Bolt on turbo kit (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes they are also talking about specific engines and sell a PCV plate. A lot of their recommended setups vent to atmosphere which won't work on a MAF setup as it is a vacuum leak.
I'm really curious about your Y recommendation.
In theory could i take both lines out of the valve cover into a T, take that single line into the catch can, take the single exit, T it again and return the two lines to intake pipe/throttle body? I don't have a dual port, but was planning on tossing my catch can mid PCV line and not touching the other line until I read your last comment.

You wouldn't have to Y the output of the catch can you could just run it to the port on the intake tube NLXTACY built. But make sure you are using a real catch can not something from home depot.

Or just connect it like NLXTACY has it laid out. I was just making a suggestion because someone had added a can and did it half way.

I'm really curious about your Y recommendation.
In theory could i take both lines out of the valve cover into a T, take that single line into the catch can, take the single exit, T it again and return the two lines to intake pipe/throttle body? I don't have a dual port, but was planning on tossing my catch can mid PCV line and not touching the other line until I read your last comment.

You wouldn't have to Y the output of the catch can you could just run it to the port on the intake tube NLXTACY built. But make sure you are using a real catch can not something from home depot.

Or just connect it like NLXTACY has it laid out. I was just making a suggestion because someone had added a can and did it half way.
Right. I have a realish (amazon) catch can that is better than a pneumatic filter.
Was just curious what you were trying to explain. I'd like to set it up in the most logical/useful way.
Would you just cap the intake manifold PCV inlet then?
Only concern is if for some reason the catch can isn't super effective you'd be introducing more oil to the compressor wheel than if you didnt run the actual pcv line through the same can.

Anything past the turbo (charge pipe, TB, Intake manifold, etc) are all pressurized with a turbo. That is not the case on an engine that never had a turbo like the 1FZ. So in stock form the PCV can go to the intake manifold, with boost you are pressurizing the PCV, it has a 1 way valve and likely you aren't in boost all the time. But yes connecting it to the turbo intake piping through a catch can is the most logical if you already have a catch can. And yes you can introduce oil into the intake that is why I said get a real catch can and make sure to empty it.

Right. I have a realish (amazon) catch can that is better than a pneumatic filter.
Was just curious what you were trying to explain. I'd like to set it up in the most logical/useful way.
Would you just cap the intake manifold PCV inlet then?
Only concern is if for some reason the catch can isn't super effective you'd be introducing more oil to the compressor wheel than if you didnt run the actual pcv line through the same can.

Anything past the turbo (charge pipe, TB, Intake manifold, etc) are all pressurized with a turbo. That is not the case on an engine that never had a turbo like the 1FZ. So in stock form the PCV can go to the intake manifold, with boost you are pressurizing the PCV, it has a 1 way valve and likely you aren't in boost all the time. But yes connecting it to the turbo intake piping through a catch can is the most logical if you already have a catch can. And yes you can introduce oil into the intake that is why I said get a real catch can and make sure to empty it.
Super cool. Didn't even think of that as an option.
I'll cap off the port on the intake manifold and run both through the can then to the intake piping. Thanks for the knowledge @scottryana

Anyone know the torque spec on the turbo/downpipe Vband? Curious if i cranked it too tight. Didn't think about it til this morning.

2E5F5EE6-A243-4DFE-8E70-03E9BCFC8FEB.jpeg

If you want to learn all about v-clamps:

I pumped turbo with a oil can. Discovered that if you spin the turbine while you pump the oil in you will not make as much of a mess..... :confused:

so getting a catch can with dual in-ports & single out-port is best?

run both valve cover tubes into catch can & run a single hose, from catch can, to the intake port on the new aluminum tubing is best/ideal? Then cap the port on actual intake manifold?

So install is done, drove Saturday 20 miles, back to shop checked everything, no leaks, tighten some clamps, move cruise control cable, readjust TV cable to trans. Sunday drive again push on it, have a little rattling (detonation) under hard acceleration. Check timing was @4* changed it to 3* seem to get rid of most of it. I suspect it might be gone when I put a full tank of premium in it instead of 50/50 mix with regular I have going on now. I'm a little disappointed that I can't really hear turbo spool at all, I'm use to driving a Dodge with 30+ psi of boost. What I can say is I can't really tell it's there, which speaks well to how well this kit was put together, there is no transition that I notice it just keeps pulling, I have a test hill I use to judge power and what used to be a 50-55 mph uphill pre-turbo, now is back out of it before the turn at top and 75+ mph. This is good butt dyno numbers. FYI, I have 2 new Denso O2 sensors, new Magna flow single Cat and basic test pipe for 2nd Cat and all stock exhuast. For now I'm going to keep it that way, I think it might have a little more exhaust note. Still very quiet. Now just keep driving and observing I have a OBD2 live telemetry and all looked good on 30 mile cruise, AFR's cruising 14.4 on it 10.5, IAT around 90*, Water temp 186*, Boost hit 7+, it is a digital gauge and I can adjust zero if need be. I'll keep posting as things change or come up. :flipoff2:

0.jpg

Looks great and love the sticker placement 😁

the red hose, what is the fitting from the catch can to the hose? Maybe I have something that works a little better. 🤔

I knew someone would say something about that, hose was ordered just haven't seen it yet, it's temporary. Sticker is for you. all though it might be a little crooked..... oh well nothing ever stays perfect.

Finished up everything but exhaust yesterday as well.
Need to get another nut for the CC bracket i made, though may just go to a zip tie if they're transferring that much heat.
Started it up and let it come up to temp with no issues other than a surprising amount of water dripping off the exhaust. Still not sure where that was coming from since it seemed to be coming from under the blanket not coming out as condensation.
Man those blankets smoked a lot on first heat cycle.
20200412_175624.jpg

If you want a real catch can, this is the one you want. I have a 2 port version in my Cummins 80 mounted in the back passenger side corner of the engine bay. They are big...so finding real estate to mount is a bit of a challenge, but doable.

Thank you for the recommendation.

can you post an installed pic for figment?

howdoes it disassemble for cleaning? Do you have to fully remove to get it apart?
Is there a sight window or indicator of fullness? Or do you just have to guess?

I used some cast grey Eastwood hi-temp exhaust paint on manifolds and J-pipe and it still stinks.:smokin: Not sure how it will hold up but, it's a good experiment.

So install is done, drove Saturday 20 miles, back to shop checked everything, no leaks, tighten some clamps, move cruise control cable, readjust TV cable to trans. Sunday drive again push on it, have a little rattling (detonation) under hard acceleration. Check timing was @4* changed it to 3* seem to get rid of most of it. I suspect it might be gone when I put a full tank of premium in it instead of 50/50 mix with regular I have going on now. I'm a little disappointed that I can't really hear turbo spool at all, I'm use to driving a Dodge with 30+ psi of boost. What I can say is I can't really tell it's there, which speaks well to how well this kit was put together, there is no transition that I notice it just keeps pulling, I have a test hill I use to judge power and what used to be a 50-55 mph uphill pre-turbo, now is back out of it before the turn at top and 75+ mph. This is good butt dyno numbers. FYI, I have 2 new Denso O2 sensors, new Magna flow single Cat and basic test pipe for 2nd Cat and all stock exhuast. For now I'm going to keep it that way, I think it might have a little more exhaust note. Still very quiet. Now just keep driving and observing I have a OBD2 live telemetry and all looked good on 30 mile cruise, AFR's cruising 14.4 on it 10.5, IAT around 90*, Water temp 186*, Boost hit 7+, it is a digital gauge and I can adjust zero if need be. I'll keep posting as things change or come up. :flipoff2:

View attachment 2270887
Some companies make a knock light kit which light up on the dash when pinging is occurring. Can be nice if you have slight pinging that is tough to hear or loud tires or exhaust where pinging is difficult to hear but still allows monitoring of pinging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom