Best tire for much asphalt but peace of mind on mild offroad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, is there any consensus (ah!) as to what would be a good tire that would offer great ride for DD on asphalt (say 95% of the time) and yet would be reasonably strong enough that we would not have to worry about taking the rig on a rocky dirt road every so often. Perhaps something that would not have aggressive tread but would still have good side walls so they don't get cut or split easily. I am thinking long stretches of dirt and rocky road without serious difficulties, cacti etc, so I am talking more about durability off-road than about traction. In other words, comfort and quietness is paramount for asphalt (wife's truck), but need some peace of mind so we don't hesitate to take it offroad once in a while (or else what's the point eh?)
thoughts?
thanks
eric

I would consider the Michelin LTX A/T. Quieter and less agressive than the BFG A/T, better ride, and really long treadlife. It is still supposed to be a good off road tire. Only catch, is the biggest size is a 265/75/16. You may also want to look at the Bridgestone A/T. Finally, I have a buddy who has gone from BFG to Avon tires and swears by them.

Cary

BFG ATs or Goodyear MTRs. The ATs don't have super strong sidewalls but what kind of rocks are you talking about? Rubicon or some Forest Service Road?

You have to be honest with yourself about how much off-road you really intend on doing. If having a smooth quiet ride is your greatest concern. Why not stick with the factory Michelens? They are super quiet and ride like butter. At best I think my truck goes off-road 5% of the time. And I go wheeling every chance I get. You will probably be best served with one of the non AT AT"S. IMHO Michelen, Bridgestone, Yokahoma
All make road going tires with a slightly more aggressive taste to them.
Just my .02 but I think the BFG at or GY MTR would be way to much tire for you.

N

The Michelin CrossTerrain is an excellent tire for the road and it's one of the few available in the stock size 275/70-16. It will do fine on rocky roads. It is the updated version of the LTX M+S that came on your rig - a tire we used to use at Toyota HQ on the 80s when we did offroad durability testing.

Doug

thanks all
Frankly, I'm not much concerned about noise and rougher ride, but my wife is. (You unmarried types will understand some day - hopefully... <G>)
I'm talking desert dirt roads, some National forest service roads, Baja... Southwest kinda stuff. Nothing very difficult so traction on rocks or in mud is not an issue. Sand a bit more, but I'm more concerned about taking in a rock through the sidewall since the side appears to be the weak point of road tires. And don't want to be stranded in the middle of Monument Valley or something similar...
(I assumed that the original Michelins (on the 100) be marginal for that. Correct?)
Eric

Uniroyal AWTs

Cheap, quiet, and I have my avatar pic with them on crawling through a trail...

I have been very surprised with how well they do in sand, mud, and on rocks for being just an "AT"

Wear has been incredibly good as well...coming up on 10K miles on em and the new nubbins just wore off.

I've used BFG ATs for the type of conditions you are talking about. They aren't really noisier than the LTXs, but they do have a lot better traction off road. Mud is not their strong spot. And the sidewalls are stronger in my opinion than the LTXs, however I've managed to destroy both though. But this was in more a more extreme use than you are describing. I also have a wife, was always happy with the BFG ATs. She said that she would prefer to go with ATs again over our current MTs, and she hates Swampers. The problem with buying tires for an 80 is that they are such a versatile vehicle. They are nice highway travelling rigs and they are good wheeling rigs. However, there isn't much offered in a go between tire. The BFG AT is more on the highway side of things which is where you are spending most of your time. That is what I would get for your described use.

Eric,

I'd recommend Michelin LTX M+S 285/75/16 (new). These tires have better snow traction rating than the CrossTerrain (which are better in terms of comfort & quietness).

Frank

I've had both the LTX AT's and the BFG AT's - the Michelin will last longer but for your money you cant go wrong w/ the BFG's. They are nice and quite on the road - and handle the off-road duties you are talking about with ease.

Tucker

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=7445;start=msg62250#msg62250 date=1068663509]I'd recommend Michelin LTX M+S 285/75/16 (new). These tires have better snow traction rating than the CrossTerrain [/quote]

I just checked the Mich site, they give the LTX M/S an 8 for winter traction, the Cross Terrains get a 10. Where did you see different? I've got four Cross Terrains coming this week for the wife's 80. Oddly, local dealer matched Tire Rack's price on them and on tires for my daughter's car. Used to be no one could touch Tire Rack's prices.

Scott,

That was based on customer ratings from TireRack. Co-incidently, my truck slipped pretty bad once for the first time on an icy road two weeks ago (the CrossTerrains are 1.5 y.o).

Frank.

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7445;start=msg62213#msg62213 date=1068658632]
Frankly, I'm not much concerned about noise and rougher ride, but my wife is. (You unmarried types will understand some day - hopefully...
[/quote]

There are way too many jokes to be made from that statement. I will settle for recommending you stay away from junk's momma if you are concerned about noise or a rough ride :flipoff2:

There are dozens of similar threads on this site so do a serarch and read some. Many of us are tired of posting. FWIW this is the first time in a while that I've seen michelins winning. Usually people in your situation seem to go with an AT and usually it's bfg at's all the way (price may be a factor). I have a set and I think they are very quiet and great on and off road tires. However, you won't go far wrong with others as most people seem to feel the same way about their own brand.

Swampers

:D j/k

-B-

Puleeeze, let's keep Junk's Momma out of this...
<G>
E

From looking at the BFG site, I assume that when folks say "BFG AT" they mean "BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO"...
Seems like this is indeed one of the top favorites
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7445;start=msg62434#msg62434 date=1068687447]
From looking at the BFG site, I assume that when folks say "BFG AT" they mean "BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO"...
E
[/quote]

Yes.
I ran the KO's for 3 years before I got my MTR's. I was religious about rotating them and in the end I sold them for 200 bucks. :D
They are noisier then any of the Michelins save the xml. That being said if you’re really freaked out about punctured sidewalls this is probably one of the tougher AT's.
All of my wheeling is done on pay to play land here in the South. That being said its tough one sidewalls down here as there is an abundance of stumps on the trails. FWIW I’ve never had a puncture.

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=7445;start=msg62434#msg62434 date=1068687447]
"BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO"...
E
[/quote]

Got 'em....Like 'em......Buy 'em

Ed 'em

I'm always a big fan of BFG A/T's. In fact, as I type this, my Michy's are being replaced by a set of BFG A/T 32 x 11.50. The BFG has a 3-ply sidewall, whereas most others I looked at only had a 2-ply (Duellers included, not sure about Dueller Revo). For a yahoo like me this would seem to indicate it has a stronger sidewall? This will be my third truck with them and I've never been disappointed with wear, traction, or noise. Mi dos centavos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom