Bilstein vs OME vs Ironman shocks and springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
worldseasonings.com
I'm looking at replacing my springs and shocks on '84 FJ60. Some have suggested Ironman Performance kit - $1450 with 2" lift (0-440LBS). I've also read about OME Ultimate Kit from the fellas at cruiser outfitters. $1865. Seems legit.

I run Bilstein on my 07' Fj Cruiser and love them. I'd love to roll with Bilstein but am seeking advice from you all. This is my first entry into the FJ60s.

Currently there is a 3" OME lift on it, but the springs don't match from front to back. Front right shock is leaking so for sure need to replace.

Im looking for a more soft ride as a potential daily driver, but still have good performance when the family packs up to go camping.

Last edited:
I run bilsteins that I spec’d out on my 60. Two other members on here run the same ones. @js0k @CenTXFJ60

Let me know if you want the numbers for reference and I’ll dig them up.

OME Nitrocharger shocks are better suited for dirt roads. They’re very firm. Ride will be not as cushy compared to using a softer shock.

Go with the Bilsteins. I've been running a heavy/heavy OME setup on my FJ60 for 12-14 years, initially with the OME shocks. Swapped those out for Bilsteins a couple of years ago and the ride improved significantly.

Second example is a with our 80 series. I had it set up with OME stock height springs and OME shocks. Installed Iron Man coils and retained the OME shocks, the ride was ok. A few months ago pulled the OME shocks and installed Bilsteins and that dramatically improved the ride.

Go with the Bilsteins. I've been running a heavy/heavy OME setup on my FJ60 for 12-14 years, initially with the OME shocks. Swapped those out for Bilsteins a couple of years ago and the ride improved significantly.

Second example is a with our 80 series. I had it set up with OME stock height springs and OME shocks. Installed Iron Man coils and retained the OME shocks, the ride was ok. A few months ago pulled the OME shocks and installed Bilsteins and that dramatically improved the ride.
What kind of leaf springs are you running?

I have 2x Bilstein Heavy Duty (B6 4600) B46-0256 / 24-002561 and maybe wrong ordered (just checked again, no wrong order) or old stock broken but they are so soft that the car has a lot of more roll (lean?) in corners than it had.
I though sway-bar had come loose or something, the old ones are bad (different slide in and out force) but I would almost put them back on.
If it is a bit broken don't fix it. :crybaby: Now every time I drive it is annoying, maybe go to a local place where you can remove them if they are not what you want?

edit: had Monroe D8004

So no idea what I ordered wrong, but these really are to soft:

Upper Mount Type - Eye 16mm
Lower Mount Type - Eye 16mm

Just realize: did I mount them upside down? black cover is up.
2_27449e37f4468ff7bf87e8daedf3d65d_t.jpg

bilstein car part finder mentions the same B6 4600

Last edited:

What model of Bilsteins are you running?

Fronts 33-230368
Rear 33-185606

I’m running ome heavy/heavy with cs005 springs and it rides great.

I’ve done 100 miles of dirt roads in a day with no issues. It also flexs really well off road and I run my on road E rated tires at 50psi.

I’d use them again.

40D9EF15-10EF-4778-A356-AAC19272F205.jpeg

FF4F965B-E89C-4C98-A0B3-72A1F1D51E73.jpeg

06CE286F-25AB-49F3-A370-52358418380A.jpeg

Bilstein shocks are in a different league to OME and ironman imho. Bilstein any day of the week

Any reason those bilsteins listed above wouldn't work for the light/medium OME springs as well as the heavies? IE, are there differently tuned bilsteins that would be better suited for a lighter truck?

another thing to consider: are the original bushings of your body mounts looking like their age? or worse? mine were, I replaced them all with new hardware, and marveled and how much "tighter" my truck felt.

Any reason those bilsteins listed above wouldn't work for the light/medium OME springs as well as the heavies? IE, are there differently tuned bilsteins that would be better suited for a lighter truck?
No, they’ll all work well with any similar springs.

i'm loving my Bilsteins. Pretty sure @HemiAlex was instrumental in that decision. Please dont ask any spec or other pertinent info...bc im clueless.

screenshot_20211008-175611_messages-2-jpg.2807362

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom