Steve’s 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition Non-Build and Occasional Travel Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Slow Paddler

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
Yesterday, I picked up a new 2021 Heritage Edition from Ed Martin Toyota in Noblesville, Indiana. Thank you @Eric Sarjeant for finding one for me, and for all the support you offer this forum!

Let’s get this first part out of the way for all of the HE naysayers out there: Yes, I spent an extra $2300 for the Heritage to get LESS stuff than the base model. And then yes, I turned around and removed the emblem I paid extra for, will remove the MegaWarrior basket I paid extra for, and added the OEM steps I paid extra to have removed. Doesn’t make sense? It’s exactly what I want, though.

A lot of the appeal of the Land Cruiser is that no one recognizes it for what it really is; especially here in the midwest. I was originally going to remove the Heritage badging, too, but Eric and my wife convinced me to leave it on. For now…

As mentioned in another thread, test driving a Land Cruiser three months ago was the first time I’d driven one since 1977, when I tried trading a VW Scirocco in on a 40. It has been one of the very few vehicles I’ve lusted over for nearly 50 years, and with them going away, it was time to take the plunge.

I’m 67 years old, and on average keep cars quite a while. I expect the Land Cruiser will be my last primary vehicle. There may be a toy here or there, but I already have a ’58 MGA Roadster for summer joy rides. The crazy thing to consider, is that this Land Cruiser cost more than 1000 times what I paid for my first car!

I’m coming from a 2016 4Runner Trail Premium, and among the first things I did on it was KO2s and rock sliders. How I thought I’d use it, and how I actually used it were different things altogether. So this time, I’m going with the OEM steps and maybe later some tires that are better all around than the Dunlops, and more comfortable and quieter than the KO2s. Other than that, the truck is extremely capable as is, and can go a lot more places that I’ll ever take it. If I run into a situation where I need more, then I’ll consider upgrades.

Starting Point:
  • 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
  • Midnight Black Metallic
  • Build Date: November 2, 2020

Dealer Installed Options:
  • OEM Running Boards
  • OEM Front Leveling Spacer

Interior Additions/Changes:
  • Husky WeatherBeater front row floor liners
  • Cabin Filter Warning Sticker
  • Canvasback Tailgate Cover
  • KAON Roof Shelf
  • Removed Rear Driver's Side Seat and added Second Row Resistor Modification

Exterior Additions/Changes:
  • Removed Yakima MegaWarrior Roof Basket
  • Clear Door Edge Guard on top edge of the tailgate (Thanks @gaijin )
  • Swapped OEM Fog Lights with my Baja Design Squadron-R Pro Amber Wide Driving Lights

Suspension/Wheel/Tire Changes:
  • Stock

Near Term Plans:
  • 12V Power to rear storage area
  • Probably some stuff from the "Under $100" thread

Other Gear (Carried over from previous vehicles):
  • Carista OBD2 Adapter
  • MaxTrax Traction Mats
  • Viair 450P Portable Air Compressor
  • Recovery Gear
  • MurderSpork :)

Possible Future Additions/Changes:
  • Ceramic Coating
  • Tires
  • Red/White Underhood Lighting
  • Red/White Liftgate Lighting
  • Matte Black Window Trim
  • Maybe Debadge V8 and Heritage Badge for more incognito appearance

Wishlist:
  • Additional Heritage Edition Wheel
  • Long Range America Fuel Tank w/upgraded pump and fuel lines

I have a National Luna 90 Twin fridge/freezer on a Tembo Tusk Jumbo slide that was mounted on a DIY Goose Gear platform in the 4Runner, and I used RIDGID storage boxes strapped down for gear instead of permanent drawers. In the Land Cruiser, I've mounted the fridge where the rear passenger seat was located without the slide, leaving the rear more flexible for carrying large loads.

The ARB awning, Road Shower, and kayak racks from the 4Runner have ben moved over to our Hiker squaredrop trailer, so no need for a RTT or an interior sleeping setup.

More photos and adventures will be added to this non-build thread as they happen. Thanks to everyone here for the inspiration and fantastic community!

[EDIT] 1/28/21 Reorganized list of additions/changes
[EDIT] 2/17/21 Removed "Corrosion Free Rust Preventative" as it is annual maintenance, not modification or changes.
[EDIT] 2/28/21 Added Canvasback Tailgate Cover
[EDIT] 4/25/22 Updated list
[EDIT] 7/20/22 Updated list

(Just another bone-stock HE)

IMG_5823.jpeg

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5825.jpeg

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5827.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to the stories coming up. :steer:

Thanks guys!

Thanks, I've been here a few years, but not as an LC 200 owner.
Looking forward to the stories coming up. :steer:
Me too! We didn't do squat last year. Prior three years we were all over the upper tier of states between here and the west coast. Our daughter went to school in Seattle, so each year we'd drive out, drop her off, and wander our way home. The first year it took us 42 days to get home, and a bit over a month the other two years.

Here in northern Ohio, it is several hours to *any* unpaved roads (rolling hilly dead straight gravel roads with road apples in Amish country), and anything interesting is at least 1/2 day away in western PA, KY, or WV. Most stuff I want to do is several days away. I wanna move, but with a new toddler granddaughter, I'd have to leave the nice lady in my avatar photo behind after dealing with her lawyer...

And our malls are all but dead, so not even any mall crawling! :)

Congrats! Lovely story hope you create many wonderful memories with your new truck!

Edit: I recommend Michelin Defenders or AT2 for a little more aggressive tread

I had 275/70 E rated Defenders and they were great noise wise but they obviously rode harder than the butter-like stock tires.

Stock size Defenders would give an increase in performance and not sacrifice any ride quality.

Last edited:
Just curious, what's so great about it? Does it fit yeti cups well? I've seen many mention it, but don't know why. My birthday's coming up, so perhaps this is a great suggestion.

Just curious, what's so great about it? Does it fit yeti cups well? I've seen many mention it, but don't know why. My birthday's coming up, so perhaps this is a great suggestion.
It looks the business. I forgot about this but will order it once I get my LC.

The stock holders are far too large to secure most cups/bottles. They're always tipping over. And you can't fit larger bottles in the door pockets so this is very useful.

I have it (the version with the two inserts that allow the lid to close). It's great, I don't have any problems with cups tipping over. Toyota's stock little arm-hinge things don't really work at all, and this solution fixes that by turning the area into regular-sized cup holders. The two little holes on either side are great for putting the drink straws from a fast food place (before unwrapping the straws obviously).

One warning: these 3D-printed cup holders aren't always great quality (mine had some blemishes), but honestly I hardly notice it. The owner seems to have been responsive to others who have had quality problems, but I didn't bother to reach out.

I purchased the version with the cell phone slot which has come in very handy also since there's no real place to put your cell phone either

I purchased the version with the cell phone slot which has come in very handy also since there's no real place to put your cell phone either

Also got this one and I love it. I hit mine with a light coat of rustoleum brand truck bed liner and it looks more "finished". It fits my Nalgene/Hydroflask perfectly and the slot allows a place for my fiancé to stick her phone.

Everything is great about it. The stock cup holders are shallow and don't do much of a job securing anything. These are deeper and have inserts to hold smaller cups as well as larger bottles. I use a Nalgene 48oz wide mouth and it hits in the bigger slot perfectly. So yes, it'll hold most yeti cups that I can think of. Definitely worth getting the replacement piece that costs a bit more instead of the inserts IMO

Love that HE cruiser in black but yeah the roof basket is horrible addition.

While helping our daughter move yesterday, I realize why those, what I considered goofy, seat retaining straps are for while the second row is tumbled forward. The first trip seemed like a kid on an airplane constantly kicking the seat back. Second trip, after utilizing said no-longer-goofy straps, was blissfully comfortable! :) Lesson learned...

I was scrolling through my Instagram, looking for a photo to post in a different thread, and came across this one. I need to go back to Grand Teton National Park to complete the set! ;)

15391417_949835841812988_168751816502198811_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom