Bike rack addition to spare swing out ideas....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured Id post up and see what others have come up with. Ive always wanted to take a bike along with me on some of our trail runs so Im looking to rig something up to my existing spare tire contraption.

Heres what Im working with.

booster056.jpg

booster059.jpg

booster057.jpg

booster058.jpg

booster060.jpg

booster061.jpg

booster062.jpg

What it looks like now.

fj60090.jpg

SO heres the plan so far. Lower the spare tire a couple inches so its even w the roof, this will let me garage it without folding the spare down. Then build a hook type deal off of the swing down that runs from the drivers side towards the passenger side (think hangin a bike by the rear tire from the ceiling of a garage). The bike would end up somewhere between the gas can and spare tire hanging vertically from the rear tire of the bike with the front tire pointing at the ground. I would then make a bolt on support that would mount somewhere (position depends on where the bike ends up sitting) and have a quick fist strap attached to that to cinch down the front tire...

My only concern with this design is that the front bike tire would be too close to the ground for any moderate/serious wheeling.

Option #2 would be to mount the bike diagonally across the back of the van. Couldnt mount it level since the bike would stick out past the sides of the van but I would get a little more departure this way. If I were to go this route I was thinking of trying to incorporate a receiver, positioned vertically, into the existing swing out somehow making the bike rack attachment simple to remove..

Option one would let me carry a variety of different bikes while option two would be tricky since my dually frame is different compared to the hardtail frame...

Any ideas or pictures of other set ups would be appreciated.

Note, carrying the bikes on the roof is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

D

Last edited:
a couple of ideas:

1. the old fashioned way--get a bike roof rack
2. keep it inside--fold the rear seat down, take off the front wheel and mount a fork mount to the rear of the seat back.
3. move the jerry can holder to one side or the other and mount a fork mount track (yakima viper or equivalent) vertically to your swing arm with the fork down and the rear wheel up.
4. bike rack companies also make a spare tire mount, so you might think about something along those lines.

Also think about posting up in the Bike forum...

Does the fork on your bike have a 9mm QR or Thru-Axle? You could mount vertically like you are saying but remove the front tire and then use a fork mount on the bumper/swingout to lock the bike in.

Mount something like this where I said and then you should be good to go, granted you would have to find somehow to mount the rear tire or clamp the bottom bracket.

BRLB_main_sized_618x408.jpg

a couple of ideas:

1. the old fashioned way--get a bike roof rack

My van is soa'd and on 40's.... A roof rack wouldnt be the easiest to get the bike up/down from. Also, I couldnt put anything on the roof since it just fits in the garage as is. Also, also, Some of the trails we hit are tight and theres no way a bike on the roof would survive.

2. keep it inside--fold the rear seat down, take off the front wheel and mount a fork mount to the rear of the seat back.

I want quick access to the bike and my front is a 20mm thru axle so its not as easy to take off the tire as a quick release. I take my dog with me and folding the rear seat is not an option.

3. move the jerry can holder to one side or the other and mount a fork mount track (yakima viper or equivalent) vertically to your swing arm with the fork down and the rear wheel up.

20mm, too much of a pain to set the bike up...

4. bike rack companies also make a spare tire mount, so you might think about something along those lines.

Also think about posting up in the Bike forum...

I would prefer to undo a quick fist or two and be able to jump on the bike and go. I dont plan to park the truck and go for a ride. Id like to be able to take it off the rack, bomb down a hill and throw it back on quickly (copilot would drive the van down the hill).

As far as positioning goes it would be ok if the rear tire were to stick up past the roof line a little to increase departure.

Im not looking to go out and buy a rack either. I have more than enough steel and other widgets stashed away to make whatever I need.

Just kickin a few ideas around, thanks for the suggestions and feel free to keep em coming.

D

Last edited:
I'd mount it vertically, possibly using an "ankle-biter" type mount (grabs one pedal's axle shaft) coupled with toe-clip straps to hold both wheels into a flat-bottomed 'V' shaped track. Going this way means that the frame shape is moot point and you don't need to remove a front wheel (which I know can be a PITA depending on the hub/fork combo).

Make the mount assembly with gusseted "saddles" that fit down on top of your tire carrier swing-a-way's horizontal tubes and use hose clamps to hold the unit onto those tubes. They hold Top Fuel Dragster engines in with 4 hose clamps, high grade hose clamps, but hose clamps none the less. If you go with QD T-Bolt style hose clamps then everything will pop on and off reasonably fast.

:beer:NorthShoreRacks.com do a very well designed vertical rack. the vertical can be articulated at the hitch to avoid hitting your massive spare. I can open my rear hatch with the rack in place. the best rack out there./
IMG_0822.jpg

Those are NICE racks....... I almost bought one but the no swing out option kept me from doing so......

:beer:NorthShoreRacks.com do a very well designed vertical rack. the vertical can be articulated at the hitch to avoid hitting your massive spare. I can open my rear hatch with the rack in place. the best rack out there./

Couple close ups of that rack would be cool. Exactly what I was thinkin but built off of my swing out.

Thanks

D

I have the perfect thing for you in mind,... now if only I can find a pic of it.....

EDIT: :frown: Its driving me crazy that I cant find it, but in the new film "Where The Trail Ends" (FreerideEntertainment) Darren Berrecloth builds a multi bike rack, like the north shore one, on the back of an FJ80 in the middle of nowhere China. Its perfect for what your looking for.... but I cant find a pic of it. If anyone has that movie, and knows what I'm talking about, you should take a screenshot of it and post it here.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, Ill try to find that vid.

D

I bought some steel tubing with the same OD as Yakima cross bars. This way all Yakima junk will clamp onto them. I welded them onto a a swing out about four and a half feet up off the ground so that the bikes sit across the rear of the Cruiser and they won't drag when I drive through stuff. They could be welded up any where and any way you want. BTW, you do not need the full-length "tray" in order to clamp down a wheel. I cut six-inch sections, just enough length to clamp securely to the tube and still have room for the wheel strap. Works great and you can mount plenty of bikes with just one tray when you cut it up.

Here are a few ideas for you...

The Yellow rack is easily made and could be modular. The other hitch racks are something I've been wanting to build.

I race downhill bikes so each bike weighs 40lbs and you always have buddies. So at least 200 lbs on the rack at least.
p4pb7370872.jpg
p4pb7370894.jpg
p4pb8149171.jpg

Nice. Keep em comin guys.

D

Swing out bike rack?

I bought some steel tubing with the same OD as Yakima cross bars. This way all Yakima junk will clamp onto them. I welded them onto a a swing out about four and a half feet up off the ground so that the bikes sit across the rear of the Cruiser and they won't drag when I drive through stuff. They could be welded up any where and any way you want. BTW, you do not need the full-length "tray" in order to clamp down a wheel. I cut six-inch sections, just enough length to clamp securely to the tube and still have room for the wheel strap. Works great and you can mount plenty of bikes with just one tray when you cut it up.

Hey Lehiguy, do you have any pics you can provide of your set up?

Working on a set up for my wifes 4runner. Thinking of incorporating the rack on the bumper swing out arm to allow her to open the back gate with the rack loaded with bikes. Sprare tire still resides under the vehicle so that isnt an issue. There are bike racks that do this but they are flimsy and cant stand the test of time and weight, especially on bumpy roads.

Anybody done something like this before???

Cheers

I am building a 60 right now, planning a long trip to the Yukon, and plan on sticking a bike up front. Now since I think outside the box, I'm thinking on adding the wheels to the tire rack on the rear, and the frame up front. With quick release axles, it's an easy idea. No damage, and no excess overhang.

Here's mine. It's a modified Thule rack that can hold 4 bikes. Pictures show my old 100, but I replicated the design on my 4BT80 as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Sportmobile guys have a nice setup that you can get ideas from.

66b5dbc4adce1ba1c07ba26b8b09f075.jpg

20f7f837a77678c8fea4b3ab1f827edd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom