BP-51 for the 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did Bp51’s in the rear on dobinson 3” (been in for a year) along with a hd sway bar and hd LCP sway bar links. The ride doesn’t sway much unless i get really aggressive with the wheel. Feels great! Not sure how it will be wheeling but ill find out soon!

4CC6D240-D261-4470-BC06-B367E710BBD3.jpeg

Still waiting for arb to produce a rebuild kit. I’ve had them for 5 years but I think they are toast
53162418-1532-4103-83E4-64317E7C0950.jpeg
8D7E55EC-0158-4CD3-BB5A-314CA705E994.jpeg
36351828-0B33-4109-ADC5-490D83DC24A7.jpeg
E94DF78C-A990-4E63-A92E-966107E24847.png
465BC8B8-1909-4A54-A506-61D5F2463B48.png

Still waiting for arb to produce a rebuild kit. I’ve had them for 5 years but I think they are toast
View attachment 2533633View attachment 2533634View attachment 2533635View attachment 2533638View attachment 2533639
Honestly, the parts that go bad on race style shocks are generic sized orings and the oil. If you take one apart and carefully measure the orings coming out, it wouldn’t be hard to match them up. A buddy has a set from a 5th gen that tore a hose and he has been waiting to rebuild as well, but needs to get a hose made. He has been too lazy to tackle it himself. Drives me nuts.

Honestly, the parts that go bad on race style shocks are generic sized orings and the oil. If you take one apart and carefully measure the orings coming out, it wouldn’t be hard to match them up. A buddy has a set from a 5th gen that tore a hose and he has been waiting to rebuild as well, but needs to get a hose made. He has been too lazy to tackle it himself. Drives me nuts.

There is that hose store not far from us too @Jgunner they make custom stainless lines.

hose store

So some updates
I sat on the phone on hold for about 15mins to get told they won’t sell the parts for a rebuild
One must go through the warranty thing... which is BS if you ask me however I’m in the process of figuring out part numbers for potential replacement seals and will try them out
Edit/update
Luckily after asking a few times and voiding the crap out of the warranty ARB was nice enough to give me a part number for a seal kit
VM80030002SP🍺
Does not come with the seals in the bearing assembly 🤦

Last edited:
So some updates
I sat on the phone on hold for about 15mins to get told they won’t sell the parts for a rebuild
One must go through the warranty thing... which is BS if you ask me however I’m in the process of figuring out part numbers for potential replacement seals and will try them out
So rather than have ARB send you a brand new set of shocks for free, you'd rather pay them to send you rebuild parts?:hmm:

ARB is working on the warranty/rebuild network in the States as we speak, but in the meantime they're simply replacing shocks. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

So rather than have ARB send you a brand new set of shocks for free, you'd rather pay them to send you rebuild parts?:hmm:

ARB is working on the warranty/rebuild network in the States as we speak, but in the meantime they're simply replacing shocks. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
My stuff isn’t under warranty after 5+ years
Also it seems I finally found a stud that gave me the part numbers I need

only issue with replacing shocks is that a rebuild can take a weekend if prepped properly and replacing means probably at least a week of down time

The 80 specific fit kits come with a dampening setting guide based on your setup (winch/bumper, weight, etc) and recommendations for adjustment. We recommend starting with those settings and making small adjustments there based on handling and preference. Many set it at the recommended spots and never look back.
@cruiseroutfit is this something that you could easily access and share? My BP-51s have been installed for a couple years and I'm just not finding that sweet spot. Would be nice to have a bit of a "reset" and go from there if needed.

I found this for Tacomas...

1632423417425.png

I'm pretty sure I've got 2850/2863 springs (that's what the invoice says - tag fell off to confirm), but the rears seem to be sitting a bit low so maybe not. ARB front bumper and Come Up picked up from you and an ARB rear bumpers with swing out plus drawer system and Metaltech sliders on 315 KM3s. Will probably be running dual battery and fridge soon enough.

Considering a compression/rebound settings below to keep me happy for the drive to the trail and not need new kidneys on the trail without making adjustments. The spanner is a bear.

Front 4/6
Rear 3/6

And really anyone else that's willing to share their settings and truck buildout. Would be nice to have a running list of what works and what doesn't.

@cruiseroutfit is this something that you could easily access and share? My BP-51s have been installed for a couple years and I'm just not finding that sweet spot. Would be nice to have a bit of a "reset" and go from there if needed.

I found this for Tacomas...

View attachment 2794015

I'm pretty sure I've got 2850/2863 springs (that's what the invoice says - tag fell off to confirm), but the rears seem to be sitting a bit low so maybe not. ARB front bumper and Come Up picked up from you and an ARB rear bumpers with swing out plus drawer system and Metaltech sliders on 315 KM3s. Will probably be running dual battery and fridge soon enough.

Considering a compression/rebound settings below to keep me happy for the drive to the trail and not need new kidneys on the trail without making adjustments. The spanner is a bear.

Front 4/6
Rear 3/6

And really anyone else that's willing to share their settings and truck buildout. Would be nice to have a running list of what works and what doesn't.
Well as a follow up, I think those settings for my truck may be the ticket. Just got back from a 30 minute ride through the canopy roads and some dirt trails through the plantations. Washboards at 50 and not bad!

Now, idiot me, I had compression and rebound reversed on my last adjustment. No wonder it drove like a dumpster on fire. I’ve been dicking with these shocks for too long.

I am MUCH happier now. Mucho mucho.

And for those that do have the BP-51s… spend the $12. You will be exponentially happier to make adjustments. I’m convinced I will just keep this in the truck alongside the spanner.

Just placed an order through Cruiser Outfitters and will also have them do the install/alignment. I'm excited to make the drive to their HQ and back with my BP-51s. I'm keen to upgrade my faithful OME Nitrochargers with at least 50K miles on them.

What's the approximate rebuild interval range? Many thanks.

Not an 80 review, but found this content helpful in my decision making:

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit curious if you guys have any thoughts when comparing the BP51's to the Dobs MRA's since you deal with both (or anyone else in this thread that has experience with both). Solid amount of positive feedback from you and many others on the BP51's - just wondering where they stack up on ease of adjustability, ride quality, build quality, longevity, warranty, etc. versus the MRA's. 🤔

Thanks for any feedback!

You asked😂

Are the BP-51's actually manufactured in Australia? Or farmed out to SE Asia? Anyone know?!?
🇹🇭

E71F6E89-2293-4BA0-9919-69313460B8B9.jpeg

Fun fact. Many carbon fiber bits on the Porsche Carrera GT are sourced out of 🇨🇳.

Wheels on the BMW M cars and a number of Ferraris and McLarens 🇹🇼. Your BMW X5/X7 🇲🇽. If you took out all the 🇨🇳 made material out of your home and in your closet you’d be naked and without a roof over your head and your wallet a lot lighter.

💴💵💷💶 talks.

Last edited:
Thanks @COYS ! Appreciate the confirmation. I had a feeling that was the case, but was having some challenges actually verifying via the online sellers.

Money absolutely talks...very aware of how reliant/dependent nearly every industry has become on SE Asia. Your review and many others on here have these BP's still looking like great options. 🤔 Still need to give you a ring and talk shop!

Are the BP-51's actually manufactured in Australia? Or farmed out to SE Asia? Anyone know?!?

They are built in an ARB owned facility in Rayong, Thailand. They have 4 owned factories in the same area building a variety of parts. Nitrocharge shocks are still made in Australia, SD's in the US.

"ARB Corporation has two manufacturing bases in the world: Melbourne in Australia and Rayong Province in Thailand. The factory in Thailand operates under the same high standard and technology as it’s Australian base. One of the reasons ARB originally established the manufacturing plant in Thailand is due to it being a hub worldwide for the manufacture of the pickup vehicle type. The location selected is also very convenient as a centre of product distribution worldwide to a range of countries. Thai craftsmen’s skills have also been recognised internationally to a high standard."

We stock the full range of BP-51's and 'while you're in there' parts @ Cruiser Outfitters and would love to assist when you're ready!

Screenshot_20221009_111338.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom