Best way to deal with rain gutter rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a cruiser with significant rust on the roof where it joins the body. The guy says it doesn't leak yet but from the looks of it it will before too long. The metal probably needs to be replaced in some spots. What is the best way to deal with this in such a way that it will be water tight... forever.

Best!

P

a replacement would be the best. there are fiberglass tops out there somewhere. if you know how to weld and can replace it yourself coat it in something. white tinted bedliner maybe. i have had great luck with a product called "ZERO RUST" and it comes in a rainbow of colors.

Looking at the pics it seems that in order to really get it all out I'd need to pull the roof. How is the roof welded on? Is it is with spot welds could they be drilled out in such a way that the repaired roof could be welded back on? I do weld so If I can get the roof skin off with out screwing it up I could fix it up and weld it back on. It turns out that while water may not be dripping in there is rust visible from inside= rust in the seam for sure.

The top of the roof is bolted on. Once the roof is removed you will see rivets holding the steel rain gutter to the fiberglass roof. complete replacement rain gutters are available as well as just the corners.

Thanks for the info guys- It is a bj44 and I figure the gutters will need to come off- at least the right side. Looks pretty straight forward. The truck has a little rust here and there but all in all it seems doable without a full tear down on the body.

I may go for it......

P

SouthBostonFJ sells the replacement metal.

Thanks for the plug Hugh!

Here's the kit.

DSC_0072.jpg

South- looks good man- do you sell the parts individually or just the set? Just asking because the 44 is longer than the 40 and as of now I'm just looking at one side needing repair. Drop me a line with $$ and info-

roscoeivyatmacdotcom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom