Busted ignition - ignition cylinder rod replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately I just joined the club last night. Textbook too. I was wrenching on the 200, which is my wife's DD and she was driving the 100, which she never drives. Went to shuffle some vehicles in the driveway and the key turned with no response....right after she drove it. I knew exactly what happened, thanks to previously reading this thread. LX470 with 210k. Luckily a screwdriver and those 12" HF hemostats (regular length ones in my suture kit were not long enough) did the trick to move it out of the way. New OEM part on order, with an ebay rod as a spare.

Hey everyone,
This happened on my ‘03 LX470 the other week and here are my comments:

First: posts #33, 114, 154, 177, 297, and 336 were super valuable, as was the YouTube video. Thanks everyone!

Second: I had it towed and they didn’t use a flatbed truck; they raised the back wheels on “dollys”

Third: my wife and kids were up camping and I needed my truck to tow the trailer home, but the wait for the part was about 2 weeks (I’m in Canada, had to import the part from California, much harder to source for ‘03-‘07)...so had to come up with an interim solution. For anyone in the same predicament as me, here’s how to get up and running without a replacement part:

- take it all apart like the video and posts say, except remove the white part completely as well.
- get the broken piece out
- stick a properly sized pipe down the throat to disengage the steering lock. I wrapped the ends in duct tape to make it more snug and toggled to the left to ensure the lock remained disengaged
- connect your immobilizer and hold your key near it
- use a screwdriver to turn the ignition on the white part

I was a bit nervous but the pipe was so snug it wouldn’t budge, it was my only option and it worked. Got the trailer and family home today and will be getting the replacement part installed this week.

View attachment 2020160

Was your rod stamped with 7853A or 2061B? I also have a 2003 lx470 with power tilt/telescope and having a hard time figuring out which rod will fit my car (for backup/preventative - don't want to tear it apart to figure out which one to order!)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Unfortunately, I have also joined this club, 1998 LX470 with about 160K miles. Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the tips for getting the parts out. I received my new part today (OEM from Lexus and just plan on replacing the broken rod). Unfortunately during the process of fishing out the broken part I turned my steering wheel to allow a little more working room and the steering wheel locked. I have posted a picture to show what I'm talking about. After the steering wheel locked, the piece that is inside pretty deep that can be pushed to the side (labeled #1) now won't go as far to the right (it does move a decent amount though), and the metal piece at the top (labeled #2) used to slide all the way and have clearance so that you could see past it, if that makes sense. Now it doesn't go that far.

I am unable to get the new piece in, and I think it may be because of the above. I took off the white plastic piece behind the column bracket (the part you're not supposed to take off to remove the rod, just loosen) in order to try to use a small screwdriver to push it over while trying to insert the new rod. I feel like I was able to keep it pushed over as much as it would go but I'm still not able to pass the rod.

Is there any way to disengage the steering lock so that that piece will slide further? Are there any other options? Or is it supposed to be tricky to get in there? Placing it in the new one isn't too tricky.

Worst case scenario I guess I can replace the whole column bracket. I sure would like to avoid that. But if I must, does anyone have a link to instruct me on that? It doesn't seem straightforward.

Thanks!!!

!
IMG_8844.jpg

You should be able to remove the white wire/switch unit completely off the ignition housing and trun the blade (the remainder) of the broken rod while moving the steering wheel little to either side.

You should be able to remove the white wire/switch unit completely off the ignition housing and trun the blade (the remainder) of the broken rod while moving the steering wheel little to either side.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The broken rod has been removed already, and I removed the white piece behind it.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The broken rod has been removed already, and I removed the white piece behind it.
Use a long screwdriver and press in the metal tab that has been pushed out towards the radio. At the same time try to turn the wheel to make it free from lock.

Use a long screwdriver and press in the metal tab that has been pushed out towards the radio. At the same time try to turn the wheel to make it free from lock.
DUDE! That worked! Had to mess with it a bit but the steering wheel unlocked and I slid the part in. Still lots of work to do but another hurdle overcome. Thanks so much!!!

I am attempting to make the same repair to my 2001 LX470. I got the part number matching replacement from ebay, and after a lot of work finally got the old piece out and the new rod in. However, I have two issues: Turning from lock to acc is quite hard, but it will turn. I have no idea why this would happen, but maybe the ebay rod is not quite perfect? The other, more serious issue is that while I can have the engine turn-over, it will never start. Not sure if some kind of immobilization kicked in or something else. Anyone have an issue with engine not running after the replacement?

I am attempting to make the same repair to my 2001 LX470. I got the part number matching replacement from ebay, and after a lot of work finally got the old piece out and the new rod in. However, I have two issues: Turning from lock to acc is quite hard, but it will turn. I have no idea why this would happen, but maybe the ebay rod is not quite perfect? The other, more serious issue is that while I can have the engine turn-over, it will never start. Not sure if some kind of immobilization kicked in or something else. Anyone have an issue with engine not running after the replacement?
On the starting. Believe you are correct on the immobilizer is the issue on not starting. Going off memory...make sure than immobilizer ring or that little plug back in the slot is plugged in. It cant be dangling down or it wont be close enough. Cant answer to the rod. Maybe pull out rod and compare size on the notches.

On the starting. Believe you are correct on the immobilizer is the issue on not starting. Going off memory...make sure than immobilizer ring or that little plug back in the slot is plugged in. It cant be dangling down or it wont be close enough. Cant answer to the rod. Maybe pull out rod and compare size on the notches.
Thanks so much! You were exactly right.

I have read through a number of pages and it seems that the OEM PN for my 2003 LX is 45280-60610 and not 60510. These part numbers are for the whole assembly. Can/will anyone confirm that the rod I need to extract from the assembly is the same for my 2003 with power telescoping? I am not trying to shortcut reading the whole thread. I'm genuinely confused. Thanks in advance.

I have read through a number of pages and it seems that the OEM PN for my 2003 LX is 45280-60610 and not 60510. These part numbers are for the whole assembly. Can/will anyone confirm that the rod I need to extract from the assembly is the same for my 2003 with power telescoping? I am not trying to shortcut reading the whole thread. I'm genuinely confused. Thanks in advance.

Says right there in the description that’s what you need. Just order it up and put it in it’s a quick project.

Says right there in the description that’s what you need. Just order it up and put it in it’s a quick project.
I appreciate your response and certainly don't want to ruffle feathers as the FNG on here, but I'm asking if the difference between the 60610 and 60510 part numbers are in the housing (throw away for this project), or in the shank (critical piece for this project). The 60610 part is available local at the Lexus dealer for $450 and the 60510 is $150 cheaper at the Toyota dealer. Again, not being snarky. Just trying to save where possible. Not sure I want to wait for shipping from UAE in the ebay link you shared and I will attempt to use your socket mod to limp the car home at least.

I appreciate your response and certainly don't want to ruffle feathers as the FNG on here, but I'm asking if the difference between the 60610 and 60510 part numbers are in the housing (throw away for this project), or in the shank (critical piece for this project). The 60610 part is available local at the Lexus dealer for $450 and the 60510 is $150 cheaper at the Toyota dealer. Again, not being snarky. Just trying to save where possible. Not sure I want to wait for shipping from UAE in the ebay link you shared and I will attempt to use your socket mod to limp the car home at least.

60610 can be had for $150 cheaper too.

I got my full bracket for my 2000 LX from my local Toyota dealer for $199. Part # 4528060510 fit my telescoping LX just fine, same part as Lexus spec. Just extract the rod.

Ended up getting the aftermarket rod by itself from ebay and never used the Toyota one.

I got my full bracket for my 2000 LX from my local Toyota dealer for $199. Part # 4528060510 fit my telescoping LX just fine, same part as Lexus spec. Just extract the rod.

Ended up getting the aftermarket rod by itself from ebay and never used the Toyota one.
My 20 dollar eBay one is working fine as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom