Bumpers and Birfields (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We made an impromptu run to Chinaman's yesterday. It was Luke, Lonnie and myself on the run. This is the first test for Pretty Penny since I built the rear antiwrap bar and the rear bumper. The bumper isn't finished yet. It will have wings on the sides to protect the quarter panels. I cut 5" off the driver side quarter panel but still need to cut the passenger side.

In the first picture you can see that the rear wheels are not on the ground. Guess what happens when you try to back up in this situation? Oh ya and notice the tree behind Pretty Penny and the thing we didn't notice was that the driver side of the bumper was pushing on a tree root that was just under the dirt.

In the second picture you can see the bumper held up just fine with only a little missing paint. We had to pull Pretty Penny sideways to get her off the tree root so we could then pull her back off the rock after the birfield busted.

Lonnie was telling how I needed to line up for this obstacle. This is the second time Lonnie tried telling how to climb over this obstacle and the second birfield I busted on the same obstacle. Lonnie winched me off it both times. At this point I am not sure if I am glad Lonnie was with me both times since he winched me both times or if its Lonnie’s fault I busted both times.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

Nice Bumper, sorry about the Birfs!, I hate that obstacle! i have not yet made that one!

Longfield Super Axles should take care of that issue! they are on sale too! free birf Shift knob

Trevor

I have the original Longfields I got from Man Jerk. I put one in the drivers side when it broke so I can put the other one in the passenger side to fix it this time. I wonder how long they will last?

The rear tires are not on the ground. The rear bumper is wedged agains a tree root so trying to back up causes the front tire to push against the rock and force the tire down. The vehicle can not move backwards because the tree root is agains the bumper. This puts tremendous pressure on the front end and something had to give.

The dirt seemed to be soft since I dragged the rear over it when going forward so I thought I could just push the rear back. I didn't notice the bumper was against the tree root since it was covered with some of the soft dirt.

Did you have the wheel turned? Reverse and turned seems to be the automatic birf breaker move. Are the Longs you have the Chromo ones? Just curious because I have the first or second Gen. Longfield treated mini-truck birfs and I'm curious if anyone else does.

Seems like the 30spline Supers are the way to go...

Another question, can you post picks of your anti-wrap? I'm just about to weld mine together and mount it. (Got the pieces and brackets from Proffitts) I'd like to see how yours is put together...

I don't have pictures of the rear antiwrap but here is a link to front antiwrap I built. The rear is the same as the front only longer.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/222772-heavy-duty-traction-bar-front-axle.html

The birfield that broke is a stock one. The wheel was in the same position as in the picture. I have used Longfields which I believe are the first gen version. Since I have one birfield to use I will use it and when I brake again I will up grade to the 30 spline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom