Cali to Maine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Above & beyond doing some research in the FAQ's (The threads in the header bar, information dense reading) - you might look up @landtank here - he sees a ton of LC's & is in your general location, so he more than most would know rust issues or whatever else is a regional topic you confront.

Never heard anyone complain about his work either -he either owns his own shop or is in LC repair to some extent. Smart fella.

Sure glade I live in Calif. no salt on the roads here.

Yes Linus I agree, Landtank IS the guy in the northeast for sure. He lives in MA, and he keeps my truck mechanically at 100%.
However, if you are looking for body work he is not the guy. We have had many conversations and when it comes to the body he has no interest.

PS to the OP - get a differential locking switch if you don't already have one. It plugs right in on the dash.

Yes Linus I agree, Landtank IS the guy in the northeast for sure. He lives in MA, and he keeps my truck mechanically at 100%.
However, if you are looking for body work he is not the guy. We have had many conversations and when it comes to the body he has no ability in this area.

thanks and fixed

This thread has me excited. My story is almost exactly like yours. I just bought an LC in Oregon and I'm waiting to have it shipped out here to New Hampshire. Who knows, I might see you out on a trail sometime! Also, I had my Tacoma sprayed with the New Hampshire Oil Coat (I'm pretty sure it's the same as fluid film... smells sweet) and so far I'm pretty impressed.

However, if you are looking for body work he is not the guy. We have had many conversations and when it comes to the body he has no interest.

PS to the OP - get a differential locking switch if you don't already have one. It plugs right in on the dash.
I do have a factory center diff lock button on the dash!

thanks and fixed
Hi landtank, I see you are just over the NH line, that's not too far from me in Portland. Where is the best place for odds and ends in the New England area? My FJ80 is in pretty good shape but there is some interior issues I'm going to want to take care of once I know it is mechanically %100. The dashboard has many deep cracks in it from the California sunshine and I'd like to replace it at some point.

Since you're a NE guy ( directed @cruiserhound mainly - but we all know this if living in a wet climate ) ---

The undercarriage Fluid Film gets you the important stuff - but your upper tailgate will rot a lower corner of the window gasket unless you pull the glass out a little & RTV it along the upper ledge. Rain water gets by it as is.

That's why you see a rust bubble in the lower corner of the rear glass of 75% of cruisers. I found out the hard way 2/3 of my 80's & they came from Cali or Nevada.

Then the lower tailgate (doors work the same) will do the same - so if you get a chance I boosted the idea from Wagongear's site - drop a little ATF in the lower seam from the inside when you pull a door card or especially the tailgate card.

Wagongear's site will give more tailgate detail (maybe a pic or 2, I forget), but it's just rust mitigation like all Yotas need. The doors I did based on the pics of salt belt 80's I see. Specifically of the pinch seam on white ones, where you see rust stains near the door slit drains.

HTH.

Welcome to 3FE ownership! The BEST engine Toyota ever produced!!!

Since you're a NE guy ( directed @cruiserhound mainly - but we all know this if living in a wet climate ) ---

The undercarriage Fluid Film gets you the important stuff - but your upper tailgate will rot a lower corner of the window gasket unless you pull the glass out a little & RTV it along the upper ledge. Rain water gets by it as is.

That's why you see a rust bubble in the lower corner of the rear glass of 75% of cruisers. I found out the hard way 2/3 of my 80's & they came from Cali or Nevada.

Then the lower tailgate (doors work the same) will do the same - so if you get a chance I boosted the idea from Wagongear's site - drop a little ATF in the lower seam from the inside when you pull a door card or especially the tailgate card.

Wagongear's site will give more tailgate detail (maybe a pic or 2, I forget), but it's just rust mitigation like all Yotas need. The doors I did based on the pics of salt belt 80's I see. Specifically of the pinch seam on white ones, where you see rust stains near the door slit drains.

HTH.
Very good tips Linus. Didn't even consider rust mitigation for those problem areas. Thanks!

Welcome to 3FE ownership! The BEST engine Toyota ever produced!!!
I really don't have any perspective regarding the different engines in Land Cruisers. Mine has 242K and it seems like it could use some help or maybe the throttle cable needs to be adjusted? All I know is it seems to lack power through out the gears but it is a no frills six cylinder pushing a lot of weight. Do you have any suggestions for increasing my power?

I really don't have any perspective regarding the different engines in Land Cruisers. Mine has 242K and it seems like it could use some help or maybe the throttle cable needs to be adjusted? All I know is it seems to lack power through out the gears but it is a no frills six cylinder pushing a lot of weight. Do you have any suggestions for increasing my power?

To "increase" power with the 3FE is simple....... go downhill! Lol
Seriously, the 3FE is nothing but a tractor motor mated to a automatic tranny. Good amount of "Grunt", but your not going to be cruising in the left lane! What it lacks in 1/4 mile performance..... it makes up for in longevity, these things aren't called "iron Pigs" for nothing! 22?000 miles?? Just breaking it in! Keep the valves adjusted half ass, keep quality fluids in it, and get it into your head that.....yes.... you DO need to stop at EVERY gas station, and you'll be fine! Plus, non-interference engine, along with no timing chain= "keep on rolling"!
For the limited power upgrade the newer power(less) engines afford, save your money, and go straight for a LS Swap! Good luck!

Regarding your throttle cable, or kick-down cable.....very common, under the FAQ Section there is a article on how to adjust it..... too easy, and works! Mine would shift at really low speeds, after adjusting its smooth as silk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom