Breather Questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shadowlightpsych.com
2010,%2004-29%20to%2005-01%20(221)[1].jpg

I am finally getting around to extending the diff breathers on my ‘80. I have read a bunch of threads on this subject, most of them pretty old, which has been good, it would seem owners have been thinking about and experimenting with this for a while. I am wondering though if overtime one method has proved to be more effective/less problematic than another.

Initially my plan was to run isolated lines with filters attached from all cases to a high point in the engine compartment. Then I read somewhere that longer lines might cause increased condensation contamination. Does anyone have evidence that suggests there is truth to this? If so, what is the best alternative to the engine compartment for the rear diff?

Also, some have suggested venting the cases to the air filter housing. I like this idea for some reason, but I have read some concerns about vacuum, obstruction of airflow, etc... Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you go about it? Any problems? (pictures as always would be helpful)

I am also running a breather for the distributor but uncertain where to terminate it. Again, I like the air filter housing idea... bad idea?

I want to seal the distributor for obvious reasons, but I have also come across threads that suggest owners have run breathers for the starter and alt. Interested in opinions on how important running breathers to those components are, and if there are any other parts it would be a good idea to waterproof…

Last edited:
Your over thinking this
Just run your lines to a good high dry place
Rear I went to the jack comparment
Front up near the charcoal canister area
Put a crappy little filter on the end your done
You dont need a breather for the dizzy most guys just seal them up IIRC
Dont bother with breathers for the starter or alternater there is no way to do it
And if you are worried about those little things what about the motor
The most important thing of all, what about a snorkle

thats how I roll :D

Thats obvious by your avitar
Nothing wrong with that
Keep it simple
Like i said you should think about a snorkle also if you are concerned
MarkW on the forum here would know more about dealing with water

Put more thought into this while I was actually looking under the hood and not sitting at the desk. Yeah, um sealing up the starter & alt? That was probably a goofy idea, didn't think that one through, but I swear I read it somewhere. Anyway, in my research, other than speculation, I found no evidence that running diff breathers to the air box is problematic. So I decided to experiment myself. I drilled a hole and attached a port. Used two different gauges to check for vacuum at idle and open throttle. Got a tiny, split second jump in one gauge when snapping the throttle open, but vacuum never reached even .5 in Hg. So I have decided to run the experiment a little further and route all my case vents to the air box. Still concerned about possible condensation issues, and also somewhere I read that long horizontal sections of breather hose are prone to clogging. I hope the inline fuel filters will take care of some of the problem, but plan to check the hoses/oil condition frequently.

...You dont need a breather for the dizzy most guys just seal them up IIRC...

I’m thinking the distributor is vented for a reason so the idea of sealing it completely seems wrong. But I think I’ll run a breather to the interior rather than the air box as it seems the distributor might be more disposed to slight negative pressure changes that could draw water in. I have onboard air and thought about running a pressure system but it seems much. What I am doing already is probably overkill, but I am having fun.

What I’ve done so far:

P1310663.jpg
P1310666.jpg

Last edited:
@ atomicshawn. I see you have organized those hose neatly. Now, why are there 4 lines: 2 diff, 1 alt, 1 starter?

I also heard some people somehow have connected diff breathers to the snorkel, specially for risen creeks. Don't know if it might be happening any issue.

Regarding on the distributor have seen it sealed in 2F and 3F for the same reason, but in a 1FZE don't know.

winstonclein-albums-internet-somehow-have-impressed-picture19538-diving-crossing-river.jpg

Last edited:
^^^Crazy picture. He needs to turn on his wipers ;)

Four lines: 2 diff, 1 t-case, 1 AT. Keeping them separate to avoid cross contamination in the event water is introduced some other route, say through a seal. Apparently it can mix with the oil, froth up, and blow it out the breather. This possibility is one of the other arguments why running it to the air box is a bad idea as some say it could foul the intake all the way into the manifold. Maybe on a jeep, but the way the ’80 box is designed it would take a gallon of fluid to fill the canister and get into to the engine. My argument is, if this happened the mess would be contained in the box vs. running down the firewall or in the interior of the veh as some have suggested terminating the lines. We’ll see. It’s an experiment.

There is debate whether there is any benefit to running a snorkel when doing water crossings with a lifted ’80. I’m undecided at this point. Beside the cleaner, cooler air argument, one added benefit of having a snorkel I heard recently was a guy told me he was traveling in Africa and was ambushed. Somebody swung a club and it the snorkel instead of the windshield making it easier to escape. Not planning on traveling to Africa anytime soon but there are some rougher neighborhoods in my town ;)

Another reason to get one is that I have heard “chicks dig snorkels” and it is this aphrodisiac aspect of having snorkel that I find most compelling :lol:

The beauty of this setup is if I do decide to go with a snorkel the cases will already be plumbed to it.

Last edited:
DO NOT SEAL THE DISTRIBUTOR! Moisture will still collect due to condensation and wreck the electrics...
(I experienced this first hand.)

Now you can run vent lines if you wish without issues. I think the distributor housing has two/maybe 3 vent holes. With any water crossing you are still at a disadvantage due to having a distributor, diesels don't have these issues when submerging.

Where is PHOTOMAN when you need him?!? He's experimented with all of this already. Including alt and str.

What about the difflockers vent. That is the normaly trobble on that eletric actulator, they got water inside and got som disapointed owners.
I put a ventilations from rear diff, connect the actulator to it and connected also the trannys to that before it ended under the hood. Make also a line from frontaxlevent up to the same filter under hood.

I got a 1HD-T, whit snorkel too, but dont have big plans to have water over the hood. (J-lifted)

^^^Crazy picture. He needs to turn on his wipers ;)

Four lines: 2 diff, 1 t-case, 1 AT. Keeping them separate to avoid cross contamination in the event water is introduced some other route, say through a seal. Apparently it can mix with the oil, froth up, and blow it out the breather. This possibility is one of the other arguments why running it to the air box is a bad idea as some say it could foul the intake all the way into the manifold. Maybe on a jeep, but the way the ’80 box is designed it would take a gallon of fluid to fill the canister and get into to the engine. My argument is, if this happened the mess would be contained in the box vs. running down the firewall or in the interior of the veh as some have suggested terminating the lines. We’ll see. It’s an experiment.

There is debate whether there is any benefit to running a snorkel when doing water crossings with a lifted ’80. I’m undecided at this point. Beside the cleaner, cooler air argument, one added benefit of having a snorkel I heard recently was a guy told me he was traveling in Africa and was ambushed. Somebody swung a club and it the snorkel instead of the windshield making it easier to escape. Not planning on traveling to Africa anytime soon but there are some rougher neighborhoods in my town ;)

Another reason to get one is that I have heard “chicks dig snorkels” and it is this aphrodisiac aspect of having snorkel that I find most compelling :lol:

With this setup, if I do decide to go with a snorkel the cases will already be plumbed to it.

I agree with 4 separate lines. I ran all of mine to the highest point I could get to under the hood.

I did put a snorkel on my 80. It does make a difference. If you cross water very high at all, it will get into the air intake (which is above your right wheelwell). I stalled my truck out crossing water several times. It restarted immediately and didn't miss which told me the water was choking the air input. I haven't had it happen since I added a snorkel.

Make sure you create a bow wave when you enter the water and it will keep the water at a safe level within your engine bay. Creating a bow wave doesn't mean hitting the water at high speed. That will create a problem. Just a nice steady entry and crossing where the water bows up in front of your grill. I also helps to put a sheet of screen over your grill.

Last edited:
DO NOT SEAL THE DISTRIBUTOR! Moisture will still collect due to condensation and wreck the electrics...
(I experienced this first hand.)

Yep, thanks, I figured as much. Sealing it just seemed like a bad idea.

What about the difflockers vent. That is the normaly trobble on that eletric actulator, they got water inside and got som disapointed owners.
(J-lifted)

Good advise. Not something I'll need to worry about though, I'm running arb's.

I did put a snorkel on my 80. It does make a difference. If you cross water very high at all, it will get into the air intake (which is above your right wheelwell). I stalled my truck out crossing water several times. It restarted immediately and didn't miss which told me the water was choking the air input. I haven't had it happen since I added a snorkel.

Make sure you create a bow wave when you enter the water and it will keep the water at a safe level within your engine bay. Creating a bow wave doesn't mean hitting the water at high speed. That will create a problem. Just a nice steady entry and crossing where the water bows up in front of your grill. I also helps to put a sheet of screen over your grill.

So is that guy in the picture a few posts back creating a "bow wave"? ;) Seriously though, I appreciate your insight Jack. If you were in water deep enough that it was choking your engine to the point of stalling, and that was your only problem, that scares the **** out of me. It's the "it would only take going too deep once to ruin your engine" argument that has me leaning toward finishing this little project off with a snorkel.

From the forum I have searched they have modified the distributor making two holes on it (not cap). As per forum, both holes connected to a hose each: 1 to cabin (fresh air) and the other to carb (they use 1FZ 4.5 in that case). The idea is creating vacuum system.
Also is mentioned not to sealed the distributor completely due to damage.

In the case of 2F and 3F, same thing 2 holes with holes connected and sealing distributor cap and drainage hole.

Serie 70 Sellado de distribuidor con compresor

So is that guy in the picture a few posts back creating a "bow wave"? ;)

In this case, that guy in the pictures's been pulled from the other side of the creek to cross it, but with the engine running. He has to get in and out of the water by himself unless the vehicle is unable to perform that. If that is the case, the LC will be pulled out immediately of the way.
In some other cases, it is not necessary to be pulled.

A bow wave? it'd be ideal in some cases, but:

YouTube - ‪Funrace4x4 IV valida Aroa 2006‬‏

YouTube - ‪fun race 4x4 copa toyota‬‏

All of them gasoline, there is not diesel LC in Venezuela unless is been imported but extremely rare.

Last edited:
The next piece of the project
P1310716.jpg
P1310716.jpg
P1310718.jpg
P1310721.jpg

Last edited:
atomicshawn

Post some information on the filter and bracket.

Thanks
Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom