Best socket set besides snap-on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You probably use the tools correct way.

I’d say 75% of the tools i replaced were from abuse. Using adapters, cheater pipes, impacts on chrome sockets, screwdrivers as chisels and pry bars... etc

I know this started out as a question about hand tools, but I have to comment on the Harbor Freight Daytona floor jack. If you don't have a jack, this is a great one to buy. I have it and I have been impressed. Lifts well and lowers slowly.

I use Gedore (German) sockets for the "Toyota" sizes. Expensive but they do not round off bolt heads.

I don't see any issue running craftsman sockets. I haven't broken one in 15 years. The ratchets can leave a bit to be desired and need rebuilt often. The gearwrench stuff all seems pretty nice by comparison. I've recently acquired a bit of snap on stuff and it is all of exceptional quality, as in best I've seen.

I use a mix of Snap-On, old Craftsman, Klein, and Proto sockets and ratchets. Wrenches I have a pile of Gearwrench, Klein, and Craftsman. Screwdrivers, Klein, that is it, I am an electrician after all.
Channel lock, Knipex, vise grips, and all the usual suspects for the other types of hand tools.

I bought Craftsman tools because they were a good buy for a college student at the time. I have not broken any wrenches ever. I have broken a couple of sockets. I wore out the screw drivers so I bought Snap Ons, best move ever I thought. And then Sears came out with a professional series so I took a couple of the worn out screwdrivers and traded up. I paid the difference. These scrwdrivers are about as good as the Snap Ons. They have good handles and the tips are really good
I also own a Husky pry bar, I've been pretty hard on it and have not been able to damaged it.
I have bought several Harbor Freight tools and broken them. I have decided its not worth the trouble to buy them.
I have several Matco hand tools and Snap On torque wrenches. I have not had any issues.

The only advice I can give is if you need them to make a living get the best tools you can get. Or if you keep breaking them upgrade your tools to something better. The last thing you want is a broken tool in the middle of nowhere. A warranty replacement won't do you any good since you are miles away.

Since the Cman stuff has been going the way of harbor freight, and harbor freight getting a bit better I have a big hodge podge of hand tools.

I am slowly rebuilding and swapping my main box out for Quality items and not necessarily just one branding

This is how I am putting it together and moving my good Cman stuff to secondary/extra/and truck kits, and getting rid of the Crappy stuff that lives in tool bags and truck kits that are rusted or just dont work ....

Sockets, Wright tool, or Proto stuff.
Ratchets , Wrights though I would like to get my hands on some of those new 90 tooth Protos (aka MAC tool)

End Wrenches, Wight tool ( their "wright grip is as good as Sanpon flanks)
Ratchet wrenches. those SK X-frame look awesome just in SK tradition they have some girth to them So I dont know what I will start replacing broken Cmans with if and or when I need too.

Screw driver/Drivers, General use stuff Wiha and Wera, and the precision drivers are Wera both German made
J.I.S. Drivers, Vessels ( you should own a set if you have a Japanese made product)

Pliers of all types. Knipex (german as well)

Air tools, IR

As I replace or need to add Drills or taps, prolly going to try and get Norseman if at all possible from now on.

If you don't make a living with the tools then I'd wait for the frequent sales that Home Depot and Lowes have on tools. You can get some screaming deals on tools that will be just fine for what you are doing. I have a bunch of 35 year old Craftsman tools that were my first tools as a teenager and there is a big difference in the last Craftsman tools I bought and those older tools. Husky or Kobalt (catch the sales) would be my choice if you're on a budget.

Since Craftsmen is no more, I go with the Mastercraft Maximum stuff from Cambodian Tire. They go on crazy sale often, never broken much of anything, and if you do break, similar walk in and get a new one lifetime warranty that Sears had.

If I wrenched for a living, maybe I'd spend more. I spend for the electrical tools: Fluke, Klein, Knipex, Veto bags, Pelican flashlights, etc.

What do you like for battery operated impact drivers, esp getting off bigger nuts when you don’t feel like dragging the compressor out?

The quality of my sK sets are amazing. They are American made and heavily discounted on line.

Previous Snap-On Dealer here.

Its like this... If you use these hand tools for a profession OR you like a high quality product and enjoy the many small benefits, buy the Snap-On.
The small advantages like the thickness (or lack there of), flank drive plus, chamfered edges, open end arc (many competitors have this now), and overall quality of metal, make it a better tool.

There is truth in this. I have a mix of stuff from HF to decades old Craftsman to GearWrench, etc… Over the years, a few things here and there have broken - split sockets, chipped screwdriver tips, and so forth. Honestly, not from abuse, but probably from using it harder than was expected. But that isn’t what I judge tool quality on.

Every now and then I’ll be called on to do something at a family member’s or friend’s place and when I ask if they have any tools they haul out some conglomeration of “tools” that look like they were prizes out of a cereal box. I have no idea where people are even buying these things. Even the HF stuff is better than this stuff - and would likely serve the average homeowner without issues. As long as you’re buying above that level, you’re more than halfway there.

The times I really appreciate quality tools is when it isn’t an average project. Like tplane says, thickness is a big issue. I find the cheaper tools bulk up to compensate for lower quality materials. I’ve seen a lot of situations where a cheaper tool just won’t fit because the wall thickness of the socket or the head of the wrench is just too big. Then you start doing stupid things to try to make things work. The other thing is how well the tool grips when you’re dealing with corroded fasteners and such. A cheaper tool will round things off, slip off, or do other damage where a quality tool gets the job done.

As such, and guessing you’re on a budget of some sort, start out with the biggest combo set you can afford from one of the box brands - Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, etc. Pay attention and wait for sales - you can save a lot right there. But then from that, add to the set as you have the funds and pay attention to what you need and where you’re running into trouble. Something as simple as a screwdriver seems like nobody could f*** it up. But then you use a really quality screwdriver and realize how much easier it makes such a simple task. It doesn’t slip off the fastener. It doesn’t strip out the head. As you learn, you’ll find the things that you want to spend money on to do right.

The advantages of the tool truck brands for the professionals comes down to “time is money.” They come to the shop so you’re not out running around trying to find the tool you need. You’re also not going to make more work for yourself with stripped fasteners or breaking parts rather than removing them. When you start looking at the other costs - wages, benefits, overhead - of a business, the extra paid on tools is a lot more understandable.

Anything wrong with Tekton?

No, I think that the stuff is really well made. I have purchased some extensions, ball pein hammer set, rubber mallet and like them all. Fits in well with the rest of my hodgepodge collection of tools, some of which is high quality and some cheap crap.

What do you like for battery operated impact drivers, esp getting off bigger nuts when you don’t feel like dragging the compressor out?

I have the Milwaukee 1/2 in drive and it'll take anything off. Same battery will work on drills for wire wheels and their 1/4 in impact. Good system. They have a 3/8 impact too but I'm still using a Snapon 3/8 I bought 8 years ago with the original 2 batteries.

I have the Milwaukee 1/2 in drive and it'll take anything off. Same battery will work on drills for wire wheels and their 1/4 in impact. Good system. They have a 3/8 impact too but I'm still using a Snapon 3/8 I bought 8 years ago with the original 2 batteries.

What size battery pack is it?

I have a different outlook than most. I worked at a shop that had tool trucks stop by and would watch co-workers spend large amounts of their money on said tools. Granted it was work related so if they were smart the purchases were tax deductible.

However... I watched them break/burn out tools. Those tools that "lasted" also had sets with missing sockets, extensions, wrenches from losing them.

s*** happens. As good of a wrench or socket as you buy, a long cheater bar and a rusty hardened bolt can wipe it out.

I buy cheap - rarely break tools and I'm very hard on them. I buy 10mm, 12mm, 14mm (etc) - The common sizes - in quantity so I'm not "digging" trying to find that one tool. Get six/twelve sided, short, deep, and impact sets. Buy muliple

If I break or lose a $2 socket I buy 3 more.

The odd ball tools - buy quality brand if you want. Doubtful you'll lose something that is rarely used. For instance my Snap On Radkit plus A is an awesome tool that I infrequently use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom