BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive (1 Viewer)

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
BlackBoxCruiserLogo.png

With additional crawl and low range options limited for the Land Cruiser enthusiasts, we decided to bring the Blackbox proven strength, low range, and versatility to the ‘cruiser market. We focused our efforts on the common 19 spline ‘split-case’ combination found in hundreds of thousands of Cruisers in the 40, 60 and 70 series from 1980-1989. These cruisers were built tough as nails and continue to survive in some of the harshest conditions on earth. Extremely versatile and capable, but one of the most critical areas on a ‘Cruiser had major room for improvement; gearing. Current gear offerings for the cruiser market fall short at best; a single deeper low range, or a weak dual gearbox. We knew the multiple gear selection, compact design, and ultimate strength of the BlackBox technology would be perfectly suited for the application.​

LC%20Case%20Thumb.jpg

There were three key goals in the conception of this project that we adhered to:

1) Shortest Possible Overall Assembled Length.

2) Land Cruiser specific lower case design, no additional adaptors.

3) Cross Compatibility with existing BlackBox Line (more on this below...)

Compatibility

H55%20Adaptor%20thumb.jpg

Using our innovative transmission mount, The BlackBox-c in standard form fits the following Cruiser transmissions and associated transfer cases

H42 4 speed manual ,19 Spline output, no extension housing

H42 4 speed manual 19 Spline output, /w Extension housing

H55 5 speed manual 19 Spline output

A440, 4 speed automatic, 19 Spline output

Cross Compatibility

The BlackBox-C has a hidden feature that some customers are going to find extremely valuable: the ability to adapt a domestic transmission or transfer case to a Landcruiser transmission or transfer case using only the BlackBox.

Since the front and rear case halves of the Blackbox are cross compatible across the product line, we can simply mix and match BlackBox cases to adapt different combinations, rather than buying a costly adaptor that also offers no gear reduction!

Cruiser Transmission adapted to Domestic Transfer case using the BlackBox:

If your build includes a centered rear differential such as Dana 60, and you want to utilize a domestic transfer case with a matching rear output, such as a NP205, or Atlas Transfer case, but also want to retain your Cruiser transmission, this is the solution. This would use a BlackBox-C 19 spline front case half, with a Standard, Titan or i series rear half depending on desired transfer case application.

Domestic Transmission adapted to Cruiser transfer case using the BlackBox:

This is the ticket if you are re-powering your cruiser. Pop an LS and GM automatic into your FJ, and you’re looking at a costly adaptor and length that offers no additional gearing advantages. Leverage the BlackBox’s cross compatible design: order a standard front case half mated to a Cruiser rear case half. Multiple advantages, one solution.

Pricing varys depending on Transmission and Transfer Case options. Please Message, Email or Phone us for a quote and a lead time.

NWF
250-248-6024
info@northwestfab.com

Way cool. :cheers:

Domestic Transmission adapted to Cruiser transfer case using the BlackBox:

This is the ticket if you are re-powering your cruiser. Pop an LS and GM automatic into your FJ, and you’re looking at a costly adaptor and length that offers no additional gearing advantages. Leverage the BlackBox’s cross compatible design: order a standard front case half mated to a Cruiser rear case half. Multiple advantages, one solution.

Pricing varys depending on Transmission and Transfer Case options. Please Message, Email or Phone us for a quote and a lead time.

NWF
250-248-6024
info@northwestfab.com

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Hi all,

Thanks for building this product, and offering it to the Land Cruiser community, but you are excluding hundreds of potential customers that run the H41/42 with the 16 spline output (folks like me!) :-(

Regards,

Alan

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Very cool... Do you have any of these out in the world, installed in a truck that is being driven?

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Hi all,

Thanks for building this product, and offering it to the Land Cruiser community, but you are excluding hundreds of potential customers that run the H41/42 with the 16 spline output (folks like me!) :-(

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

We had to start somewhere with the Land Cruiser BlackBox, at first we worked with the only Land Cruiser Shop around us and they suggested that we start with the Ultra Common 19 Spline. we are not opposed to branching out but to do so we need transmissions and transfer cases in hand to measuring and testing.

Kris
NWF

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Very cool... Do you have any of these out in the world, installed in a truck that is being driven?

Currenty we have sold 3 or 4 Land Cruiser BlackBoxes out there. One we know is not being driven yet as he is doing the install manual for us and he only got a month or so ago. another customer in California is doing a 4l60e GM Transmission to the 19 Spline Split Case he has had his for some time and im not sure where he is in he build yet.

Kris
NWF

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
THis looks like a very promising product... I'm sure once there is an install guide and some real-world experience you will do very well.

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
THis looks like a very promising product... I'm sure once there is an install guide and some real-world experience you will do very well.

Thanks we hope it will help fill a void in the Market! We just sold one this morning going between a 6L90E GM Auto and a Split Case off of the A440. The truck is Being built in Tuscon AZ then being shipped Overseas to see a very hard life.

I'm the one who bought the one today, and looking forward to putting it together and showing how it runs. I have a bunch of photos of the build and am documenting it as I go along. Will post them here either when I get stumped or finished.

It's a 1997 lx450, with a 2013 ly6 and 6l90e combo. Converted to part time 4x4. 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift. The rest I'll tell later

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
SILVER Star
This will fill the gap left by the end of the Toybox. Two questions:

Is there a possibility of doubling Blackboxes?
What is the ratio for the low range?

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
This will fill the gap left by the end of the Toybox. Two questions:

Is there a possibility of doubling Blackboxes?
What is the ratio for the low range?

You can double BlackBoxes you will be adding an additional 8" for a second Box.

The Black Box Ratio is 2.72:1 Low Range and 1:1 High Range.

Kris
NWF

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
I'm the one who bought the one today, and looking forward to putting it together and showing how it runs. I have a bunch of photos of the build and am documenting it as I go along. Will post them here either when I get stumped or finished.

It's a 1997 lx450, with a 2013 ly6 and 6l90e combo. Converted to part time 4x4. 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift. The rest I'll tell later

We look Forward to seeing yoru Build for Sure!

Kris
NWF

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Can you adapt to an SM420?

Currently there are 2 Options on the market to get a BlackBox onto an SM420.

First Option is from Advance Adapters Part Number 50-9702 this uses a spud shaft and is slightly longer than option 2 which is from Novak Adapters Part Number 423R which requires you to replace the Transmission Output Shaft.

Does your SM420 already have an adapter to go to a 19 Spline Split Case?

Kris
NWF

Currently there are 2 Options on the market to get a BlackBox onto an SM420.

First Option is from Advance Adapters Part Number 50-9702 this uses a spud shaft and is slightly longer than option 2 which is from Novak Adapters Part Number 423R which requires you to replace the Transmission Output Shaft.

Does your SM420 already have an adapter to go to a 19 Spline Split Case?

Kris
NWF

No. The only 19 spline t-case adapter currently available is the Advance Adapters 50-2603 where I lose 4" of driveshaft. While I ahve that much driveshaft to give, I'd prefer to get something for that, such as additional gearing or overdrive. I was going to do a Marlin SM420 - Toybox - Split case setup, but the Toybox hasn't been available for some time.

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
No. The only 19 spline t-case adapter currently available is the Advance Adapters 50-2603 where I lose 4" of driveshaft. While I ahve that much driveshaft to give, I'd prefer to get something for that, such as additional gearing or overdrive. I was going to do a Marlin SM420 - Toybox - Split case setup, but the Toybox hasn't been available for some time.

The Novak Kit is the Shortest currently on the Market but it requires tear down of the transmission to change the Output Shaft. The Other Option would be to buy the novak Kit for a dana 300 with the Dana 300 input (Just Use the Adapter) and we can get an Input Shaft Wire EDMed out to 10sp this would increase the Price about $250-$300 for the custom input.

Kris
NWF

Great to see you guys are Venders and a big thanks to Kyle and Kris for bringing this product into the cruiser community...I know its been a long time coming but being a small locally based company with no out sourcing all in house...

Rob:beer:

Last edited:
The Novak Kit is the Shortest currently on the Market but it requires tear down of the transmission to change the Output Shaft. The Other Option would be to buy the novak Kit for a dana 300 with the Dana 300 input (Just Use the Adapter) and we can get an Input Shaft Wire EDMed out to 10sp this would increase the Price about $250-$300 for the custom input.

My SM420 needs new synchros anyway so putting in a differetnt output shaft is a non-issue.

I'd love to see a '3 speed' version of something like this black box. 1:1, overdrive and underdrive. Not sure how feasable this would be, though.

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
My SM420 needs new synchros anyway so putting in a differetnt output shaft is a non-issue.

I'd love to see a '3 speed' version of something like this black box. 1:1, overdrive and underdrive. Not sure how feasable this would be, though.

Gear Vendors makes an Over Drive not sure how compatible it is with a cruiser but it may be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom