Bleeding brakes: MityVac or Motive? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife didn’t like the idea either, but her attitude changed when I explained that it was for the safety of the kids that I drove to school. Then she was very enthusiastic and diligent.

Later on, my kids helped and did a good job.

I'm still not understanding how you remove a full or partially full inverted bottle of brake fluid from the reservoir after you've finished bleeding without dousing everything... are you just supposed to continue to bleed until the bottle is empty?

For the Vacuum pump haters
Skid marks are from my 80 :flipoff2:

1595984378765.png

I like to insert a vacuum check valve into the end of the bleeder hose, then stick it into a glass bottle. No possibility of sucking air back into the system and with a long enough hose one person can do the job. Worked on the 100 and 80.
81Hs8tdsd2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I like to insert a vacuum check valve into the end of the bleeder hose, then stick it into a glass bottle. No possibility of sucking air back into the system and with a long enough hose one person can do the job. Worked on the 100 and 80.
View attachment 2582363
Assuming the pipe is tight on the bleed nipple then you would have thought you were safe in the knowledge no air could be drawn in however, as you lift your foot off the pedal air can be drawn from around the loose bleed nipple threads.

Regards

Dave

Assuming the pipe is tight on the bleed nipple then you would have thought you were safe in the knowledge no air could be drawn in however, as you lift your foot off the pedal air can be drawn from around the loose bleed nipple threads.

Regards

Dave
That's true. Brakes were usually OK but prob not 100% using this method.

My preference is using the pressure bleeding pump. With the pump attached to the reservoir I can walk around the car undoing the bleed nipples, at no time can air get in during process unless the reservoir gets low.

Regards

Dave

I used the HF vacuum bleeder also. Highly recommend. Used it on all my vehicles.

Nooby here, so take this with a grain of salt (Himalayan Pink Crystal only please) Although I have bled lots of brakes on multiple types of vehicles in the recent past.
The Bleeder valve is almost always at the highest point in the Caliper, so while it is possible some air could flow back into the bleeders around the threads, the bubble would be in a dead end - after the Foot to Piston fluid path.
I too have used the HF Vacuum bleeder, and Mytivac they both get a very small stream of bubbles, from either around the hose itself, or drawn in around the threads.
The Partially filled bottle high up also works, but it makes sense that having a second person pushing on the brake as you close the bleeder would eliminate ANY bubbles.

Nooby here, so take this with a grain of salt (Himalayan Pink Crystal only please) Although I have bled lots of brakes on multiple types of vehicles in the recent past.
The Bleeder valve is almost always at the highest point in the Caliper, so while it is possible some air could flow back into the bleeders around the threads, the bubble would be in a dead end - after the Foot to Piston fluid path.
I too have used the HF Vacuum bleeder, and Mytivac they both get a very small stream of bubbles, from either around the hose itself, or drawn in around the threads.
The Partially filled bottle high up also works, but it makes sense that having a second person pushing on the brake as you close the bleeder would eliminate ANY bubbles

The amount of air that gets into the threads is minimal however it does mean you are not applying the best possible vacuum at the calliper, and hence the overal system, this could leave bubbles trapped in the system.

If you don't have a constant pressure pump, then having someone press the brake pedal is correct whilst tightening the nipple.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom