(Build Thread) New Purchase - '95 Chopped 4Runner on Tons and 40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got it home and ran it in a ditch:
IMG_9092[1].JPG
IMG_9099[1].JPG
IMG_9091[1].JPG
MVGX3992[1].JPG

That is some serious axle angle-age, or whatever you call that

Put new tail lights in it, re-zip-tied what was left of the grille. Took it to URE for a shakedown run:
XAJB7235[1].JPG
IMG_9171[1].JPG

Last edited:
Many parts swapped over, lots of cleaning and sorting and here we sit. Almost street legal again:
IMG_5581[1].JPG
IMG_5580[1].JPG
IMG_5582[1].JPG
IMG_5584[1].JPG
IMG_5583[1].JPG

Here's a partial build thread for this truck as created by @CreeperSleeper in the Hardcore Forum here on mud five years ago:

Chad didn't keep the truck for long and then he traded it for a buggy. I can't find much online about the owner after Chad, but I have spoken to him. He re-did a lot of the suspension geometry and made some decent upgrades like bead locks, seats, etc. Then he sold it to the guy I bought it from in '19. The guy I bought it from didn't do much with it other than run it. He said that he liked to run sections of the Rubicon on the weekends and he mentioned that it had made it up all the winch hills at Fordyce without winching :meh:

Dave where the hell do you park all these vehicles you keep buying. That has been one of my biggest problems for me.
Is your shop big enough to park a few inside it?

Dave where the hell do you park all these vehicles you keep buying. That has been one of my biggest problems for me.
Is your shop big enough to park a few inside it?
I keep the 55 and the 40 inside my 20'x20' detached shop. My 60 lives about 20 minutes away in the 40'x40' shop on the property where my folks lived (they are both deceased). The rest of the trucks live outside on the driveway at my house except for my wife's LX, which lives in our attached garage. My neighbors know me as "the guy with all the Toyotas" and most of them think I run some sort of repair shop out of my garage.

Storage is obviously a problem. My intention is to eventually purchase my folks' old place to take advantage of the 40'x40' shop there. Between the shop and the attached 20'x40' lean-to shed on the back, I think I can keep everything under roof at that location.

Last edited:
I did a ditch flex test with the new old grille, headlights and marker lights in place...FAIL! I welded on some bump stop extensions, hoping that would cut down some of my uptravel...FAIL! The marker lights are the problem. At full stuff, the tire gets into the bottom corner of the marker lights on both sides, and that doesn't even account for the tire swinging left and right turning at full stuff. With Nathan's birthday trail ride only a day away, I had to get out the angle grinder and cut off everything I had done. I'm thinking I will go back to the chopped off grille, fab up a couple of brackets for some cheap 7" round headlights and run some tiny fender-mounted marker lights to keep it legal. I did drive the truck a few miles down the highway and it gets kinda' sketchy above 45mph. It's definitely no street truck, but if it can get me to the gas station and the trail head legally without being hassled by the man, I'm happy.

Last edited:
I did a ditch flex test with the new old grille, headlights and marker lights in place...FAIL! I welded on some bump stop extensions, hoping that would cut down some of my uptravel...FAIL! The marker lights are the problem. At full stuff, the tire gets into the bottom corner of the marker lights on both sides, and that doesn't even account for the tire swinging left and right turning at full stuff. With Nathan's birthday trail ride only a day away, I had to get out the angle grinder and cut off everything I had done. I'm thinking I will go back to the chopped off grille, fab up a couple of brackets for some cheap 7" round headlights and run some tiny fender-mounted marker lights to keep it legal. I did drive the truck a few miles down the highway and it gets kinda' sketchy above 45mph. It's definitely no street truck, but if it can get me to the gas station, and the trail head legally and without being hassled by the man, I'm happy.
Round LED headlights next to the grill should look badass w/ the cut fenders. Can't wait to see this thing in action. Also a little jealous.

Spent Nathan's birthday weekend at URE. 4Runner did great. At the top, killed the engine and the truck sat for a minute with the driver side at a pretty steep downhill angle and it did not want to start back up. Fuel pump is on the passenger side of the bed-mounted fuel cell, so I assume it starved for fuel. Once I got a little push to a more level spot it fired right up. I filled it up at the gas station after our run and it took 5 gallons. That means it was roughly at half a tank when it failed to start. Any creative solutions on how I might keep fuel flowing at off camber angles? I'm open to suggestions.

IMG_9313[1].JPG
IMG_9315[1].JPG
IMG_2056[1].JPG
IMG_2070[1].JPG

You could look into holley hydramat. It’s mainly used in racing applications but it essentially lays along the bottom of the tank and wicks fuel to the pump from whatever it touches.

Or obviously relocate the pickup or install a baffle.

Surge tank. I'm looking at one for my pig. Factory pump just keeps surge topped off, new pump in surge tank feeds engine.

This is the unit I'm looking at. Not cheap, but it should fix any starving issues at any angle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom