Bolt on turbo kit (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My mounts are newer, been on for a few years

That could be. Keep in mind I was running the downpipe for awhile for the blankets arrived. When I removed my DP I did mark the location of mount clamp. In hindsight I may have taken that action for granted in my install video because I knew where the clamp was going to be so I made sure to “nudge” the blanket in that direction.

Just rewatched your install video. I may have put the blanket on too tight as well. I wasn't trying to pull the wire super tight between loops, but it was definitely a lot tighter than you have it.

I haven’t installed my downpipe blanket yet, but it does seem that a tutorial or tips for install would be beneficial possibly.

As soon as I’m done with my hydro-booster conversion, I’m planning on tackling this.

Hopefully will have my booster & MC by this weekend for install. Then I’ll probably start on the blanket install.

I haven’t installed my downpipe blanket yet, but it does seem that a tutorial or tips for install would be beneficial possibly.

As soon as I’m done with my hydro-booster conversion, I’m planning on tackling this.

Hopefully will have my booster & MC by this weekend for install. Then I’ll probably start on the blanket install.

Well it's all together and ready to go but....... :frown: My Neutral safety switch fried as in melted and now I have to patch harness and get a new plug. Found pieces in classifieds and should be on the way tomorrow if all goes right. I'm sure I can find something else to fix before it leaves shop. I'll post up when I start it.

0-4.jpg

Well it's all together and ready to go but....... :frown: My Neutral safety switch fried as in melted and now I have to patch harness and get a new plug. Found pieces in classifieds and should be on the way tomorrow if all goes right. I'm sure I can find something else to fix before it leaves shop. I'll post up when I start it.

View attachment 2264263

Curious about your catch can - if thats what is above the timing belt tensioner there.
Wouldnt you want to run the PCV through that, not the other?

Curious about your catch can - if thats what is above the timing belt tensioner there.

Looks like he doesn't want any oil film in the turbo's compressor

*NLXTACY is correct, oil past throttle body is OK, oil before compressor not. Also I do not have a oil consumption problem, not that worried about it. I can go 3000 miles with out adding any oil at all. Engine is totally leak free

Last edited:
It is more a piece of mind than a necessity

I've not seen any oil remnants in that line on my motor, the PCV however always is soaked. Wonder how much oil actually runs through there.
Curious how much you catch.

after 4000ish miles it’s just an oily film. Not even enough to puddle into droplets

If you are going to use a catch can (oil/air seperator) I would get a dual port can or Y the vent and PCV together. The PCV does have a one way valve, but if you have a catch can and you can run it to the port before the turbo you will have vacuum and not have to worry about boost and the one way valve. Not necessary but if you have one that is the correct way to set it up.

So i was able to spend some time yesterday working on getting things lined up.
I pulled the downpipe completely, moved the bell housing clamp to where it wanted to be in the blanket (left clamp loose), rewrapped downpipe blanket with less bunching then reinstalled by:
-turbo v band first (few threads - This worked much better than starting with the wastegate though made installing the wastegate even harder with the lower clamp not wanting to easily clear the turbo housing or downpipe.
-install wastegate lower clamp
-install upper wastegate clamp
-snug up turbo v band
-snug up wastegate clamps
- spend 2 hours taking bell housing bracket on and off, bending it 300 times into various shapes until it finally rested on the bracket in a way that when bolted would not shift the downpipe at all. I honestly think that the cutout for the clamp in the blanket needs to be about an inch or so further towards the motor to locate the clamp in the best position and allow the blanket to install easily, but it did eventually work. It has a large bump in the blanket where half the clamp is covered - which i also worry may down the road wear through the blanket (this seems common though, from all the other install photos i've seen).

With all this i have a bit more clearance from the fire wall, body mount washer, though am contacting the inner fender a bit more.
I can't see how i could have full clearance from the firewall heat shield with the blanket on the downpipe. Without the blanket there was minimal clearance to begin. I think its just barely touching in one spot now.
Happy to be moving on to the ducting now.

Also don't be like me and forget to install your heat shields on your manifolds before you put your turbo on! You can fish them in there but man that was not fun. I also realized I need to replace mine.

All in all i think it comes down to sequence on install to get everything to sit where it wants. For me, starting with the wastegate threw everything off.
DSCN0993.JPG
DSCN0994.JPG

DSCN0995.JPG
DSCN0999.JPG

Also curious -

How many of you have actually pulled the oil feed line and used a syringe or something to fill the turbo with oil prior to first startup?

Its best practice from other (subaru) world i come from but haven't seen anyone actually mention it and wanted to make sure people are doing it!

Very first time just poured oil in from bottle. Huge mistake because I figured the cavity would be larger and it leaked inside the blanket and smoked for a week.

Every time after that I used a Syringe (removed needle) to just squirt some in. I also turned the truck over about a dozen times to make sure I got oil coming out of the feed hose.

Very first time just poured oil in from bottle. Huge mistake because I figured the cavity would be larger and it leaked inside the blanket and smoked for a week.

Every time after that I used a Syringe (removed needle) to just squirt some in. I also turned the truck over about a dozen times to make sure I got oil coming out of the feed hose.
Did you just unhook it/pull dist wire/crank til oil came out of the feed?
Seems like a good way to make sure you're getting oil at the turbo.
I've also done a quick prime by pulling ignition relay and cranking for 5 sec or so about 10-15 times (taking breaks to let starter cool).
Lets oil pressure build before the turbo actually spools. Syringe is the right way to do it, but don't have one. Time to get creative.

Did you just unhook it/pull dist wire/crank til oil came out of the feed?
Seems like a good way to make sure you're getting oil at the turbo.
I've also done a quick prime by pulling ignition relay and cranking for 5 sec or so about 10-15 times (taking breaks to let starter cool).
Lets oil pressure build before the turbo actually spools. Syringe is the right way to do it, but don't have one. Time to get creative.

exactly what I did

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom