Building Metal Barn ... Structurally Sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m interested to see what your engineer comes back with...looking at it, I would possibly design the upper walls as a big truss. IMO, your main members are way undersized. Make sure to post up when you get your drawings back from the engineer.
I will be so ready to post my final plans. The last Structural Engineer continued to explain to me how much work he was going to do for me: Concrete & foundation plans, wind & snow calculations, seismic & tornado torque- stress criteria, Sun, heat & freeze calculatoins...... I would interrupt every so often and ask how much this little barn redesign was going to cost? He kept telling me how many stress tests he would do and about the qualifications he had.
I just need a simple Monitor Barn in an area that doesn't experience snow loads. Does experience some wind... and doesn't require an inspection. No electrict. No plumbing, No LP or Gas... Just a viable shell.
I pay an Architect $0.50/sf for a full set of plans to build off of...includung all the infrastructure, foundation, etc.

To say the least the Struct Eng was insulted when I said $0 50/sf.
I'm off to another Struct Eng!

I would tell you to go hire the architect to design your plans for you for $0.50 per square foot and thank you for your time. What's your budget for the barn? I'd estimate the _finished_ project into 6 figures if you have to pay someone to do it....

I’m interested to see what your engineer comes back with...looking at it, I would possibly design the upper walls as a big truss. IMO, your main members are way undersized. Make sure to post up when you get your drawings back from the engineer.
So BK. the columns for the 2nd floor are 4"x4"x3/16" with the connecting beams 2"x6"x1/8" spanning 24', the floor joists between the beams are 2"x6"x14ga, 16" centers spanning 12'. The 2nd floor will be wood... 1/2"-5/8ths osb subfloor with an antique oak or pine tongue n groove finish. Outlying side columns will be 4"x4"x1/8th with 2"x2" tubing frameout.
What should the weightbearing columns, etc be?
I would tell you to go hire the architect to design your plans for you for $0.50 per square foot and thank you for your time. What's your budget for the barn? I'd estimate the _finished_ project into 6 figures if you have to pay someone to do it....
Best case this 1728sf Barn shell will cost $30-33,000, (including the 2nd floor beams & joist but not finished) for a total of 2016sf Shell.
Hoping to pay $1000 for a minimal structural building plan.
This is not a in city ofc, retail, industrial or multi-residential complex. Just a simple Barn.
I may be way out of line for lots of people and don't mind waiting for someone who has a creative fun attitude about building!

BKFJ40,
Yes, I agree. After walking some two story metal buildings today that are under construction, I will need to beef up the core to 6-8" columns. I am going to add a stair case etc that will put another column under the second floor reducing the span to 18'... Hopefully I've found a Structural Eng. Will be talking with him Friday.

I built another Barn 6 years ago, much larger but only a Gable Roof and 30' of shed side... It only cost me $15/sf. My current project is only 2/3rds the size and is already at $17+.

Thank you

BKFJ40,
Yes, I agree. After walking some two story metal buildings today that are under construction, I will need to beef up the core to 6-8" columns. I am going to add a stair case etc that will put another column under the second floor reducing the span to 18'... Hopefully I've found a Structural Eng. Will be talking with him Friday.

I built another Barn 6 years ago, much larger but only a Gable Roof and 30' of shed side... It only cost me $15/sf. My current project is only 2/3rds the size and is already at $17+.

Thank you

Thank you

In my county (Parker), there has been a building boom going on for the last three years or so. The cost of concrete has gone up 65%, I'm surprised the cost of metal buildings has only gone up 13%.

There are some indications that things may be slowing a bit here finally - houses taking longer to sell, new house construction slowing. Just my observations in my part of the county, nothing scientific. Maybe the price of materials will come down a little after while.

In my county (Parker), there has been a building boom going on for the last three years or so. The cost of concrete has gone up 65%, I'm surprised the cost of metal buildings has only gone up 13%.

There are some indications that things may be slowing a bit here finally - houses taking longer to sell, new house construction slowing. Just my observations in my part of the county, nothing scientific. Maybe the price of materials will come down a little after while.
We will have to see how real estate sales go this Spring & Summer. They usually slow during winter. They also tend to stream with the economy & the political cycle!

I was down in Comanche area helping my grandson replacing 6 stran Wire fencing & posts yesturday. Glad he's young & abistious...
On my way home I stopped at a new construction site on the 281 just south of Frwy 20. Looks like I'll have to beef up the central core columns to accomodate the 2nd floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom