Cali to Maine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dogwashetc.com
First time contributor here, and I use the term "contributor" loosely. I just purchased my first Cruiser. She's a '91 FJ80 just shipped from California, across country, to my home state of Maine. I'd been looking for a 80's-00's cruiser for a few years now in Maine. The winters and the salt they use on the roads makes it nearly impossible to find a rust free cruiser. 90% are all roached out and require extensive body and frame work. I finally pulled the trigger and ended with the FJ80. She's a fine specimen not a speck of rust with 242k miles.

I am no mechanic, I understand the basics and I can perform the basics. This is my third vehicle so it isn't a DD. This rig has had a lot of maintenance and recent work done to it. I've only owned it for a day and I'm very excited to make it my own. Nothing sticks out that needs attention but driving it home I noticed it's limits concerning engine power and lack of smooth shifting throughout the gears.

If you were me what would be your "first order of business" concerning the engine and drivetrain? I want to be a good steward of this classic and I'd like to preserve it and make it better. I surely appreciate any advice that the forum can give. Thank you!

You should look closely at the FAQ's.
All the fluids should be changed which is part of what is called " baselining" and check all the rubber hoses things like that. You could find a place close to you that sprays undercarriages with rust preventive as well.
And above all... Welcome. Get your Visa out!

I'd think underbody coating / rust protection first, given location / time of year.
Not sure it's dry / warm enough to do that right now, though.

That'll give enough time to get into the baselining mania that seems prevalent 'round here. :)

You should look closely at the FAQ's.
All the fluids should be changed which is part of what is called " baselining" and check all the rubber hoses things like that. You could find a place close to you that sprays undercarriages with rust preventive as well.
And above all... Welcome. Get your Visa out!
Haha, some money will be spent! The owner before me had a ton of maintenance done including all fluids. He had to sell it do to job op. I spray my truck with Fluid Film. Thanks for the advise.

I'd think underbody coating / rust protection first, given location / time of year.

That'll give enough time to get into the baselining mania that seems prevalent 'round here. :)
My buddy doe Fluid Filming so I'm all set here. I like the idea of this baselining you speak of. Thanks.

Under coating on your new truck for sure, other wise, due to the fact of where you live, your new truck will look like rusty swiss cheese in 3, to 5 years of winter driving.

I have heard of NH but I have used Eastmans Rustenhibitor with some good results. It sticks to the metal and dries. Fluid film is good but it stays greasy.
A real big advantage...... Garage.

Welcome to the addiction! I'm in NH, on the coast, let me know if you make it down this way and we can talk Cruisers!

First time contributor here, and I use the term "contributor" loosely. I just purchased my first Cruiser. She's a '91 FJ80 just shipped from California, across country, to my home state of Maine. I'd been looking for a 80's-00's cruiser for a few years now in Maine. The winters and the salt they use on the roads makes it nearly impossible to find a rust free cruiser. 90% are all roached out and require extensive body and frame work. I finally pulled the trigger and ended with the FJ80. She's a fine specimen not a speck of rust with 242k miles.

I am no mechanic, I understand the basics and I can perform the basics. This is my third vehicle so it isn't a DD. This rig has had a lot of maintenance and recent work done to it. I've only owned it for a day and I'm very excited to make it my own. Nothing sticks out that needs attention but driving it home I noticed it's limits concerning engine power and lack of smooth shifting throughout the gears.

If you were me what would be your "first order of business" concerning the engine and drivetrain? I want to be a good steward of this classic and I'd like to preserve it and make it better. I surely appreciate any advice that the forum can give. Thank you!
pictures or it didn't happen

Haha. We are twins i bought a 1995 from San Diego with 3x lockers and 229K. I did not have time before the s*** flew to get it undercoated, so its in dry storage until the spring. We are planing a trip to the the North Maine Woods this summer from VT.
Welcome to the addiction. I am on landeruiser #4 so far.

Land Cruiser - Jeb.jpg

Haha. We are twins i bought a 1995 from San Diego with 3x lockers and 229K. I did not have time before the s*** flew to get it undercoated, so its in dry storage until the spring. We are planing a trip to the the North Maine Woods this summer from VT.
Welcome to the addiction. I am on landeruiser #4 so far.
Nice man. Well let me know if you come through Portland, you could give me some pointers.

Fluid Film from bumper to bumper every October before the snow flies. Other than the smell, it's really not that messy with a paint sprayer and some plastic dropcloths. Takes about an hour from start to clean-up.

I'm going to give my 1992 the complete POR 15 treatment. That included the INSIDE of the doors. I may then coat it with something elese after that. Theres a product out there with a spray can and a bending tube so you can shoot inside the frame rails.

I agree. Find somewhere warm and get that baby coated as soon as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom