Boards on or off, tell me why. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide whether to take the running boards off or leave on. I will eventually get sliders, but for now it's aesthetics for me. Is there any practical reason to leave them on, other than being steps? Do they offer and protection to the doors from road spray, etc? Any other reason to leave them on? Opinions appreciated!

Off. They won't protect anything offroading. If the misses needs steps I'd recommend the dissent or slee slider steps.
Why not leave them on until they get damaged and then use that as your excuse to get sliders?

Since my heritage didn’t come with running boards I did without for a couple of months until I had sliders installed. I realized I missed the use of them as steps during this time.
Having something to step on when messing with stuff of the roof is pretty nice.

They do protect the rocker panels from chips.. some rocks will get sent too far back for the mud flaps to catch.

Beyond that they hang low and can be something of an indicator when off roading. If you start to hit the steps, and you will hear it, back out before you damage the rocker panels.

Mine stayed on until I got proper sliders.

They don’t offer protection like sliders but it’s not zero protection. Mine saved my rocker panel when I hit a dozen ball of ice hidden in snow. I do like the without them though.

My initial thought - those hang low cut them off. So I did.
Then there was a lull In Slider production, so I drive it no steps for 18 months.
Then I got sliders. I’ve tried to get my sliders involved but they mostly do tree kicker service. I think this is because of H mode + 35s though.

In that 18 months no step nothing happened to my rockers.

I think there is some small chance they are a damage multiplier. I don’t think they provide any real protection, the mounts are to the body.

Well, took 10 minutes of very hard work.

20211222_171145.jpg
20211224_121046.jpg

Also, got the proclip in
20211224_120917.jpg

Mine go on for long stretches of gravel roads. Mud flaps and rock sliders do zero to prevent your paint work from getting better to heck by rocks.

Also help my wife to climb in.
Can always put em back on, so easy. My wife was / is used to getting in my 4runner without steps or sliders, I'm a lucky man!

Aesthetically, i hate without. I hate seeing the frame and whatnots hanging. I left boards on until i installed the sliders.

The boards are made of thin aluminum. So, they are not zero protection like a poster noted above. It did prevent me from damaging my side against a rock.

1640367023325.jpeg

The protect your rocker panels and pinch weld all which will take direct hits from road debris etc and rust.

Aesthetically, i hate without. I hate seeing the frame and whatnots hanging. I left boards on until i installed the sliders.

The boards are made of thin aluminum. So, they are not zero protection like a poster noted above. It did prevent me from damaging my side against a rock.

View attachment 2873834
Good points, can def see the trailing arms now. I actually like the looks better without, but that may change in time. I won't be doing any wheeling where sliders may come into play until I get sliders.

My sense is that the stock boards add minimal protection, what protection they do provide is mainly from thrown debris. The way they are mounted (to the body, not the frame) almost guarantees damage if they are used as sliders. For shorter people the steps are nice for entry and exit, but for taller people they get in the way. I prefer the aesthetics without them, but I do run Budbuilt step sliders and they do double duty as sturdy sliders and a place for people to step. It makes accessing things on the roof a whloe lot easier (like my maxtraxx). On rocky trails, they are worth their weight in gold.

The protect your rocker panels and pinch weld all which will take direct hits from road debris etc and rust.
Here is a pic of the rocker and pinch weld on my 4runner. No steps or sliders, 237,000 miles. Not saying something wont fly up and hit tomorrow, but not to worried based on my experience with the runner. Knocking on wood now.

Here is a pic of the rocker and pinch weld on my 4runner. No steps or sliders, 237,000 miles. Not saying something wont fly up and hit tomorrow, but not to worried based on my experience with the runner. Knocking on wood now.
20211224_125548.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom