Steering Knuckle 101....(FAQ) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Here are pictures of the smaller bolt pattern knuckle using the 11MM diameter stud, found on USA drum brake Land Cruisers and disc brake axles until 12/78:
11MMKnuckle01.jpg
11MMKnuckle02.jpg
11MMKnuckle03.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pictures of the larger bolt pattern knuckles using the 12MM stud found on 01/79 and later 40/60/62 and Mini trucks to 07/85:

( So this means if you have a large pattern steering knuckle from a mini truck, and have done a front disc conversion on your Land Cruiser using FJ 60, or FJ62 or 40 series with the large pattern, you can use a mini truck steering knuckle as they are interchangeable. The only thing is you may want to check and make sure the replacement knuckle is centered on the axle so that you do not end up having gear oil rain out of your steering knuckles)

12MMKnuckle02.jpg
12MMKnuckle01.jpg
12MMKnuckle03.jpg

Ya know for some odd reason I thought the larger pattern would have been *considerably larger in both stud spacing dimensions. Thanks for showing us, who've never held a large pattern knuckle, the true numbers.

Stevo - aren't you working on some BILLET knuckles with MASSIVE steering arm studs????? Well, you should be.......

Thanks Poser...great thread and it's nice to visually see the difference.

:beer:

minitrucks went to IFS in 1985, so no more solid axle knuckles ;)

nice pics Steve, can you post photos of how the pattern on the 6-stud knuckles compares?

;)

stronger steering arms... I dunno when the exact change was on the large pattern steering arms

stronger steering arms... I dunno when the exact change was on the large pattern steering arms

I will be adding pictures of steering arms to this or in another thread....I just did not have them in a pile when I started this.

minitrucks went to IFS in 1985, so no more solid axle knuckles ;)

nice pics Steve, can you post photos of how the pattern on the 6-stud knuckles compares?

;)

85 was the last year you could get a solid axle under a minitruck or a 4runner from the factory in the USA market. They switched to IFS in 86.

I will be adding pictures of steering arms to this or in another thread....I just did not have them in a pile when I started this.

87???

There is a difference in the arms around 84-85 where the arms are rounded vs squared off. I know my 85 has the squared off arm vs the earlier rounded edge arm.

Good Thread Steve.:cheers:

How did you get those parts so clean? They look new.

Very good visuals of the knuckle changes. Thank you.

Perfect timing, I need to get get a knuckle rebuild kit and I couldn't remember if my axles were 3/79 or 1/79 production. Now I can go find out. Thanks for the info and pics.

Perfect timing, I need to get get a knuckle rebuild kit and I couldn't remember if my axles were 3/79 or 1/79 production. Now I can go find out. Thanks for the info and pics.

Such an old thread, will see if anyone still gets this post I guess.

From all I've read, I haven't heard positively about this: Is the FJ60 knuckles spitting image Identical to +79 40's? I'd like to use my '73 axles, and add the FJ60 knuckles for the hi steer, and get disc brakes, fine spline birfs etc.

Thanks, just trying to make sure before I start the big parts roundup:steer:

Yes.

1979-1990 40/55/60/62/70 series steering knuckles/spindles/calipers all interchange.

From 08/75-07/80 the rotors and wheel bearing hubs used six 10mm bolts to retain the rotor to the wheel bearing hub, opposed to the 08/80-1990 rotors being retained to the wheel bearing hub by the six wheel studs in addition to two 10mm bolts.

Calipers all interchange through this era of the Land Cruiser; 08/75-1990

40/55 steering arms, while they have the same 'large' pattern where they attach to the steering knuckle, use a smaller tie rod end, so consequently, the hole/taper is smaller on these arms. The 60/62/70 used the same arms with the larger hole for the tie rod ends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom