BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive (3 Viewers)

@cruisermatt I was pretty impressed with the temp change as well. We did a 300 mile trip this weekend with ambient temps at 75 degrees F and the hottest it got then was 160 degrees F. We had a lot of short runs with stopping and sight seeing. But on the way home is when it hit the 160.

As far as the fluid goes, I wondered the same question. So yesterday I reached out to a friend at Amsoil and he sounded like they prefer it to be about 180 F to keep moisture evaporated off. And after our Sunday drive I would say in the summer that it will run close to that.

I put another hole in the bottom of the Blackbox for the temp sensor. I should put another sensor in the tcase and move the wire just to get a comparison.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

For the pump I went with this one. Electric Oil Feed and Scavenge Pumps Very happy with it so far. Very quiet and smooth. A couple things, old school company awesome to deal with. Make sure you order the fittings for the pump to go to whatever size hose you want. I went AN10.

Cooler I went with this one. Universal 19-Row Oil Cooler Not ideal fitment.. But, I was in a hurry, wanted to use it this weekend. I had the cooler from a previous project so that helped in the decision. That being said, I think this winter when the rig is down for avoiding salt, I think I will change it to this one, Universal Dual Pass Bar & Plate Oil Cooler, Large so both fittings come out the same side and its 1/3 again bigger, and lastly, I think the mounting points will work better for my cooling situation.

Northwest Fab said to use Redline MT90. Which I was fine with, except no one local has that to me. So.. Amsoil is close to me, so I called them and they said to use this. Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 MTG - AMSOIL Which I thought was a bonus since I had some of that. :)

With the whole system together it holds about 3 quarts now. I thought that was a nice amount of fluid.

Hope that helps.
Do you have a reservoir or is it not necessary?

I'm assuming that because this pump is a scavenge pump, it doesn't pressurize the blackbox, so the normal vent can still do its thing. Or did you plug the vent in the blackbox, pressurize it with this pump, and vent through a separate reservoir?

Do you have a reservoir or is it not necessary?

I'm assuming that because this pump is a scavenge pump, it doesn't pressurize the blackbox, so the normal vent can still do its thing. Or did you plug the vent in the blackbox, pressurize it with this pump, and vent through a separate reservoir?
I do have a reservoir. I am actually going to add a larger reservoir... I couldn't believe how much the fluid did expand.. It over flowed the small reservoir and helped rustproof the firewall and underside..

I used the same vent out the top of the blackbox. Ran that to the highest point on the firewall and put a reservoir with a filter on top for the breather.

Hope that helps.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

I do have a reservoir. I am actually going to add a larger reservoir... I couldn't believe how much the fluid did expand.. It over flowed the small reservoir and helped rustproof the firewall and underside..

I used the same vent out the top of the blackbox. Ran that to the highest point on the firewall and put a reservoir with a filter on top for the breather.

Hope that helps.
Ok, so to be clear, you kept the original black box vent out of the top of the black box, and used the two other tapped holes to route feed and return to the pump. I assume the return to the box has the reservoir in it, and the reservoir is also vented?

Ok, so to be clear, you kept the original black box vent out of the top of the black box, and used the two other tapped holes to route feed and return to the pump. I assume the return to the box has the reservoir in it, and the reservoir is also vented?
Yes, I kept the original vent out the top. That is my line to the reservoir.

On the lower hole on the side of the black box I went to the pump, thru cooler, back to the other side of the black box which was the higher hole(about 1/2 way up the side).

On a side note, with the cooler temps here in MN(it has been in the single digits) the pump blew a fuse. I had it setup to turn on with the ignition and when it was cold the pump could not pump... Now I put it on a switch. So I can let the black box warm up a bit before I start cooling it. I may go back and revisit that in the future. Maybe set it up on a fan control relay maybe?? Not sure yet. We will see how the switch thing works out for a little while.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

On the lower hole on the side of the black box I went to the pump, thru cooler, back to the other side of the black box which was the higher hole(about 1/2 way up the side).

On a side note, with the cooler temps here in MN(it has been in the single digits) the pump blew a fuse. I had it setup to turn on with the ignition and when it was cold the pump could not pump... Now I put it on a switch. So I can let the black box warm up a bit before I start cooling it. I may go back and revisit that in the future. Maybe set it up on a fan control relay maybe?? Not sure yet. We will see how the switch thing works out for a little while.
You're saying yes, but explaining no, lol.

To summarize, your pump system connects to the black box via two ports. The only vent in this system is through the reservoir. Correct?

You're saying yes, but explaining no, lol.

To summarize, your pump system connects to the black box via two ports. The only vent in this system is through the reservoir. Correct?
Lol. Yes it vents out the top through the reservoir. Sorry to be confusing.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

A simple thermostatic switch threaded into one of the holes that would complete the circuit only when the fluid temp reached a particular temp, perhaps?

MountNGoat

KK6WRY. Always Learning
GOLD Star

I like the sound of the simplicity of that!! I will check that out. Thanks!
That's essentially what I did on mine.

I see there are a couple options. So I would like your guys input. On the thermal switches there is 2 pole normally closed. I assume a person would want to control the relay with that style switch and not the pump..?

I also see grounding thermal switches which are 1 wire. I assume you could control the relay ground with that style..?

Less wiring running under the vehicle with 1 wire. But what other pros and cons to each. Thanks.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star

I see there are a couple options. So I would like your guys input. On the thermal switches there is 2 pole normally closed. I assume a person would want to control the relay with that style switch and not the pump..?

I also see grounding thermal switches which are 1 wire. I assume you could control the relay ground with that style..?

Less wiring running under the vehicle with 1 wire. But what other pros and cons to each. Thanks.
while not being an expert WRT vehicle electronics, I would go with a switch that was open when cold and closed (grounded) when at appropriate temperature.
@emorth bat signal lit... ( he is our club’s EE expert and retired automotive electronics instructor)

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star

while not being an expert WRT vehicle electronics, I would go with a switch that was open when cold and closed (grounded) when at appropriate temperature.
@emorth bat signal lit... ( he is our club’s EE expert and retired automotive electronics instructor)
Same thing I was thinking. Normally open thermo switch, that closes when it hits (or goes above) temp. That wired into the control side of the solenoid powering the pump would be perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Top Bottom