 4.38.06 PM.png

We used to make cowboy coffee all the time when we were gathering. Just like @BMThiker said except we would take it one step further. To settle the grounds tie a rope around the kettle and spin it around a few times.

thanks! was out of town. just got them sent out today!
No worries! I'm just happy to support a fellow enthusiast!

Just a comment on the instant coffee for backpacking. Douwe Egbert from the Netherlands is the best I’ve found.
I'll look into that one!

We’ve started going two different routes for coffee in the past year.
One option is the very tasty Kuju Coffee pour over singles. Very convenient and some seriously good coffee, but expensive. Perfect for a long weekend.
The other option is the Aero Press. This is cost effective since you supply your own choice of coffee but there is some cleanup so it is slightly less convenient than the Kuju singles.

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

Yeah, I usually pop my Aeropress spent grounds into my BROG tire mounted trashbag. Then give it a quick wipe down with a paper towel. Waste either way you look at it. I suppose I could remove the filter round, then pop the coffee puck to the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom