Bought new Knuckle and it didn't fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been doing some work for my neighbor on his fj40, he claims it's a 1976 and the axel/knuckle hasn't been messed with at all.

The knuckle was completely busted with studs broken off and holes screwed up beyond repair so I bought a refurbished one on eBay for a 75-78 cruiser and the studs were too close together and too small. Am I missing something or is the part I ordered not labeled correctly, the cruiser I am working on has a large lift and high steer crossover steering. The part that really confuses me is that I bought a knuckle rebuild kit for a 1976 fj40 and the shims included did fit the old knuckles that were shot but not the new ones. Obviously, the steering arms did not fit the new knuckle. This truck has disc brakes also.

TLDR: Knuckle I bought has studs too close together, but the rebuild kit has correct shims. Essentially I'm looking for what year of knuckle I need to buy to get this fixed. Are there any other differences I should be aware of between years of knuckles?

All and any information is much appreciated! Pictures attached!!!

Nick-

IMG_2695[1].JPG

Top is the part I bought, Bottom is the old part. From the bottom of both knuckles.

Your neighbor is wrong, the knuckle you bought is correct for a 75-78 but he has large pattern 79-up knuckles that someone would have swapped on. You’re going to have to stick with those to keep the high steer.

Post pics of “holes screwed up beyond repair”? Do you need right side or left side?

Your neighbor is wrong, the knuckle you bought is correct for a 75-78 but he has large pattern 79-up knuckles that someone would have swapped on. You’re going to have to stick with those to keep the high steer.

Post pics of “holes screwed up beyond repair”? Do you need right side or left side?
I need a left side knuckle and Essentially he broke two of the four upper studs of holding the steering arm on and the other two studs ovaled out the holes in the knuckle housing where the studs go in. He asked me to just order another knuckle and studs to fix it. Thank you for the info do any of you have a good idea of where I can find a used or new knuckle to replace this with?

Or any 1979-1988 toyota solid axle knuckle from a landcruiser or a minitruck with solid front axle.

I need a left side knuckle and Essentially he broke two of the four upper studs of holding the steering arm on and the other two studs ovaled out the holes in the knuckle housing where the studs go in. He asked me to just order another knuckle and studs to fix it. Thank you for the info do any of you have a good idea of where I can find a used or new knuckle to replace this with?

any 79-90 Land Cruiser or solid axle pickup.

I have a few pairs on the shelf but usually prefer to sell them as pairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom