Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow over a month and all Crickets here !
Motivation has been in the dumpster :confused:
I did get some home project done that I have been putty of for years.
I replaced two of the main support beams under our back deck, they where dry rotted.
1700260465700.png

Then I rebuilt the hand rail, made it full height to support a deck cover.
1700260621737.png

Then build the roof cover.
1700260873308.png

It got a metal roof because of the low pitch.
1x6 Pine T&G was installed on the ceiling.
1700261108234.png

1700261166571.png

The young Man in the pictures (Gavin ) is going to Cal Poly and has been helping me around the place 1 day a week for the last few months.
Of course then there was the paint, once it was all cleaned up then the old exterior light looked like hell 😂bust out the wallet for some new lights
1700261658710.png

And some ginger bead
1700261775414.png

All the hardware is blind ( hidden ) on the hand rail.
1700261847119.png

Clean holes were cut into the top cap of the hand rail and then slid down over the posts.
1700262162623.png

We repurposed the original cap, that piece of wood is 23 years old sanded, holes cut, oiled and reinstalled. The wood is Ipa it from the rain forest, it's amazing wood that lasts forever.

The main reason for the porch cover is the two French Doors on the porch would leak during heavy rain storms. My wife and I actually built the house 24 years ago, yes I mean we really did the work ;)
At the time I knew it was a bad idea not to have a cover over the doors ( I designed the house and drew up the plans ) but I did not want to block the view in any way as we look straight out to the pacific Ocean.
1700263933866.png

But this also means that the big storms just pummels us. This last year was just to much enough wind driven rain got in that the real maple hardwood floors got buckled and who knows what the sub floors look like. The hole county was a mess 3 blocks from us homes were under 2' of water, they declared a state of emergence across the county.
After over 40 years of beaning with Farmers Ins. I filed a claim and was denied :mad:
I told Patricia theirs no sense in fixing the floors & doors tell we get the root of the problem fixed, And you don't want to add a roof to a deck that need new support beams. So there you have it were working from the bottom up.
Now that this part is all done we can start on the floors, but not until the Cruiser is back together :cool:

Last edited:
IPE is the type of wood I'd like to use in the bed of my 52 Ford F3.
Perfect wood for that !!
It’s been used on flat bed truck beds forever.
It’s super heavy but also super strong.
I also used it on the deck and it’s still in great shape 23 years later.
Deck boards are only 3/4” thick, if it was redwood it would have to be 11/2”

PS really like those old Fords 🤫

Last edited:
Rich, wow. You’re incredibly talented! We already knew that though!!

And not for nothing, but I put up my humble garden shed and you go show us “blind hardware”, wood older than my oldest son and in better shape, and views that go for miles, ipa which I thought was a beer and shall I go on? You win 🤣

Amazing work as always.

Wow over a month and all Crickets here !
Motivation has been in the dumpster :confused:
I did get some home project done that I have been putty of for years.
I replaced two of the main support beams under our back deck, they where dry rotted.
View attachment 3484452
Then I rebuilt the hand rail, made it full height to support a deck cover.
View attachment 3484455
Then build the roof cover.
View attachment 3484458
It got a metal roof because of the low pitch.
1x6 Pine T&G was installed on the ceiling.
View attachment 3484465
View attachment 3484469
The young Man in the pictures (Gavin ) is going to Cal Poly and has been helping me around the place 1 day a week for the last few months.
Of course then there was the paint, once it was all cleaned up then the old exterior light looked like hell 😂bust out the wallet for some new lights
View attachment 3484482
And some ginger bead
View attachment 3484485
All the hardware is blind ( hidden ) on the hand rail.
View attachment 3484486
Clean holes were cut into the top cap of the hand rail and then slid down over the posts.
View attachment 3484487
We repurposed the original cap, that piece of wood is 23 years old sanded, holes cut, oiled and reinstalled. The wood is Ipa it from the rain forest, it's amazing wood that lasts forever.

Nice work. Looks like you may have done this stuff once or twice before.
Keep up the practice, you'll really get the hang of it soon enough 👌

🤣

Rich, wow. You’re incredibly talented! We already knew that though!!

And not for nothing, but I put up my humble garden shed and you go show us “blind hardware”, wood older than my oldest son and in better shape, and views that go for miles, ipa which I thought was a beer and shall I go on? You win 🤣

Amazing work as always.
Nice work. Looks like you may have done this stuff once or twice before.
Keep up the practice, you'll really get the hang of it soon enough 👌

🤣
Thanks for the kind words Guys

Will finally some progress, Axle housing and the diff made it to the paint both.
1700617054791.png

1700617129047.png

Now I well start on the funnest part of a front end service cleaning all the parts :rolleyes:

Two questions for you. What paint did you use, and what brand/where did you get your axle truss?

Two questions for you. What paint did you use, and what brand/where did you get your axle truss?
Rust-Oleum Gloss Black, If I wasn't such a cheap ass I would use semigloss but it only comes in the regular size can, the Gloss can be had in the extra large can for the same price.
The Axle truss was custom made by me :cool:

Nice. . Good work. You didn't make two or three did ya? 😏😅

I'm looking into using Eastwoods chassis extreme high gloss black spray paint.

Nice. . Good work. You didn't make two or three did ya? 😏😅

I'm looking into using Eastwoods chassis extreme high gloss black spray paint.
It seem that I'm always breaking,changing,welding or fixing something so cheap rattle can paint is fine.

I would like to repaint my car trailer that Eastwood paint might be the ticket !

Nice carpentry work.
How did you attach the new roof to the house? Was there enough room for a header board under the existing roof?

Nice carpentry work.
How did you attach the new roof to the house? Was there enough room for a header board under the existing roof?
Thanks for the kind words
It's attached to Fascia board and counter flashed under the drip flashing that the rain gutters usually tuck under. We got 1.5" of rain in just a few hours the other day no leaks :)
I had to dig deep into my bag of tricks to make it all work/fit and still look right, do I think it's strong enough yes, would it pass code :rolleyes:

More cleaning and installed a LandTank diff stud kit ready to drop the diff in.
Then get that baby back under the truck.

IMG_4836.jpeg

My Son Thayer is visiting and we got the third dropped in and the Axle under the truck, slooooooooowly getting it back together.
1700969146598.png

Then we went to Christmas Light show /Fair
1700969331036.png

Baby steps knuckles cleaned and installed
1701561208855.png

1701561297480.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom