Betty the Parts Rig Build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kev60

TLCA Member:23722
Threads
Hi, all this will be the start to a hopefully successful build of a 1971 FJ40 that I just couldn't keep watching rot away on the side of a nearby highway. It was used as a parts rig on several other FJ40 builds so it is missing some major parts but the body was in just too good of shape to let it go. It has a 1954 Chevy 235 in it currently which I was hoping to get going again, but after some major tinkering and carb rebuild I discovered why it was parked in the first place. It has an absolute terrible rod knock and will need a full rebuild. My dream for this build is to leave the patina of the cruiser but have a very mechanically sound rig for day driving and small trips of Off-roading . I am currently trying to decide what drive train I will go with on it. Option A is rebuild the 235 or find a running 235 to just drop in the current set up, option B is find a 2f and go back to stock, and option C is drop a 5.3Ls that I have access too. One problem I foresee is the stock 3 speed transmission in the cruiser and how well these hold up long term. I also don't think this would be a good option for the LS so suggestions on transmission/ transfer case for that option would be greatly appreciated. I will do my best to update with photos and posts as progress is made. Progress will be slow for the winter due to being a drive way mechanic for the time being living in the snowy state of Montana! Cheers!
IMG_0627.jpeg
vOWCK5UAT5icuaH6w25pKw.jpg
ykq8RIXSQCCovsGwqYpQLw.jpg

Last edited:
1. I pulled a fully self contained travel trailer to all of my monthly club's wheeling runs for many years with the stock 3 speed, so if your project is on a budget you might consider leaving the stock 3 speed tranny.
2. If you go SBC V8 make sure you send me your snail mail address for a freebie copy on my Downey Off Road Mfg. V8 installation instruction manual.
3. I have reconditioned/rebuilt Downey front and rear Chevota SBC motor mounts if you find you need them, less $$$ than new.

Oh yes Downey you were the one I have been meaning to contact! You were thinking that the trans adaptor would be the same if I swapped in a sbc correct? If so I most likely will be interested in those mounts.
Also regarding the transmission I think I will do my best to stick with it. I just started the beast again for a few seconds and made sure it shifted through the gears. Everything seemed to be in working order which is great news!

My retirement thing is restoring old Landcruiser parts and selling them in my ebay store, sooooo you have to get them while they're hot. I normally upgrade the motor mounts from their original condition. I presently have fronts (ebay #254617026162) and rears (ebay #254647829980), but they could be gone at any time. I actually have a better rear mount enroute to me, it's a genuine Downey, not the AA shown in this listing.

Wow, that is in very nice condition per the photos. That would be considered like gold here in Wisconsin. Glad you are bringing it back to life. I would go V8 because I always go V8 :). I ran the stock 3-speed in my original 67 mated to a carb equipped 350 with 35" swampers. Beat the hell out of it 6 or 7 times a year and never had any issues with the stock tranny, transfer case, or axles. I was using a super nice @Downey Off Road bellhousing adapter between the 350 and the 3 speed. Proven setup.

1608243638739.png

1608243687043.png

1608243714722.png

@Drake2 I also always go chevy V8 also which is one reason I want to try something else, but we will see I will probably stick with what I know! Thats a sweet looking rig also!

@Downey Do you know what else I would need swapping out that chevy 235 for a SBC? Is it the same adapter?

1. Should be the same adapter, possibly same flywheel (168 tooth for 11" clutch), should use same 11" clutch, should be same shift fork (see ebay #254810695033), should be same slave cylinder mounting bracket (AA #716288).
2. In addition to my front and rear motor mounts, I can throw in a temperature sending unit adapter, you can use regular 1/8" NPT fittings to mount your oil pressure sending unit in the hole beside the distributor.
3. Hopefully your SBC engine uses the long water pump so that you can mount the alternator in front of the cylinder head using all Chevy mounting brackets.
4. Not sure what your clutch is, but look/read ebay #264808317199.
5. Not sure if you've been converted to throttle "cable" linkage, look at ebay #264869163799.
6. Not sure if your Chevy 6 rig had the 3 speed tranny converted to floor shift, but tranny will go 3"-4" forward with SBC conversion, sooooo much easier with a tranny floor shift conversion. Look at ebay #264928250433, it shows how you would normally bend the shift lever on a Chevota conversion so that it doesn't hit the front heater box.
7. Lastly, once you send me your snail mail address, I can send you freebie V8 installation instruction manual, and it tells the rest of the story/needs.

Quick update on the direction of Betty...

I recently found a four speed transmission/transfer case on craigslist with the sbc adapter and mounts so I have decided to swap that into her with either the 5.3ls or an older 5.7l sbc. So next I will be removing the Chevy 235 and 3 speed to make room for the new drive train! I will take pictures as progress advances!
Also the reason I went with the new set up was for the manual shift transfer case rather then the vacuum actuated.
34EBE381-B509-4936-8C68-02682536E2B5.jpeg

Ok, the bellhousing you bought is the Lakewood Scatter Shield, it has no provision for "machine aligning" the tranny to the bellhousing, it merely relies on "bolt pattern" alignment, which can be .016" off, and make your tranny front oil seal leak, wear out pilot bushing/bearing, (among other things). I doubt you will be lucky enough that the previous owner had a CNC machine shop where they could machine align Toyota tranny dowl pins to GM engine dowl pin ???

Ok, the bellhousing you bought is the Lakewood Scatter Shield, it has no provision for "machine aligning" the tranny to the bellhousing, it merely relies on "bolt pattern" alignment, which can be .016" off, and make your tranny front oil seal leak, wear out pilot bushing/bearing, (among other things). I doubt you will be lucky enough that the previous owner had a CNC machine shop where they could machine align Toyota tranny dowl pins to GM engine dowl pin ???
Shoot I will have to look, if not I might just take it into a shop myself so I don’t run into those problems! Thanks for the information!

Yep, when Downey used new genuine Chevy bellhousings for our V8 adapters we had a milling fixture that had the SBC dowl pins located/installed. We'd put the bellhousing onto those dowl pins, then the CNC machine could correlate the necessary Toyota 4 speed tranny dowl pins relative to the Chevy engine dowl pins. Then we didn't need to establish alignment at the tranny bearing retainer.

I have gone from 2f, 305 chevy, 350 chevy and finally have the perfect combo in my opinion. LS 5.3 (lm7 out of a tahoe) with h42 and split case out of fj60. The engine drives so much better than the 350, and the split case is super quiet (0 whine). I used the fj60 gearbox mainly for the mount that was super easy to modify to the 40 frame, and the split case is a no brainer.

@A10Driver Good to hear, I was questioning whether to stick with the 5.3ls but looks like I’ll stick with it! How was the install with all the wiring and ect....

I cheated and used the holley terminator x stand a lone harness and computer. So super easy

I’m 3/4 thru my swap, so take that into account. The wiring isn’t hard, but it’s time consuming. I followed a YouTube video that did went step by step through the whole harness. It was my Covid project last spring.
Did you have the wiring harness already attached when you swapped the engine in? I would be pulling mine out of a 2001 Tahoe and do my best to keep everything attached well doing the swap! At least that's my plan not sure how realistic it is yet.

Did you have the wiring harness already attached when you swapped the engine in? I would be pulling mine out of a 2001 Tahoe and do my best to keep everything attached well doing the swap! At least that's my plan not sure how realistic it is yet.
I bought the engine/harness/ecu from a a guy parting out a ‘burb. I was lucky he did a good/gentle job of taking it out, all the connectors were in good shape. If you’re doing the dismantling from the vehicle, google it-there’s some tips on getting everything apart.
As far as the pairing down the harness itself, get a sheet of ply and screw it down. Gently cut the factory tape away and follow instructions. Like I said before- it wasn’t hard, but it takes a awhile to get it done. When I was done pairing things down, use a multimeter to check the each wire.
This guys method worked really well for me. I thought he did a really good job of going through the steps necessary. The link in his description for the pin outs was really helpful and a step up from the lt1 sheets. If you’re not in a rush, take it in small bites- it’s easier to digest that way.

Last edited:
Interesting color to that GSP, I've never seen one that looks almost a solid color like that. Good looking pooch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom