Building a 60 for family adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up my '83 FJ60 about 3 weeks ago out of Texas. My son and I flew out and drove it 500 miles back to Kansas and had a blast doing it. Within 50 miles of picking it up, the a/c compressor died in a amazing display of smoke. It made for a rather warm drive the rest of the way! One the drive home, I noted that the engine had a rough idle, the steering was loose, and the shifter was sloppy. Overall, it drove great and easily cruised along at 60 mph. I managed to get 14 mpg on the way home.

IMG_9525.jpeg

I've never owned a 60, but did have a '92 FJ80 for about 10 years ago. I never even driven a 60 until we started the drive back to KS. Over the last several weeks of living with it, I've started to compile a list of things that need to be fixed, maintenance items that need to be caught up on and modifications I'd like to do to get it ready for exploring/camping duty for my family. I've found a local Cruiser shop to do some work for me and give me a general health checkup.

Immediate concerns to be worked on by my Cruiser guy:
--Fix the a/c (compressor, drier, convert to 134)
--Tighten up the steering (Saginaw upgrade)
--Gas tank has a bunch of junk in it and is clogging up fuel filters (stock tank cleaned, recoated)
--It has a significant exhaust leak. Cat was removed and straight piped, but still getting exhaust in the cab.

My list:
--Deep clean
--Oil change
--Drain fill front/rear diffs, t-case, transmission

--Flush p/s, brake fluid, radiator
--Replace a/f, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, wires, gas cap (OEM parts ordered
--Replace rear view mirror (OEM ordered)
--Replace battery (Odyssey)
--Wire in external fuse block, fridge
--Fix sloppy shifter (SOR kit plus oem shifter parts ordered)
--Replace front seat belts
--Replace stock stereo and speakers, add rear speakers, replace aftermarket antenna with oem
--Remove carpet and add sound deadening material
--Replace front seats/seat tracks (Corbeau)
--Tint windows
--Rust repair on right rear fender
--Towing option (2" receiver hitch)

Things to add if there's money left:
--Dissent Off-Road rear bumper
--Dissent Off-Road front bumper w/ bull bar
--Replace tires (33x9.50-15 Kenda KR601 ordered 6/18/23)
--Center console (CCOT w/ cup holder ordered 6/18/23)

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting to work on this. I've got all summer to work on it, so I should make a good dent in the list.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new venture with the 60 series. Has to be my favorite one Toyota put out. Clean looking truck as well. Nothing like flying & driving to get to know the new ride. Let me know if you decide to sell the stock radio and speakers. Glad to see if we can do something that works out for both of us. And if you need any used 60 parts, I’m in favor of bartering. I’m sort of a hoarder on 60 stuff so I may be able to help out if needed.
Thanks. Jimmy

Congratulations on your new venture with the 60 series. Has to be my favorite one Toyota put out. Clean looking truck as well. Nothing like flying & driving to get to know the new ride. Let me know if you decide to sell the stock radio and speakers. Glad to see if we can do something that works out for both of us. And if you need any used 60 parts, I’m in favor of bartering. I’m sort of a hoarder on 60 stuff so I may be able to help out if needed.
Thanks. Jimmy
I'm not sure what I need unless you have a brown/tan front seat bottom cover. I'll let you know when I pull the radio.

Welcome aboard!

I'm not sure what I need unless you have a brown/tan front seat bottom cover. I'll let you know when I pull the radio.
Sounds good. I can help you with a brown seat bottom.

My 60 is currently in rehab, so while it's gone I am researching tow hitch options. There are a ton of old threads on this, but the options in them are discontinued. I've considered buying a rear bumper from Dissent that has a receiver integrated but that's $1250. It looks like the only "budget" option I've found is this from BTB Products. I'm not thrilled with having to drill holes, so if anyone has another option that is bolt on, I'm all ears.

I'm towing my Bantam 1/4 ton trailer with a pintle hitch, so nothing really heavy.

IMG_1132.JPG

Last edited:
just a quick ? how is your metal fab skills? the reason i ask is that to fab up a simple serviceable bumper with hitch abilities. as an example, check out my build thread here in the 60 section "the dragonship". good looking 60 you've got there by the way

just a quick ? how is your metal fab skills? the reason i ask is that to fab up a simple serviceable bumper with hitch abilities. as an example, check out my build thread here in the 60 section "the dragonship". good looking 60 you've got there by the way
I have no skills and at this point have not any friends who can make me something.

I like your list of work to do. Keep it simple and relatively unmodified. But also keep those stock wheels!

Kenda KR601's in the 33x9.50 flavor are on sale at Walmart for $195. They've been listed at $264, so when I saw them back on sale today, I jumped on a set. I've now locked myself into cleaning up my rusty, chrome wheels. I'll have some 31x10.50-15's Cooper MT's for sale in KC if anyone is interested.

Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 12.23.20 PM.png

Looks like a great truck. If the front knuckles haven't been done, they are probably due. I like your tire size choice. Welcome aboard and congratulations on your purchase of one of the best vehicles ever made. Check out the mods for under $50 section.

Just got a call from the shop that's been working on the 60--the engine seized on a test run. The engine has been running really well before and then it just quit. They can't figure out what happened, but believe something in the bottom gave out. I'm gutted. It looks like my best option is to hope they can find a good used engine or have mine rebuilt. It's going to kill my budget...

Last edited:
My 60 is currently in rehab, so while it's gone I am researching tow hitch options. There are a ton of old threads on this, but the options in them are discontinued. I've considered buying a rear bumper from Dissent that has a receiver integrated but that's $1250. It looks like the only "budget" option I've found is this from BTB Products. I'm not thrilled with having to drill holes, so if anyone has another option that is bolt on, I'm all ears.

I'm towing my Bantam 1/4 ton trailer with a pintle hitch, so nothing really heavy.

View attachment 3350566

I pulled the same sort of trailer with mine with the same color truck:

IMG_6846.jpg

camp1.jpg
2016-08-03 08.40.12.jpg

I used this hitch for mine:

Amazon product ASIN B000765DW2
Its not made for a cruiser and you have to drill holes to make it fit (do not underestimate what it takes to do this) as well as enlarge some of the holes on the hitch itself, but it did work:

IMG_5382.jpg
IMG_5380.jpg

The BTB products one should work great, but proud of it. If I had to do it again I would have just gotten that one. Sounds like you have bigger fish these days so this is likely a backburner project for you now. Sorry about the motor. HTH.

LS conversion should seriously be considered.
I was told $9000 to have it done. That's far more than I can spend right now. I don't have the skill and tools to even consider doing it myself.

I've been thinking about this engine rebuild and am realizing that there are going to be a lot of extra costs associated with it that I originally had not considered. I was rough quoted $3k-$4k for the whole process which I believe includes all new gaskets, machining and installation. What I had not considered is what components I should replace while the engine is out. I should probably do a new radiator (not sure what kind), starter (old one is fine), alternator (OE seems to be fine but an upgrade might be nice), new hoses, belts, water pump, and a new clutch. Is there anything else I need to think about? I was thinking about doing the header from JT Outfitters since the old manifold needs to come off anyway.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. I feel like this $4,000 engine is going to be more like $6,000+.

I’m not sure I would replace everything around the engine. However, it will be a good time to inspect most of the components. I would definitely do the clutch, water pump, and all the rubber hoses/belts (if they are really old). I would also do all the seals including oil cooler, rear main, and oil filter hanger (I’m not sure what all would be included with your rebuild)

The radiator could be tested and repainted but I’m not sure I would replace if it did not need it. If you are not having problems with the stater just leave it. Starters also are pretty easy to rebuild and could be done anytime. Headers are cool but not necessary. If you are smogged then headers will make you desmog…. Which is a process but isn’t too bad.

Really I would do all regular maintenance stuff and just get the cruiser up and running.

@KS-Ryan , just a thought, why not try to score a 2F coming out of a 60 that's getting hotrodded with what ever? may be post up in the classifieds want ads :hmm:
by the way, never sell yourself short on your capabilities. may the mechanical deities smile upon your endeavors

I've been thinking about this engine rebuild and am realizing that there are going to be a lot of extra costs associated with it that I originally had not considered. I was rough quoted $3k-$4k for the whole process which I believe includes all new gaskets, machining and installation. What I had not considered is what components I should replace while the engine is out. I should probably do a new radiator (not sure what kind), starter (old one is fine), alternator (OE seems to be fine but an upgrade might be nice), new hoses, belts, water pump, and a new clutch. Is there anything else I need to think about? I was thinking about doing the header from JT Outfitters since the old manifold needs to come off anyway.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. I feel like this $4,000 engine is going to be more like $6,000+.
i'm 2nding what @bcolvin mentioned, some of your list is called "project creep" or "while i'm in here". unchained it can be very discouraging, speaking from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom