Building a 60 for family adventures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@KS-Ryan , just a thought, why not try to score a 2F coming out of a 60 that's getting hotrodded with what ever? may be post up in the classifieds want ads :hmm:
by the way, never sell yourself short on your capabilities. may the mechanical deities smile upon your endeavors
This is an option that we are exploring. I'm preparing for worst case scenario so I have an idea of what it would cost.

I’m not sure I would replace everything around the engine. However, it will be a good time to inspect most of the components. I would definitely do the clutch, water pump, and all the rubber hoses/belts (if they are really old). I would also do all the seals including oil cooler, rear main, and oil filter hanger (I’m not sure what all would be included with your rebuild)

The radiator could be tested and repainted but I’m not sure I would replace if it did not need it. If you are not having problems with the stater just leave it. Starters also are pretty easy to rebuild and could be done anytime. Headers are cool but not necessary. If you are smogged then headers will make you desmog…. Which is a process but isn’t too bad.

Really I would do all regular maintenance stuff and just get the cruiser up and running.
I appreciate your thoughts. I've only driven the cruiser about 700 miles since I bought it in May (most of that was the drive home) and there were no cooling issues. The alternator and starter appear to be working fine as well. I could certainly save some by not buying all of the new stuff.

@KS-Ryan , total change of present topic, did you get those kendas mounted n driven on? if so, what's your initial impression of them?
They are still sitting in the garage. I was going to get them mounted as soon as I got the Cruiser back. Once I get them mounted, I'll post a review.

Sorry to hear this Ryan. I’ll poke around and see if I can find a 2F reasonably and local(y). Lots of knowledge and help here in KC.

Sorry to hear this Ryan. I’ll poke around and see if I can find a 2F reasonably and local(y). Lots of knowledge and help here in KC.
I appreciate it. Jess is looking at options for me, but he's also getting ready for SAS, so I don't expect to hear anything until he's back from that.

Welp, engine spun a rear main bearing. There was a fair amount of water in the oil (which was a fresh oil change) and a crack at the thermostat housing was found. My mechanic also thinks the head cracked. My mechanic is working on building me another engine. Maybe one day I'll get to drive it again!

Welp, engine spun a rear main bearing. There was a fair amount of water in the oil (which was a fresh oil change) and a crack at the thermostat housing was found. My mechanic also thinks the head cracked. My mechanic is working on building me another engine. Maybe one day I'll get to drive it again!

Hang in there man, it’ll happen. Just meditate your way to the good times ahead.

Hang in there. I wouldn’t bother to change the starter and alternator. Those are easy to change anytime. I would do the water pump.

Good to hear that you're close to having the 60 back.

Hope all works out well for you. I was excited to see another FJ60 owner in the Otown! and then bummed out to keep reading about your engine troubles. Please keep us updated on how things are going and I hope to see you driving around town soon.

I just bought a 1987 FJ60 this week and starting some of the same processes and upgrades.
I should take possesion of it here in Montana in the next few days- no rust, stock, with 111k miles on the truck.
FJ6013.jpg

I finally have it back!!! The engine was partially rebuilt using a 1978 2F block. It was resealed and the best parts from my engine and the "new" block were used. The head was machined. The steering was upgraded to Saginaw.

I've put about 300 miles on it in the last week and overall it's been great. I still have exhaust fumes getting into the cabin and that is the next issue I need to tackle. While my mechanic had it, he removed the cat and welded in a straight pipe because he thought it might be leaking from there. It's certainly not as bad, but the fumes are still in the cabin, most notable when the heat is on. I've read countless threads on this and it appears it can be a million things. First, i am going to check on the steering shaft seal as I see that this is a common way that exhaust gets into the cabin. After that, I'm not sure where to go. I am quickly running out of budget and can't just throw a whole new exhaust on it hoping that will fix it. Any suggestions here would be helpful.

Couple things; I have extra sound deader and foam from my project so let me know if you need that. Also, you’re welcome to my 2” hitch as my Dissent rear w/swing out should be here in a few weeks…that’s if you don’t already have that on order 😉

Removing cat/cats is illegal, but I’m sure while they were working and set it aside, some crack head stole it, right 😉

What’s the status with your charcoal canister? Hope to see you around town…love the rootbeer ones 😍

@Flatlanderfj40, I didn't know about the cat. I assumed because there was no emissions testing, it wouldn't be a big deal. The steering shaft seal looks good so that isn't the issue. I did get a new charcoal canister, but have yet to install it. I'll do that in the next couple of days to see if that helps.

I really want the Dissent bumpers, but the engine took all the money I had for bumpers :rolleyes: . I will just have to drool over yours for now. I'm interested in your rear hitch, let me know what you want for it and I'll come pick it up when you take it off. Thanks for letting me know about that.

I'm also interested in the sound deadening, but am not quite ready to do that yet. I'll do that later this winter when I tear the whole interior out.

I've been driving it every day since I got it back. I left it at home today because of the exhaust, but I'm sure you'll see me at some point.

I finally have it back!!! The engine was partially rebuilt using a 1978 2F block. It was resealed and the best parts from my engine and the "new" block were used. The head was machined. The steering was upgraded to Saginaw.

I've put about 300 miles on it in the last week and overall it's been great. I still have exhaust fumes getting into the cabin and that is the next issue I need to tackle. While my mechanic had it, he removed the cat and welded in a straight pipe because he thought it might be leaking from there. It's certainly not as bad, but the fumes are still in the cabin, most notable when the heat is on. I've read countless threads on this and it appears it can be a million things. First, i am going to check on the steering shaft seal as I see that this is a common way that exhaust gets into the cabin. After that, I'm not sure where to go. I am quickly running out of budget and can't just throw a whole new exhaust on it hoping that will fix it. Any suggestions here would be helpful.
The guy at the coffee shop commented on mine and said "All Land Cruisers smell like that" lol.
My understanding: If you delete the cat, you will have fumes from the exhaust.
In the cabin? Check hose connection on the the fuel line. Also float bowl and accelerator pump gaskets.
DO THAT FIRST THING ON A COLD DAY.
I yelled because I fixed a fuel leak yesterday that only leaked on that condition.
And of course, the charcoal can again. The GM unit isn't as cool looking, but works great.

I'm not sure if it's related, but there a fuel odor in the garage if the Cruiser has been sitting in it all day with the door closed. Also, the other night when I pulled away from a parking lot, my friends who were standing there said the exhaust smelled like burnt oil. Last night, I drove about a 150 miles and I noticed the exhaust fume smell after I have been driving for an hour or so. The fuel line should be new because the tank was dropped and cleaned while it was at the mechanic. I'll double check the line though. I don't know anything about carbs, so I'll have to find a diagram of it to find the gaskets mentioned above.

I'm going to install the new GM charcoal canister tomorrow. I guess I shouldn't have had the cat removed, but wasn't advised by my mechanic that I shouldn't do that. I guess I'll start pricing out a new cat and possibly replace the rest of the system if the canister doesn't fix it.

Thank you again for the suggestions, they are very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom