Bleeding brakes: MityVac or Motive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m convinced brake bleeding devices needlessly complicate what should be a stupidly simple process. A 10mm flare wrench and a friend can accomplish this task in less time with less drama.

I’m convinced brake bleeding devices needlessly complicate what should be a stupidly simple process. A 10mm flare wrench and a friend can accomplish this task in less time with less drama.
I'd never go back...I bought the Motive to use on my Audi where it threads right onto the master. Much easier than the standard 2-person method in my opinion, having done both.

On the LC it's more of a pain, but I already had the tool so it wasn't much more for the adapter.

I've bled the brakes in everything from a Honda Prelude (still love those cars) to a M35 2.5 ton truck (yup - 6 wheels to bleed) - I've done it both solo and with a partner, and I will take myself and a Motive Power Bleeder over any two other people all day long. It is a great tool, but just because other people use it doesn't mean you have to - and just because you think it is unnecessary doesn't mean it isn't' a great tool.

I do both.

If you want to push a lot of fluid, the bleeder is nice..... Crack the bleed screw, sit back and watch it flow.

It's beats the "ok... alright... yup... ok.... ok... alright..." and cracking it over and over.

I do both.

If you want to push a lot of fluid, the bleeder is nice..... Crack the bleed screw, sit back and watch it flow.

It's beats the "ok... alright... yup... ok.... ok... alright..." and cracking it over and over.

Lol, exactly the point. I do not have to worry about my wife complaining about leg sore at the end of the day!! :)

I did a write up on my home made unit hose clamp on MC cap

20170513_162506.jpg

20170513_162512.jpg

W/ABS & LSVP, these rigs are a PITA to bleed. That's no secret. BUT I'll be getting rid of both of those Friday, hence why I'm looking @ bleeding options. I've bled a ton of brakes that had neither, & I agree it's not difficult @ all. Maybe I'll wait & see how it goes Friday after I remove ABS & LSVP before I buy a bleeder.
Best put them both back just prior to any major accident which has Insurance or other investigators looking at your factory – installed safety systems. If someone gets majorly FUBAR'd, and modification or removal turns out to be the cause, guess who only gets to see their Cruiser during visiting hours? :(

Last edited:

Agree, have used just about all of the bleeder types and all work, what I disagree with is, one type will do a better job. If you don't have willing help, the simple/cheap way is; a bottle, preferably clear, with a bit of brake fluid in it, remove the bleeder put some tape on the threads to seal them, connect tubing to it, put the other end in the bottle, submerged in the fluid. Gently pump the pedal until no more bubbles come out of the tube, close that one and move to the next bleeder, repeat.

Best put them both back just prior to any major accident which has Insurance or other investigators looking at your factory – installed safety systems. If someone gets majorly FUBAR'd, and modification or removal turns out to be the cause, guess who only gets to see their Cruiser during visiting hours? :(

Agree, opening yourself to major liability. Maybe I hang with too many insurance and lawyer types, but I wouldn't have anything to do with a rig that had that type of modification.

Agree, opening yourself to major liability. Maybe I hang with too many insurance and lawyer types, but I wouldn't have anything to do with a rig that had that type of modification.
Yeah, best case you're uninsurable. Worst case, your new girlfriend is 6 foot five, bald, tattooed, 300 pounds and all muscle. If you REALLY don't want ABS, get an older Cruiser that came without it.

Last edited:
This is no different than running without swaybars, big lifts, hanging 10K of junk on your rig or tires twice the size as designed for the vehicle. As the attorney who leave across the street says, you can get sued for anything any time. 99% of the time all they want and are willing to go after is your policy. Having been sued more than once with company owned vehicles that all they got. YMMV

This is no different than running without swaybars, big lifts, hanging 10K of junk on your rig or tires twice the size as designed for the vehicle. As the attorney who leave across the street says, you can get sued for anything any time. 99% of the time all they want and are willing to go after is your policy. Having been sued more than once with company owned vehicles that all they got. YMMV
I beg to differ: this is intentionally disabling a factory installed safety system. Legally speaking, that's quite different from adding things that may affect performance or handling. And if that safety system is federally mandated on vehicles of that year. Well, that's not looking good for the person who removed them.

It does look very good, however, to your insurance company – – which will seek to use your actions (reckless/negligent/illegal modification of a legally-required safety sysytem) as an excuse to bail on you, leaving you to foot whatever bill there may be, all by your lonesome.

Think of it this way: if you remove a safety mechanism from a gun, and someone gets shot with it--intentionally or otherwise--what's that going to look like in court?

Last edited:
I beg to differ: this is intentionally disabling a factory installed safety system. Legally speaking, that's quite different from adding things that may affect performance or handling. And if that safety system is federally mandated on vehicles of that year. Well, that's not looking good for the person who removed them. It does look very good, however, to your insurance company – – which will seek to use your actions (reckless/negligent/illegal modification of a legally-required safety sysytem) as an excuse to bail on you, leaving you to foot whatever bill there may be, all by your lonesome...

Your right to beg to differ and if true then its suits my lifestyle of living on the edge:)

I beg to differ: this is intentionally disabling a factory installed safety system. Legally speaking, that's quite different from adding things that may affect performance or handling. And if that safety system is federally mandated on vehicles of that year. Well, that's not looking good for the person who removed them. It does look very good, however, to your insurance company – – which will seek to use your actions (reckless/negligent/illegal modification of a legally-required safety sysytem) as an excuse to bail on you, leaving you to foot whatever bill there may be, all by your lonesome...

ABS is not federally mandated, surprisingly enough. It would probably be wise to inform your insurance company that your truck no longer has ABS, since most give discounts for vehicle so equipped.

It would be pretty simple to argue that installing larger tires also degrade the performance of a "safety system". The ABS system is not calibrated for the additional inertia of the larger tires. Of course that is an engineer speaking, not a lawyer, so YMMV ;)

ABS is not federally mandated, surprisingly enough. It would probably be wise to inform your insurance company that your truck no longer has ABS, since most give discounts for vehicle so equipped.

It would be pretty simple to argue that installing larger tires also degrade the performance of a "safety system". The ABS system is not calibrated for the additional inertia of the larger tires. Of course that is an engineer speaking, not a lawyer, so YMMV ;)
Just not the same as Setting out to intentionally disable or remove a safety system that the manufacturer felt was needed.

So, Mityvac or Motive?
:deadhorse:

Agree, have used just about all of the bleeder types and all work, what I disagree with is, one type will do a better job. If you don't have willing help, the simple/cheap way is; a bottle, preferably clear, with a bit of brake fluid in it, remove the bleeder put some tape on the threads to seal them, connect tubing to it, put the other end in the bottle, submerged in the fluid. Gently pump the pedal until no more bubbles come out of the tube, close that one and move to the next bleeder, repeat.

I prefer this way myself. No need for gadgets or helpers and its quick and easy to do.

I'll look into that method. Thanks.

Just finished deleting the ABS an LSVP, which will allow a TON of air into the system. The old lady was unavailable for a bit so I got creative and made my own mityvac from a 60cc syringe and a piece of tubing. It's a white trash version of the MityVac and worked quite well in a pinch. Then got the helper and did the 2 man bleed. Took a long ass time because so much air was introduced into the system all the way back to the MC. Got it bled out and tested it. For the first time owning this rig, in 55K miles, I could stop at a decent distance! It actually locked up the front first, which I'm cool with. I still need to add new brake lines and updated calipers but this mod definitely gave me better braking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom