Broken Screw in Rear Tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.landscrambler.com
Ugh.

I was advised to tighten my rear brackets in order for my tailgate to be tighter and rattle less. While tightening, the screw broke. :bang:

I have no f**king idea what to do. I've tried to unscrewing with needle nose and I aint moving.

IMG_0018.JPG

I would center punch it and then drill it out. Start with a small bit (maybe 20-25% of the diameter) and then step it up a few sizes. Then u should be able to back out the remaining screw once the major part of the screw is gone. Then run a tap through the hole. Sounds easy but it's always a PITA.

IMG_6453.JPG

Thanks @CenTXFJ60 just ordered a set of small bits. What do you mean by run a tap through the hole?
check out Matt's picture above. That is what you'll need. I'm not sure of the size you'll need

You could try to pull that screw from the inside if it is got enough threadso to grip from... or access to it.
this would mean taking of the signal housing...from the outside..

Can you and do you have access to a welder? I had a bolt break off on my tcase and put a nut over the broken
end, then welded down into the broken stud to the overlying nut. The heat should break the threads free
and then you should be able to turn the nut out.

Sorry for my lack of understanding but what do I do with that? Does that go in the center of the drilled out screw?
Yes, the tap is what made the threads originally. The idea is to recut the internal threads so that the new screw doesn't break like the old one did. You can borrow (rent) one at NAPA or Autozone. It'll come in a set with a tap handle to turn it. Resist the temptation to use your crescent wrench.

Be sure to use some tapping fluid (it's really sticky oil, made especially for this purpose) and turn 1/4 turn in, then 1/4 turn out, 1/2 turn in 1/4 turn out, until you're at the bottom of the hole, or have gone all the way through. If the tap sticks, take it out, clean it, oil it with tapping fluid, clean out the hole as best you can, and try again. Do not force the tap into the hole; taps aren't screws. They are hardened steel and are brittle. If you break one in a hole, you'll do more damage getting it out than it's worth.

This may be a weld nut; I can't remember. If it is, you'll be done in about 30 seconds; if the tap sticks, and you force it, you may risk breaking the weld. I don't wan't to sound like Debbie Downer here, just trying to make you aware of what you're in for.

Remove the tail light and try to get at what's left on the other side...maybe. Vice grips, pub blaster.

Just spitballing here, I assume the screw turned, before it broke. If it did, you should be able to grind a slot in it with a Dremel tool, or something similar, and back it out with a really long screwdriver. If it wasn't moving, and it broke because it was rusted internally or from behind, you might have some luck with PM Blaster or naval jelly and penetrating oil, and then the screwdriver.

I mention this because if you drill the screw out, you'll have trash inside the body panel. I'm OCD; that would bug me.

There's always more than one way to do everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom