Bolt on turbo kit (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This has been kicked around a lot. I do not think Jet-Hot would do anything for performance, it might slightly do something for longevity, but this is fairly heavy walled, high grade stainless steel and will probably not be an issue. This is a US produced item it is not something that is outsourced overseas where they can use subpar materials like we have seen happen in the past. The only coating I think would improve performance and longevity is Swaintech and I do not believe it will be included in the kit. The cost, length of turn around, and return on investment do not lend themselves to having it done. But you could certainly do that on your own.

Do you suppose having the j-pipe Jet-Hot coated would improve the longevity and performance?

It's quite pretty as-is. :)

What about ceramic coating the exhaust manifold and heat shields?

Just spent the weekend at Barrett-Jackson figuring out how small my bank account is! There were a lot of nice examples of turbo heat shielding. Is heat wrap not a good option off road? I remember hearing that if it gets wet it causes uneven cooling resulting in header cracks. Am I right about that?

TurboShield.jpg

Depends on the type of wrap and the material being wrapped. Biggest problem with moisture retention is corrosion, not uneven heat. Thick, quality stainless steel or cast iron is perfectly safe to wrap without worrying about rust (iron will rust, but wont harm anything). Never really heard about wrap contributing to cracks, but I suppose it's possible. I am far from the authority on the matter :hillbilly:

Fiberglass heat wrap is more prone to moisture retention and will also smoke when very hot, and generally doesn't do as good a job at heat control as "lava" type wrap.

Just spent the weekend at Barrett-Jackson figuring out how small my bank account is! There were a lot of nice examples of turbo heat shielding. Is heat wrap not a good option off road? I remember hearing that if it gets wet it causes uneven cooling resulting in header cracks. Am I right about that?

View attachment 1885275

I've never heard of water effecting the heat dissipation, I would think that a dunk into the river would actually increase cooling properties until the wrap dried back up.

When I had my 68 Camaro RS/SS I did the header wrap. It was fine until it rained. Then everything started rusting anywhere the wrap was applied. Water retention. That was back in the early 90s.

I live where it rains often and no body has problems with moisture/water with a quality wrap, you buy junk you get what you pay for

When I had my 68 Camaro RS/SS I did the header wrap. It was fine until it rained. Then everything started rusting anywhere the wrap was applied. Water retention. That was back in the early 90s.
Do you think corrosion/ rust would be an issue with the stainless header in this kit?

Do you think corrosion/ rust would be an issue with the stainless header in this kit?

If you use the quality lava wrap you will not have issues, and you live in the desert it barely rains o_O

I am sure that would work just fine. This is the wrap that I prefer and use. I have had it on my truck for 3.5+ years. If it wasn't a pain I would unwrap it for you guys, but I am really not too worried about it.

Titanium™ Exhaust Wrap
I did lots of research and came to the same conclusion that the Titanium Exhaust Wrap is the best out there and doesn't require the silicone spray.

The fiberglass wrap requires the spray, changes color, holds water, and breaks down quicker than the rest.

@CHDAZ80 ... I used product similar to that before and never had an issue with rust or water retention. I do know that people had issues when they put it on dry. The product I used needed to be wet when installed for proper fit.

Thanks for all the great feedback. When this fine piece of work shows up I want to make sure I'm dressing her up like a classy lady, not like some cheap date!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom