Buying Troopy - Too Much Rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Keen to join the Troopy brotherhood and am in the process of buying one. Looking at a sweet 03 with the 1hz engine at 159k on it.
Only issue is some rust (see below)
It looks like surface corrosion but I’d like to lean on the group and get opinions on whether to continue with the sale or walk away? Price is right and happy to pay for repair unless it’s terminal.
Advice very welcome.
15FA2609-9743-46DB-BDC0-77D17D0DF560.jpeg
15FA2609-9743-46DB-BDC0-77D17D0DF560.jpeg

D76F94F5-997E-47E6-A435-30961EAE5E30.jpeg

87AC7BCB-2AB1-4A10-8920-B1B51075134A.jpeg

Hi
Mhmm. Some more pics would help.
A plywood tank skidplate? Seriously? What else funny ideas might the PO have had?
The undercarriage may be surface rust, except for the one spot on the frame, right above the spring mount, on the left side of the pic.
The right tank band of the 2nd tank appears to be loose.
The body looks worse, though: Bondo in the rain gutter, paint over rust and rust seeping under the windshield gasket.
It apparently has a raised fiber roof? If so, that would be a common issue at the joint. The rust spots are where the roof is joint. I'd expect the fiber roof needs to come off.
And that are not even the typical rust spots on a 70. What about floor, footwell, wheel arches, inner fender, sillboard, underside & edges of doors ...?
Good luck Ralf

Run away.

Hi
A plywood tank skidplate? Seriously? What else funny ideas might the PO have had?
The undercarriage may be surface rust, except for the one spot on the frame, right above the spring mount, on the left side of the pic.
The body looks worse, though: Bondo in the rain gutter, paint over rust and rust seeping under the windshield gasket.
It apparently has a raised fiber roof? If so, that would be a common issue at the joint. The rust spots are where the roof is joint. I'd expect the fiber roof needs to come off.
And that are not even the typical rust spots on a 70. What about floor, footwell, wheel arches, inner fender, sillboard, underside & edges of doors ...?
Good luck Ralf
T
Hi all. Keen to join the Troopy brotherhood and am in the process of buying one. Looking at a sweet 03 with the 1hz engine at 159k on it.
Only issue is some rust (see below)
It looks like surface corrosion but I’d like to lean on the group and get opinions on whether to continue with the sale or walk away? Price is right and happy to pay for repair unless it’s terminal.
Advice very welcome.
View attachment 3173399View attachment 3173399

View attachment 3173400
Hi
Good luck Ralf
Thanks Ralf. Really appreciated. Based on the analysis I went a different way. Ad below.

A724ED59-DEDA-4610-A0C7-F6827B0B58D5.jpeg

A91BB942-CD6B-49CB-B8DD-53067AA072DE.jpeg

Hello,

Right price, quite likely expensive repairs.

Body rust may or may not have extended under the paint.

Is this a high roof modification?

Make sure the price is right if you plan to have it as a project rig. Otherwise, it will be an expensive nightmare.

Juan

Run Forest 🏃‍♂️run !

That rust isn't horrible. Nothing is going to break due to rust, and it's not a frame / safety issue.

With that said, rust makes vehicles absolutely miserable to work on. I bought my truck to work on it, and it is a joy. The vehicle above would not be a joy to work on.

I can't comment on the price. (No idea whether that level is normal or justified in your end of the world).
All in all it doesn't look too bad to me. A bit neglected / well traveled.
But pictures never show vital details.

All body modifications obviously have been done with insufficient rust prevention (raised fiber roof, that cabinet (uh, ugly), fender flares...) I second the others who have commented on that: If not analyzed before purchase, it might be a costy surprise.
How much rust is acceptable depends a lot on what your personal options and resources are on tackling body repairs (cut, weld, smooth, paint).

I anyway wouldn't buy a vehicle without personal inspection, testdrive and a personal plan on how to tackle what the inspection unveiled.
Here I would also look behind the interior installations. More rusty surprises there?
Good Luck Ralf

That roof is bogged.
Agree. I think it needs to come off for any kind of sustainable repair, as I said before.
I personally wouldn't want a raised hard top anyways. Too top heavy and too much hassle with hitting things (including parking).
Might be possible to take it off, repair rust and properly install it again, but as the roof is already cut, I would rather go for a pop-top.
But that's a personal preference.
Ralf

what was the price?
imo the chassis is the most important, body sheet metal is easy to cut and weld back. I got a hj75 troopy wreck for $2500 aud with more rust than that last year. Only regret is the chassis needs fixing.

Mind you, there would be more rust below the gloss. I wouldn't pay too much. If engine and gear box is good and most importantly chassis , I would think about it long and hard at around $5k.

Just at these pics you are looking at fixing quite a few things which is exy if paying someone to do it. Are you fixing yourself? If not, like others say, run away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom