Bowfin rack on 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
I ran a homemade rack on my 60 for 8-10 years and found that have a roof rack was very useful at times. The old rack needed some work so I pulled it off but as I looked it over I did not want to reinstall it. Having seen the Bowfin rack I knew that was what I wanted to go with and I'm glad I did. The Bowfin has a low profile, solid full length gutter mount, and is extremely versatile. Patrick @dogfishlake has been great to work with. I installed it a few weeks ago and immediately put it to use.

IMG_7835.jpg
IMG_7877.jpg
IMG_7873.jpg

First use was to deliver a palllet with a Cruiser part for shipping. The pallet was bulky but not heavy and the addition of the roller on the rear of the rack made placing the pallet on the rack easy. At first I was unsure of the need for a roller but having drug multiple items across the rear of my roof over the years I think having the roller is a very worthwhile addition. It should be very useful when loading canoes this summer.

IMG_7878.jpg
IMG_7879.jpg

On a recent trip to Louisiana for turtle research I loaded the Bowfin with a few turtle traps. I could have towed a M416 and carried the traps but for where I was headed a trailer would have been an impediment. Having the rack was much more useful. Multiple crossbars of the rack made lashing down the traps an easy process.

IMG_7903.jpg

Using the rack for a light lumber load was preferable over a trailer and a sheet of plywood fits on just right with a little overhang. Again the rear roller made loading much easier.

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8032.jpg

IMG_7905.jpg

Prior to installing the Bowfin, having a clean roof, my interstate mileage while running at 65-70 mph was consistently 12-13 mpg. Since installing the Bowfin rack I've made several long interstate runs and the roof rack has had no negative effect upon fuel mileage.

I sometimes get into spots with low hanging limbs and the most feasible answer is to push on. The low profile plus front fairing on the Bowfin allows branches and small limbs to ride over the rack without hanging up.

IMG_8124.jpg

FYI the Rhino Rack roller kit fits fine on the Bowfin. Wasn't able to get a kit from Patrick back when I got my rack, glad he's making that available now.

I sometimes get into spots with low hanging limbs and the most feasible answer is to push on. The low profile plus front fairing on the Bowfin allows branches and small limbs to ride over the rack without hanging up.

View attachment 3036313
The bowfin rack has pushed many branches out of my way along trails. Works as intended.

The Bowfin rack on my 80 held up well against my garage door header. Had a road shower attached to it and forgot it was there…subsequently attempted to drive into the garage. Roadshower brackets bent…Rack didn’t budge.

Damn good product.

Prior to installing the Bowfin, having a clean roof, my interstate mileage while running at 65-70 mph was consistently 12-13 mpg. Since installing the Bowfin rack I've made several long interstate runs and the roof rack has had no negative effect upon fuel mileage.
Your truck is gorgeous? Is that mileage with a 5 speed?

What’s the height of a Bowfin on a 62 ( roof to top of rack) I’m very limited on my garage height.

My previous homemade rack was set up for bolting on Yakima crossbars to carry a pair of canoes. Patrick has on the Bowfin website awning brackets and I thought the horizontal section with the slight rise to clear the side rail would work as a mod for mounting canoe crossbars. I was able to get two pair of only the horizontal plates and test them out.

1665450435783.jpeg

1665450472565.jpeg

1665450490416.jpeg

I measured and drilled a 3/8" hole for the Yakima bolt to pass through and bolted the plates to crossbars.

1665450586541.jpeg

1665450669503.jpeg

Bolted on the Yakima bars which fit great and now provide the capability to carry two boats.

1665450726045.jpeg

1665450775871.jpeg

Next mod was to use two pair of the MaxTrac mount adapters https://www.bowfincruisers.com/products/maxtrax-mount-adaptersfor carrying a pair of long metal pipe that is use to hang a hammock from brackets on my 60. First test was to mount the adapters under the crossbar with a small Quickfist mounted upright. In my initial testing I thought this setup would allow a hammock bar to run parallel to the rack side and be low enough to pass under a canoe crossbar. I discovered that this configuration would not work as I could not fasten the Quickfitst around the bar, plus the Quickfists would interfere in carrying large flat objects, such as plywood, on the rack.

1665451162471.jpeg

1665451291285.jpeg

1665451312787.jpeg

1665451332063.jpeg

1665451410504.jpeg

So with the MaxTrac adapters mounted on the bottom of the crossbar I mounted the QuikFists upside down and moved the MaxTrac plates to the edge of the crossbar. This works for carrying the long metal poles.

1665451554300.jpeg

1665451576410.jpeg

@Godwin @dogfishlake I want to see if I can make this work on a 77 series. Been trying to get in touch with Bowfin through their website for dimensions, but no luck on response. Could you please provide the width between uprights, the overall length. And height from gutter channel to the bottom of the crossbar, to see if it has enough height to clear the bubble of the 70 series roof.

Much appreciated.

@Godwin @dogfishlake I want to see if I can make this work on a 77 series. Been trying to get in touch with Bowfin through their website for dimensions, but no luck on response. Could you please provide the width between uprights, the overall length. And height from gutter channel to the bottom of the crossbar, to see if it has enough height to clear the bubble of the 70 series roof.

Much appreciated.

Width is just 53 1/4"

IMG_9570.jpg

Length is 87" plus a little.

IMG_9573.jpeg

I measured the distance from the roof to the bottom of the crossbar, either 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". The 60 series roof is ribbed which accounts for the slight difference in height. I couldn't get a good measurement of the gutter channel to bottom of crossbar.

IMG_9571.jpg

IMG_9572.jpg

@Godwin Thank You! do you mind measuring along the side from where it sits in the gutter to the center of the 2 bolts where the cross bar screws in. And the thickness of the crossbar. So far it is looking like the width and length could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom