Boards on or off, tell me why. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beside paint protection from small rocks/debris, they allow you to get in and out of the car without dragging your ass over the seat side bolster delaying wear.

Picture from internet of a 2016 LC200:
1640380291545.png

Last edited:
That plastic hides it from view but doesn't do much to protect it from the other side.

View attachment 2873949
Makes me think I should have gone a little further over with the fluid film. Doesn't snow here, bit I do travel north here and there. Really like the running g boards off so far. I just ran to the store and I swear I got at least 10 more hp and 5mpgs.

Stock height rig, sure off.

For a lifted truck, steps are a necessity. Even something mild like a tire lift or mild suspension lift makes steps that much more needed. Step in for family. Less wear on the seats getting in and out. To load and manage things on the roof. Uneven ground off road making step in that much taller.

They do in my mind protect the rockers. Numerous examples of bent steps, yet rockers are no worse for wear.

Thanks for everyone's response and civilized opinions! For now, boards will stay off. If I find some negative impacts, I'll throw them back on until I get some sliders! Merry Christmas everyone, hope Santa is good to you!

Beside paint protection from small rocks/debris, they allow you to get in and out of the car without dragging your ass over the seat side bolster as much delaying wear.

Picture from internet of a 2016 LC200:
View attachment 2873944

View attachment 2873940
How the hell do you angle yourself to step down on them?
That plastic hides it from view but doesn't do much to protect it from the other side.

View attachment 2873949
this! Exactly what I thought.

How the hell do you angle yourself to step down on them?

this! Exactly what I thought.
Driver side: Grab a pillar handle with left hand, pull yourself up a bit as you step with left foot onto running board. Add second leg and continue stepping out sideways. Sounds complicated, is easy to do. Similar on the way in…

Another way of saying this - go out backwards and use the A pillar handle

Last edited:
They definitely help with rock chips from flying gravel and we see a lot of gravel. I think they look better off but not on a stock height truck, but you have to be ok with seeing everything underneath as well. I have to leave ours on until they are replaced by sliders as I will never hear the end of it from my wife or mother in law lol.

Makes me think I should have gone a little further over with the fluid film. Doesn't snow here, bit I do travel north here and there.
Regarding that panel, there are probably a half dozen small plastic plugs that will allow you to insert a Fluid Film / Woolwax 360* wand, or even the red can straw, into the crevice behind that panel and pump it full of product. You can see one of the plugs in the photo @bloc posted.

Not only did I pay extra to get the Heritage without the boards, I the turned around and paid even more to have Eric put on some take-offs he had available. Even at stock height, they help me a 5’8” and my wife at 5’1”, both in our late 60s get in and out. Also keeps us from wearing the bolster edge.

Bonus is that they keep salt and gravel off the sides.

My initial thought - those hang low cut them off. So I did.
Then there was a lull In Slider production, so I drive it no steps for 18 months.
Then I got sliders. I’ve tried to get my sliders involved but they mostly do tree kicker service. I think this is because of H mode + 35s though.

In that 18 months no step nothing happened to my rockers.

I think there is some small chance they are a damage multiplier. I don’t think they provide any real protection, the mounts are to the body.

Echoing this, breakover has always been reasonably good on the 200-series. Toyota has resolutely held to the same wheelbase across 4 generations now (80 thru 300-series). For as large of an SUV, it's got a shorter wheelbase than most 4-door off-road jeeps.

With lift and large tires, breakover is huge. I gotta measure more carefully but I think we're in the 32 degree breakover range. I find departure angle the more limiting angle (though still pretty stout with large lift and large tires).

For me the benefits aren't about breakover on the 200 it is scraping rocks (and occasionally a stump or tree) on narrower trails (and mostly on the passenger side) and deflecting the body away from them. Yes, I could pick befter lines, but I'm working on it. The last Tundra I had was horrible - it got hung up in the middle more than I care to admit - I assume mostly an issue caused by the longer wheelbase.

They do protect the rocker panels from chips.. some rocks will get sent too far back for the mud flaps to catch.

Beyond that they hang low and can be something of an indicator when off roading. If you start to hit the steps, and you will hear it, back out before you damage the rocker panels.

Mine stayed on until I got proper sliders.

1640472537681.jpeg

Curb feelers, I remember those from my childhood lol.

Steps on the LX can provide some small amount of protection without further damaging the rocker panel, as @TeCKis300 mentioned, but they are kinda sacrificial 🤷🏻‍♂️
CFD8AB27-74E0-4BAB-B7C2-14B1DF29FD97.jpeg

One difference I see in some of the opinions here is the difference between LC & LX. Some LC’s can remove their running boards and keep their front mud flaps and have a separate trim piece that finishes off below the door nicely. The LX looks less finished and shows the AHC components.

And maybe you could keep the mud flap but who runs a tire small enough to keep your factory mud flap 🤔 😉

Last edited:
Steps on the LX can provide some small amount of protection without further damaging the rocker panel, as @TeCKis300 mentioned, but they are kinda sacrificial 🤷🏻‍♂️
View attachment 2874846
One difference I see in some of the opinions here is the difference between LC & LX. Some LC’s can remove their running boards and keep their front mud flaps and have a separate trim piece that finishes off below the door nicely. The LX looks less finished and shows the AHC components.

And maybe you could keep the mud flap but who runs a tire small enough to keep your factory mud flap 🤔 😉

Those tires look obscene in the best way.

Still have mud flaps here. I think there's only one answer...more obscenity. :beer:

1640476315208.png

Those tires look obscene in the best way.

Still have mud flaps here. I think there's only one answer...more obscenity. :beer:
but I’d be curious
I agree. And nothing wrong with mudflaps if you can still run whatever tire size you want.

…and you want 37’s 🤓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom