Bolt on turbo kit (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

not currently but I’m doing everything I can in the background. I’ll do a piece by piece update in a bit.

Hi Joey,

I am not rushing you at all. Do what you need to do. I just want to know when to look for some big boxes. :)

I hope everybody is well.

Cheers, J

not currently but I’m doing everything I can in the background. I’ll do a piece by piece update in a bit.
Thanks. I know its tough right now for everyone but sure would be nice to have this project underway during lock down. Be safe everyone.

@Wompom is having some install issues so I’m making sure he posts up here as well so that others can chime in and future installers can know how to handle the issue.

@Wompom is having some install issues so I’m making sure he posts up here as well so that others can chime in and future installers can know how to handle the issue.

Thanks for the reminder.
So i'm 2/3 of the way through the install but running into some downpipe clearance issues.
Curious if anyone else is too.
1: Downpipe is catching inner fender liner (lightly)
20200406_175814.jpg

2: Downpipe is rubbing on firewall lower heat shield.
20200406_181546.jpg

3: Weld in exhaust piece isn't slipping into the downpipe - can't connect.
4: Exhaust looks like if it continues straight it's going to catch the body mount large washer.
20200406_181125.jpg

I'm annoyed, i've taken the DP in and out 30 times and finally got everything to line up and got the bracket FINALLY set up that it could connect to the trans bracket.
Pulled it one last time, wrapped it with the turbo blanket, nothing wanted to line up now. I just replaced the motor mounts before doing the turbo (haven't even started the motor in between). Can't think of anything else that would be different. Anyone else run into any downpipe clearance issues?

20200406_181554.jpg

I’m shooting from the hip / been out a bit - how’s the motor mount?

Are you on new ones?

Thanks for the reminder.
So i'm 2/3 of the way through the install but running into some downpipe clearance issues.
View attachment 2263510
View attachment 2263511
4: Exhaust looks like if it continues straight it's going to catch the body mount large washer.
View attachment 2263512

I'm annoyed, i've taken the DP in and out 30 times and finally got everything to line up and got the bracket FINALLY set up that it could connect to the trans bracket.
Pulled it one last time, wrapped it with the turbo blanket, nothing wanted to line up now. I just replaced the motor mounts before doing the turbo (haven't even started the motor in between). Can't think of anything else that would be different. Anyone else run into any downpipe clearance issues?

View attachment 2263513

I had to trim the large body mount washer to clear the downpipe. Took about 10 min to cut and file off burrs so no big deal. No other clearance issues with install.

Thanks for the reminder.
View attachment 2263510
View attachment 2263511
View attachment 2263512

View attachment 2263513

It took me a while to get my down pipe aligned yesterday, but I didn’t bother trying to do it without the blanket on. I just ran out to the garage to take a look at my clearance on the bottom of the downpipe and it looks good.

548D4327-40D4-4789-BBA0-6617EF0488FF.jpeg

AFE86D91-0BA4-4FE5-A180-56FE47BE0D40.jpeg

I haven’t yet attached the bellhousing bracket...so hopefully that goes in easy.

A couple things that come to mind that you might what to check.
  • Motor mount alignment. Did you tighten any of the nuts up before the motor was fully seated?
  • Downpipe alignment. Did you tighten up the turbo to downpipe clamp much before aligning the wastegate?
  • T4 flange nuts. Did you tighten these much before installing the downpipe/wastegate? I left all but one off and one with just a few threads on to maximize movement while aligning.
  • Has your inner fender taken a hit and bent inboard at all?
  • Take a pic from behind the turbo facing forward and focused on where the clamp comes together and post it up. From the alignment it looks to be canted up a little too much. It might be as simple as loosening the turbo clamp and T4 flange bolts to realign down a bit.

It took me a while to get my down pipe aligned yesterday, but I didn’t bother trying to do it without the blanket on. I just ran out to the garage to take a look at my clearance on the bottom of the downpipe and it looks good.

View attachment 2263548

View attachment 2263549

I haven’t yet attached the bellhousing bracket...so hopefully that goes in easy.

A couple things that come to mind that you might what to check.
  • Motor mount alignment. Did you tighten any of the nuts up before the motor was fully seated?
  • Downpipe alignment. Did you tighten up the turbo to downpipe clamp much before aligning the wastegate?
  • T4 flange nuts. Did you tighten these much before installing the downpipe/wastegate? I left all but one off and one with just a few threads on to maximize movement while aligning.
  • Has your inner fender taken a hit and bent inboard at all?
  • Take a pic from behind the turbo facing forward and focused on where the clamp comes together and post it up. From the alignment it looks to be canted up a little too much. It might be as simple as loosening the turbo clamp and T4 flange bolts time realign down a bit.
Thank you for a super helpful response. I'll check this stuff tomorrow and post back.
When I did the motor mounts I left one side bolted at a time so in theory it's in the exact or close spot.
When I put the downpipe in i:
Fished it down
Hooked up the lower wastegate port to j pipe and stuck the bolt and nut on finger tight
Hooked the outer wastegate port to the downpipe, clamp hardware finger tight
Wrap v-band around turbo and downpipe flange.
Spend ten minutes wrangling it and trying like hell to get the clamp far enough together to get the nut on.
Tighten wastegate bolts
Tighten turbo band
Move and bolt exhaust bracket.
That got me to this point.

Thank you for a super helpful response. I'll check this stuff tomorrow and post back.
When I did the motor mounts I left one side bolted at a time so in theory it's in the exact or close spot.
When I put the downpipe in i:
Fished it down
Hooked up the lower wastegate port to j pipe and stuck the bolt and nut on finger tight
Hooked the outer wastegate port to the downpipe, clamp hardware finger tight
Wrap v-band around turbo and downpipe flange.
Spend ten minutes wrangling it and trying like hell to get the clamp far enough together to get the nut on.
Tighten wastegate bolts
Tighten turbo band
Move and bolt exhaust bracket.
That got me to this point.

This is what worked for me.
  1. Dropped downpipe into place...took a bit of finagling to get past the inner fender with the blanket on.
  2. Very loosely put the turbo/Down Pipe v-band clamp on....just about 3-4 threads.
  3. Aligned BOTH ports of the wastegate with the J-Pipe and Downpipe.
  4. Clamped the J-pipe to the wastegate and got the bolt/nut just started. (Trick is to make sure one half of the v-band clamp is FULLY seated before trying to close the other half)
  5. Clamped the Downpipe to the wastegate and got the bolt/nut just started.
  6. Tightened Turbo/Downpipe V-band clamp.
  7. Tightened the wastegate clamp bolts fully.

Last edited:
I fought mine a little, but it didn't touch fire wall. I assembled all clamps, T4 flange and bellhousing bolt, seated not torqued. I did end up bending body mount washer up 90* just to be safe not sure it would hit but it was close. I fitted all exhaust pieces ( I cut up new Magna Flow head pipe, FYI Magna flow's merge Y is lower than Toyota pipe so be aware that you won't be able to slip exhaust adapter more then a inch into new exhaust ) and tac welded all pieces in final resting place. Clocking the bracket for the bellhousing bolt took some time, I ended up wedging the pipe forward approx 1/4 inch ( there is enough flex in down pipe to do this, but your clamps need to be snugged up not final torqued ). Disassembled installed blanket reinstalled in truck, then tightened bellhousing bolt. Even went as far to take heat shield off Toyota head pipe and reinstall on new pipe (the bend B4 Cat). I'm almost there, a few things to finish and waiting for some wayward parts that haven't made it here yet. Last thing got gauge mounted last night, and it works, well the lights go on :)

0-2.jpg

0-1.jpg

0.jpg

0-3.jpg

I fought mine a little, but it didn't touch fire wall. I assembled all clamps, T4 flange and bellhousing bolt, seated not torqued. I did end up bending body mount washer up 90* just to be safe not sure it would hit but it was close. I fitted all exhaust pieces ( I cut up new Magna Flow head pipe, FYI Magna flow's merge Y is lower than Toyota pipe so be aware that you won't be able to slip exhaust adapter more then a inch into new exhaust ) and tac welded all pieces in final resting place. Clocking the bracket for the bellhousing bolt took some time, I ended up wedging the pipe forward approx 1/4 inch ( there is enough flex in down pipe to do this, but your clamps need to be snugged up not final torqued ),Disassembled installed blanket reinstalled in truck, then tightened bellhousing bolt. Even went as far to take heat shield off Toyota head pipe and reinstall on new pipe (the bend B4 Cat). I'm almost there, a few things to finish and waiting for some wayward parts that haven't made it here yet. Last thing got gauge mounted last night, and it works, well the lights go on :)

View attachment 2263782

View attachment 2263783

View attachment 2263784

View attachment 2263786
Nice! Did you happen to take a picture of your downpipe once it was wrapped? It seems like some of my rubbing is due to the blanket not seating fully due to the bellhousing bracket not being clocked how the cutout in the blanket allows.

Nice! Did you happen to take a picture of your downpipe once it was wrapped? It seems like some of my rubbing is due to the blanket not seating fully due to the bellhousing bracket not being clocked how the cutout in the blanket allows.

That could be. Keep in mind I was running the downpipe for awhile for the blankets arrived. When I removed my DP I did mark the location of mount clamp. In hindsight I may have taken that action for granted in my install video because I knew where the clamp was going to be so I made sure to “nudge” the blanket in that direction.

I didn't take pic B4 I installed down pipe, I did move the clamp a couple of times to accommodate cut out in blanket it wasn't perfect but it works and I did not cut blanket ( that would be stupid )
Edit: I did discover that placement of tab that bolts to bracket above or below makes a difference

That could be. Keep in mind I was running the downpipe for awhile for the blankets arrived. When I removed my DP I did mark the location of mount clamp. In hindsight I may have taken that action for granted in my install video because I knew where the clamp was going to be so I made sure to “nudge” the blanket in that direction.
I didn't take pic B4 I installed down pipe, I did move the clamp a couple of times to accommodate cut out in blanket it wasn't perfect but it works and I did not cut blanket ( that would be stupid )

my bracket seemed overly clocked from where it wanted to be in the blanket, rotated clockwise if you were looking down from above the engine bay.
I think how this bunched up around the bracket and caused the bottom of the blanket to twist a bit may have caused enough bunching in weird spots to make stuff not want to line up.
I had the blanket off and everything was pretty easy to line up. I then found where the bracket wanted to be and locked it into place, then installed the blanket. Thinking i should just leave the trans clamp loosish under the blanket and figure out how to rotate it into place after the stuff up top is locked in and the blanket is smoother.
I'm gonna pull the DP and blanket off the DP (again) today to try once more.

I want to clarify though, up until this point this has been a super basic install that anyone who can do basic maintenance should easily be able to install.
I'm just having some weird fitment issues that I still are most likely due to brand new motor mounts.

FWIW I did NOT replace my motor mounts. Nor on any of the trucks that I helped with the installation on. But I really wish I did. 😞

FWIW I did NOT replace my motor mounts. Nor on any of the trucks that I helped with the installation on. But I really wish I did. 😞

Multiple people saying that is why i said i'm gonna do it. Hopefully doesn't turn out to be an issue. The ones i took out were original but looked very good and not really degraded.

Multiple people saying that is why i said i'm gonna do it. Hopefully doesn't turn out to be an issue. The ones i took out were original but looked very good and not really degraded.

mine are “visually” ok. Driver side on my SC truck is torn for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom