blue smoke when I start the engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CowboyUp

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.banatsurvivaltraining.com

Howdy

My cruiser started to have little beet to much blue smoke when I start the engine and is not everyday, but it's there! And I am wonder what can be beside dirty valve/s and if I need to start to get paranoid more then I am :hillbilly:?!

:cheers:

Smoke on start up is usually valve seals. It's not that serious, just keep an eye on the oil level or replace the seals.

I have the same issue on my 1998 Rav4 and just added a quart of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak while doing an oil change. I read it takes 250 to 300 miles to see any improvement. I'm always suspicious of these "Snake Oil" remedies, but Lucas is a well known product and for $10.00 it beats tearing into a motor.

rings

Rings? try switching to synthetic oil - might save your motor.

When you change the PCV valve, don't forget the grommet/gasket for it, and both PCV hoses.

I've had blue smoke from the PCV valve and from the hoses being cracked.

When you change the PCV valve, don't forget the grommet/gasket for it, and both PCV hoses.

I've had blue smoke from the PCV valve and from the hoses being cracked.

OK! You got the answer for me!!! The hose from PCV is cracked and I used the duct tape :hillbilly:! Where you find to buy this hose?
How about the hose that is near with PCV hose, can be a problem if is cracked?!

Just call CDAN for the parts. Be careful when removing the old grommet from the valve cover. It will be hard and brittle.

OK! You got the answer for me!!! The hose from PCV is cracked and I used the duct tape :hillbilly:! Where you find to buy this hose?
How about the hose that is near with PCV hose, can be a problem if is cracked?!

There's two large hoses on top of the engine. Both of these are called the PCV hose (#1 and #2), and both should be replaced.

If it is cracked, I guarantee you that it's pulling air into the intake, and likely picking up oil along with it.

Just call CDAN for the parts. Be careful when removing the old grommet from the valve cover. It will be hard and brittle.

x2 on calling Cdan. The hoses are not expensive at all, nor is the PCV valve or grommet.

Getting the PCV valve out was a trick. I ended up clamping on a vicegrip to the PCV valve, then using a lever off the engine hook. Forget trying to get it up yourself if yours is anything like mine.

For the grommet, just take a sharp knife and cut it up. A long pair of tweezers or chopsticks work for pulling it out if it falls down. I actually used some terminal picks, and just stabbed the rubber and pulled it out that way.

I recently replaced the valve and grommet on my wife's LX and EBag's method of removal worked great. However, I used a rubber mallet on the vise grip handle to persuade the valve out.:hillbilly: 2-3 whacks and the valve popped out.:D Luckily the grommet came out in 1 piece even though it was brittle.:)

I recently replaced the valve and grommet on my wife's LX and EBag's method of removal worked great. However, I used a rubber mallet on the vise grip handle to persuade the valve out.:hillbilly: 2-3 whacks and the valve popped out.:D Luckily the grommet came out in 1 piece even though it was brittle.:)

Luckly you! On my cruiser came out in 10 pieces :bang:!
Now, will be easy, because the grommet is almost new !

:beer:

What was the cost for the valve and hoses?

What was the cost for the valve and hoses?

Something like $8 or $9 for the valve, maybe $20 each for hoses? It's not much at all.

From ToyoDIY:

12204 VALVE SUB-ASSY, VENTILATION
12204‑35040 1FZFE..FZJ80 1 $6.26
12204‑66010 1FZFE..FZJ80 1
12204A GROMMET (FOR VENTILATION SYSTEM)
90480‑18001 1FZFE, 3FE..FZJ80, FJ80 1 $5.32
12261 HOSE, VENTILATION
12261‑66020 1FZFE..FZJ80 1 $21.31
12261‑66021 1FZFE..FZJ80 1 $14.62
12261A CLIP OR CLAMP (FOR VENTILATION HOSE)
90467‑14001 1FZFE..FZJ80 2 $0.79
90467‑15021 1FZFE..FZJ80 2 $0.75
12262 HOSE, VENTILATION, NO.2
12262‑66020 1FZFE..FZJ80 1 $23.87
12262‑66021 1FZFE..FZJ80 1 $19.35
12262A CLIP (FOR VENTILATION HOSE NO.2)
90467‑20002 1FZFE..FZJ80 2 $1.18
90467‑21152 1FZFE..FZJ80 2 $9.63

I'm not sure the difference between them, such as 66020 and 66021.

The hoses on mine were also the source of a fairly decent oil leak, so replacing them will probably help keep your engine cleaner.

Thanks Ebag :)

just replaced both hoses and pcv valve and groment, total price from cdan was 30 bucks plus shipping so a grand total of 40 bucks and took 3 days to get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom