The Sherpa II Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've been over on the 80 Series Forum for the last 12 years, but was always wondering what ya'll were doing over here. Well, now finally get to find out! I just picked up this 1972 FJ40. I guess you could call it a storage-unit find. The PO tore into it well over a decade ago, built the engine (a 2F) and that's as far as it got. PO said he put a "mild RV Cam" in it, but I'm kinda dumb when it comes to technical motor stuff and not sure what that really means in terms of performance. Will have to dig into that. So I've got a strapped together 40, and a truck bed full of parts that I'll be needing lots of help with figuring out where everything goes. It came with the original 3-speed and another 4 speed that was thrown in with the deal. First order of business is to get a full bolt kit ordered and get the passenger front tire to stay inflated so I can roll it. I'll be using this as my build thread. Looking forward to meeting fellow 40 series Cruiser Heads!

PXL_20231029_234532464.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 10.13.18 PM.png

Congrats!
Looking forward what you do to it and bring it back to life.

Hi All,

First order of business is to get a full bolt kit

Welcome to the Circus. I’m about to do the same thing. Dave, at “Overland Metric”, can help you Ref: Full Bolt Kit.

@davework

So what I quickly realized here is that I've bought a Frankenforty. The blue paint inside the top, side doors and ambulance doors should have been the dead giveaway, and I knew they were from some other vehicle, but didn't realize that they are not 1972 correct. I already knew the 2F was not 1972 correct either, so this was never going to be a complete restoration, but I did want to keep it on the resto side of restomod. I think at this point going back to 72' doors and top is not economical, plus looking around there seems to be a lot more aftermarket support for the later models. I have a lot of cleaning up from the P.O. with what they did to the fame, etc. as it is. I guess my biggest worry is if this thing is going to look stupid or not. I know to the general public they won't be able to tell the difference, but am I going to get laughed at for having 1972 blinkers, windshield wipers etc, and later model pretty much everything else? What kind of things are faux pas when mixing/matching different year stuff on these 40s?

PXL_20231103_181922089.jpg

PXL_20231103_154112519.jpg

PXL_20231103_160427045.jpg

PXL_20231103_160410375.jpg

PXL_20231101_154029899.jpg

These trucks are like Legos. You can easily mix and match parts with a touch of fabrication. This one looks like someone has played this game. Would it bother me? No, but I not a purist. Especially if the mods are properly done. Will the purist turn their nose up? Perhaps. Should you care? Not if it puts a smile on your face.

So what I quickly realized here is that I've bought a Frankenforty. The blue paint inside the top, side doors and ambulance doors should have been the dead giveaway, and I knew they were from some other vehicle, but didn't realize that they are not 1972 correct. I already knew the 2F was not 1972 correct either, so this was never going to be a complete restoration, but I did want to keep it on the resto side of restomod. I think at this point going back to 72' doors and top is not economical, plus looking around there seems to be a lot more aftermarket support for the later models. I have a lot of cleaning up from the P.O. with what they did to the fame, etc. as it is. I guess my biggest worry is if this thing is going to look stupid or not. I know to the general public they won't be able to tell the difference, but am I going to get laughed at for having 1972 blinkers, windshield wipers etc, and later model pretty much everything else? What kind of things are faux pas when mixing/matching different year stuff on these 40s?

View attachment 3472104

View attachment 3472105

View attachment 3472110

View attachment 3472111

View attachment 3472112
Laughed at? No, especially since you are declaring it up front. I say build with what you got and get familiar with FJ40s. It will become clear as you go if you need to or decide you want to go all same year.

What I need vs. what I've got.

I have the original 3-speed transmission, and the bellhousing for it is already on the 2F. The Seller also threw in a 4-speed with a Downey universal SB bellhousing. What I want to do is put a H55F in this because I want to be able to go down the highway to my fishing spots without getting rear ended by an 18 wheeler. So I don't need any of these, but my question is will this 3 speed bellhousing mount to the H55F, or will I need a new bellhousing for that? Also, can this propeller type crossmember work with the split-case transfer case? Thank you!

PXL_20231105_175243104.jpg

PXL_20231105_175451906.jpg

What I need vs. what I've got.

I have the original 3-speed transmission, and the bellhousing for it is already on the 2F. The Seller also threw in a 4-speed with a Downey universal SB bellhousing. What I want to do is put a H55F in this because I want to be able to go down the highway to my fishing spots without getting rear ended by an 18 wheeler. So I don't need any of these, but my question is will this 3 speed bellhousing mount to the H55F, or will I need a new bellhousing for that? Also, can this propeller type crossmember work with the split-case transfer case? Thank you!
Sherpa-

5speed on a split case is really a nice option. But, you have a 4speed already. You can swap out the 4:11 for 3:70 gears in the diffs and run a taller tire. I did this early on. I can tool along without breathing hard on all secondary roads, hold a steady 65-68 on the interstate (which Im very seldom on) and still climb like a goat. Just saying, if you want to “dance with what cha brung“ and use the savings for “other things” it’s an option.

Great score BTW. Following along. 🍺👈 :popcorn:

Sherpa-

5speed on a split case is really a nice option. But, you have a 4speed already. You can swap out the 4:11 for 3:70 gears in the diffs and run a taller tire. I did this early on. I can tool along without breathing hard on all secondary roads, hold a steady 65-68 on the interstate (which Im very seldom on) and still climb like a goat. Just saying, if you want to “dance with what cha brung“ and use the savings for “other things” it’s an option.

Great score BTW. Following along. 🍺👈 :popcorn:
Will it go down the road ok with the 2F, 4 speed, 3.70 gears and 33" tires?

I’m on a 76 2f, 3:70’s and 17” FJC steelies. 4spd, and 1 piece TCase. YRMV depending. It’s an option. Or, in certain circles, a “course of action”. 😎👈 I’m just offering this as a way to absorb some of the associated cost, and there’s going to be “associated cost”, to get mobile while diverting $$$ to other areas. You can even have that 3spd case turned into a 4 spd. If I understand it right, that would give you a lower 1st gear. Options…🤔

I do encourage you to do some research on the forum. You’ll hear + and - regardless of your choice. I love the straight up stock resto threads. I’m just not one to play “inside the box”. At the end of the day, it’s yours, and if you are leaning toward something other than “stock”, which I think you are, you have some “freedom of maneuver”.

Reality is hitting me hard today.
I went through the crates of parts given to me by the former owner and realized most this stuff is garbage. There's a few items worth refurbishing, but I think I'm looking at having to source mostly new or at least a lot better than what I've got parts. I also am realizing that there's a lot of missing stuff. Mainly dash knobs, glovebox lid, and other interior parts, and that's just the stuff I know I need. I'm sure there will be a ton of other stuff that I come across that is just MIA. I reached out to the previous owner asking him to look and see if there was a box that got forgotten, hopefully that is the case and I can get more of the parts. Feeling pretty low at this point and think maybe I should just try to find a more complete FJ40 parts vehicle, or use this one for parts, what's left of it anyway. Overall it seems the rebuilt 2F is the only great thing out of this deal.

PXL_20231108_042711949.jpg

PXL_20231108_042655854.jpg

PXL_20231108_042649239.jpg

PXL_20231108_042646055.jpg

One man’s junk, is another’s treasure…
Personally I’d say browse this section a bit, spend some time with the truck, develop a sense of what you want out of the rig, aesthetically and functionally.
I prefer the older style, but can appreciate all the years. But a lot of people like the newer signals, taillights, dash, etc.
I’d hold on to everything until you figure out a plan and you’d be surprised what you can sell off to people looking for specific year parts for whatever reason.
Not sure what your time frame is, but my truck will sit for months, see a week or two of me bumbling around on it, then sit again, as time and money allow, despite my desire to see it moving forward.
Good luck, look forward to seeing the progress.

is hitting me hard today.
I went through the crates of parts given to me by the former owner and realized most this stuff is garbage. There's a few items worth refurbishing, but I think I'm looking at having to source mostly new or at least a lot better than what I've got parts. I also am realizing that there's a lot of missing stuff. Mainly dash knobs, glovebox lid, and other interior parts, and that's just the stuff I know I need. I'm sure there will be a ton of other stuff that I come across that is just MIA. I reached out to the previous owner asking him to look and see if there was a box that got forgotten, hopefully that is the case and I can get more of the parts. Feeling pretty low at this point and think maybe I should just try to find a more complete FJ40 parts vehicle, or use this one for parts, what's left of it anyway. Overall it seems the rebuilt 2F is the only great thing out of this deal.

Blank slate Brother. You the mini fridge and your imagination…Sure it might feel like the YODAVERSE kicked you dead square in the nads but, there are possibilities sitting in that pile…:popcorn::beer::cool:

Also, in addition to the sage advice above; I humbly suggest that you don't throw anything away for quite some time. What looks like complete garbage may eventually be some rare nugget that is unobtainable that you really need.

What I would suggest is to lay everything out in sections according to where it is in the truck.
Then you may have a better picture what you have and what you will need.
I think that rig is doable to get back together.
Good luck!

Don't get down on your find just yet! I see a lot of good stuff there that should not be thrown away. This is definitely not a parts rig...more of a rigs worth of parts. The body looks pretty darn good and that's a relief in itself.

I am also assembling one from tubs and totes given up on long ago. I live over in Alpine if you need any help.

Ian

Gotta start somewhere. Whoever took the top apart broke nearly all the bolt heads off. In their defense they do look pretty corroded. So got going on removing a lot of broken bolts. Some came out with vice grips, many didn't. I had to drill those out and re-thread them. Some were too far gone and I had to weld the hole and completely drill a new hole and re tap the threads. Got them all done now, and at least can start putting the top back together. I also ordered the SS hardtop hardware package from Overland Metric. Was a bit disappointed though that apparently that hardware kit is for later model hardtops, so it's missing a few bolts that the earlier models require, which sucks after spending almost $50 on bolts.

PXL_20231206_214536427.jpg

PXL_20231202_173939446.jpg

PXL_20231205_203319026.jpg

PXL_20231206_011235842.jpg

PXL_20231210_191453028.jpg

Dude, that rig is fantastic condition.
Try to abate any rust as you reassemble like on the rain gutter.
Also, spend the extra on OEM or high quality parts from reputable vendors (there are a few that seem good but either sell junk, gouge you on shipping or both). You may know that, but it’s easy to fall victim to $50 taillights vs $200 taillights.
I’ve got the junk $50 version on my rig with the $200 ones sitting in a box waiting to get in line.

Should’ve save the $50 and just bit the bullet in the first place.

The 40 section here is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom