Builds Building Barbara - FJ80 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a pretty kinky bend in the passenger rear lower control arm while cruising around Kelly flats this afternoon.

I've got a trip planned for this weekend. Planning to get some 2"x1/4" DOM tube to cut and sleeve both arms tomorrow.

IMG_20200701_183224.jpg

Cut off the old joints from the bent control arm. They fit into a 1.5" ID tube pretty well. So I got some 2x1.5x0.25wall DOM and just ended up replacing the tube. This should be strong enough for anything I'm gonna do to them. I hope.

IMG_20200702_132229.jpg
IMG_20200702_134750.jpg

IMG_20200702_135508.jpg

IMG_20200702_142929.jpg

While attempting to break the send barrier today the semi float rear axle decided it had enough. Gonna try to source a fzj80 full float to swap in this week.

Maybe tons in the future...

IMG_20200713_022212_132.jpg

Any updates on this build? How is it holding up?
Hey sorry it’s been a while since I’ve been on here.

The driveline has been doing great!

Still need to add some more heat shielding for the cats. Also didn’t have much luck soldering together AC lines so I need to source some 100 series and 80 series lines to creat a set. The other thing I’m planning is to move the motor up 1” and back 1”. The AC compressor plumbing connections are very close to the power steering box.

I’ve been having some intense death wobble. So I recently rebushed the front control arms. Seems to be better but it’s only been a few days. The only thing left in the front end that isn’t less than a year old is the PS box. I’ve got a spare. I could swap.
85190C8A-AB7D-4B29-9152-ACEF811E7D64.jpeg

Thanks for the quick reply! I am thinking of doing this swap within the next year or so. Trying to figure out how feasible it would be to swap a H151 trans behind the 2UZ, or if I should just stick with the auto. How difficult was the wiring? Ive heard its a nightmare.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am thinking of doing this swap within the next year or so. Trying to figure out how feasible it would be to swap a H151 trans behind the 2UZ, or if I should just stick with the auto. How difficult was the wiring? Ive heard its a nightmare.
Honestly the wiring was the most technically challenging part of the swap, but if you can read an EWD or are at least willing to struggle through it with some assistance it’s not that bad. The signals for the most part have the same names between the 80 and 100. All that being said it’s not a small block Chevy swap

Switching to a manual would be nice, but the a750f is a great and smooth shifting transmission. Way better than a440 or 442. If you’ve got an a750f I’d run it otherwise manual might be a better move.

I’m not sure about bolting up the h151 as far as bolting them up. Might need a custom bellhousing and flywheel. I’m not sure

Honestly the wiring was the most technically challenging part of the swap, but if you can read an EWD or are at least willing to struggle through it with some assistance it’s not that bad. The signals for the most part have the same names between the 80 and 100. All that being said it’s not a small block Chevy swap

Switching to a manual would be nice, but the a750f is a great and smooth shifting transmission. Way better than a440 or 442. If you’ve got an a750f I’d run it otherwise manual might be a better move.

I’m not sure about bolting up the h151 as far as bolting them up. Might need a custom bellhousing and flywheel. I’m not sure
Will the A750F work behind a non-VVTi engine?

Little update.

After two years or so on my 2uz swap I was having some issues with the thing starting reliably. I had convinced myself it was MAF harness related. Although there were mostly zero fault codes. This morning I got a p2799 - ecu immobilizer fault. I immediately dig into my Russian immobilizer hack in the ecu. I found a cracked solder joint. I reflowed it and strain relieved the wiring. Put it back in and fired right up.
2357092D-610A-495B-A1DB-C715C6EA2A80.jpeg

Also, I added a rear winch - a warn m12000.
09BF1081-D9F6-48AA-A0B1-DF288A113088.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom