Builds Builds: Bad Memory 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you figure out the oil pressure sender/gauge problem?

Did you figure out the oil pressure sender/gauge problem?
I did. Looks like the original engine that came in mine had the sensor on the block. Saying that because the wire for the connection is on that side and and just makes it to the block in length. The PO put a newer 2F in mine so my guess is that they used the old oil filter elbow that didn't have it there and the newer block that didn't have it as well. Plan is to get an elbow with the spot for the sender unit there and run a longer wire.

I haven't posted for a while but have been able to get a few things done in the past couple of months. I got rid of the old aluminum wheels and tires and threw on a new set of wheels that @Jdc1 helped me acquire. I mounted 33x10.5 KM3s on the wheels and they look amazing on it. I also rattle canned them for an extra layer of protection. This also allowed me to take off the rear fenders that had been added. Now I get to look at a bunch of holes in my tub.

Now for the fun! I had installed a new alternator a little over a month ago was having issues getting it to charge. Did as much testing as I knew how to do and then brought a friend that knew more than me. We couldn't get it working. So I put a call in to @ToyotaMatt for assistance. He worked with me, looking through the wiring diagram and helped me diagnose the problem in no time! I think I got a couple of looks from the woo! I yelled out when it was working. But I seriously cant thank Matt enough. The alternator is a great product and his help was invaluable!

Next up leaf springs and exhaust.
newwheels.jpg

In the past couple of weeks I have really been trying to get as much usage as I can in before winter hits and the salt hits the streets. When the weather hasn’t cooperated I have fit in a few projects. Added the city racer front and rear mats which really cleaned up the inside.
5D2520C7-9596-4EDB-A0B0-000F2909A460.jpeg

Also added the new shift shift boots.
Installed the front springs from Ironman with shackles from Man-a-fre and spring plate skid plates from sor. This added about 2” up front and made it sit nice and level.
66A3D77D-8B9F-4231-92FD-D8BA930E495F.jpeg

And since it’s getting darker out I added in the OEM upgrade headlight kits from city racer.
2BF5EED7-967E-43CC-B51C-C0C102FC8BED.jpeg

Well it has been a bit since I have done an update. By the end of summer I had a nice cruiser and was having fun taking the family on local trips. But then winter hit. being from northern Ohio that means salt and time to put things away that you dont want to have holes in them by spring. It also meant time for some small winter projects.

I have made up my mind that my goal with this cruiser is to protect what is there and when needed replace we good quality parts. Not looking to do a full restoration yet.

With that in mind I decided to clean up a few parts this winter. I started with the air cleaner. Nothing crazy, sand/wire brush it down and paint.
Since that was off I had a lot more access to the push rod galley cover which had a small leak and was the main reason I didnt park in peoples driveways. Pretty simple fix, new gaskey and new hardware to go with. Needed to pull the distributor and that reminded me that I handt replaced the spark plugs since getting it.
Since I was painting rusty things, I figured lets do the splashguard. Well unless there was an easier way I had to pull the radiator so the radiator housing got a coat as well.
And since that was out it was time to replace the lower radiator hose, the junction, the heater hoses and clean up the metal part that runs along the engine.

With all that out of the way, there was plenty of room to looking. One project I wanted to do this winter was a new exhaust. I recently found out that one of the hockey dads has a welder so that solved the problem of getting the flange connected to the pipe. Got two of the flange bolts out from below and the third one broke. What else is one to do? I pulled the manifold and successfully extracted the bolt.
Now I know I said this isn't going to be a restoration but this thing looks like crap... so off to be sand blasted and then figure out how I am going to coat it.

At least the air cleaner is painted.
69644629861__2DE2EAF6-3E48-44AC-A6BC-97131D33B695.jpg
IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1390.jpg

That ^ was funny. And typical 😂! Good work!

Starting to come back together. Radiator is back in and all the new hoses fit.
2479A6F4-9F12-4B52-B1E3-D73E66825F7E.jpeg

Built a new negative battery wire. Also replaced the temporary wire from the alternator with a permanent one soldered in (not to the alternator just to the wire it connects to).
71624B04-0AB0-4976-AB00-D3AB389CFE4E.jpeg

Don’t mind the water, had to wash some antifreeze off.

Question of the day though should my carb have two of the pieces that the arrow is pointing to? I feel like one is missing from the circle.
1154BD5F-19ED-49D8-9CE8-97AC4B8E74FA.jpeg

Also proud dad moment. My six year old son helped me put the fan back on. He had asked if there was a video game where he could work on cars. I told him to come out to the garage with me. It was great!

I have been waiting to get the manifold back so I took some time and went to the attic to see how much of a soft top I had from the PO.
Looks like I had all of it! Now do I spend all the time and money now to redo these hard doors only to redo them again when I inevitably paint it? Or get a set of soft doors for the spring and fall?

D8B7CAA5-96F7-431D-A0F7-D0B49582A3B7.jpeg
3B0642EF-12D0-414E-815B-F1BAD100BA47.jpeg

Question of the day though should my carb have two of the pieces that the arrow is pointing to? I feel like one is missing from the circle. View attachment 3240152
Yes. Those are vent tubes which communicate with the float bowl.
Where did the missing one go, one might wonder?

Yes. Those are vent tubes which communicate with the float bowl.
Where did the missing one go, one might wonder?
Great question. Fortunately it’s not a new problem. I noticed it when I was going over everything after I picked it up. It ran rough but ran all last summer like that. Can that be rebuilt/repaired? Or maybe it’s the efi route time

Great question. Fortunately it’s not a new problem. I noticed it when I was going over everything after I picked it up. It ran rough but ran all last summer like that. Can that be rebuilt/repaired? Or maybe it’s the efi route time
Looks like those vent tubes are just press in...
Hope your missing one didn't fall down and go through the engine.
I bet one of the Carb Gurus has a spare and knows how to put it in so that it stays

20230210_090227.jpg

20230210_090248.jpg

20230210_090304.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom