Best socket set besides snap-on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you take your time you can find good Craftsman sockets & rachets on Fleabay.

If the sockets have casted lines around the square drive end of the socket parallel to the fastener you place it on, they are from the 80's/90's & good enough to last.

I have some sets from back then in all 6pt (I'm a huge fan of 6pt if I can catch a bite with them, otherwise I resort to the 12's) - ones I bought as new sets & they have lasted something close to 30yrs now, even surviving my late teens/early 20's 'anger issues' & not being smart about heat & lube over a cheater bar for stubborn hardware.

My go-to sets are Snap-on 6pts in std & deep, but I keep a full set of every socket Craftsman makes from 1/4" drive thru 1/2" drive - I rarely need venture from my Snap-On tho - they really aren't bad $$$ if you pawn shop 'em to add to your collection.

I love my old Craftman rachets tho - they are far less fussy than my few Snap-On ones in all reality. My ~16" 1/2"dr flex head Craftsman is my go-to if my 3/8" isn't enough - prob my fav ratchet in my drawer.

Trying to find something between Home depot Husky crap and insanely expensive snap-on. C
At risk of a bunch of BS coming back at me, I'm going to state my opinion,tools are like anything that you buy. You can spend $100.00 on a pair of jeans or $25 on a pair of jeans at the end of the day you buy what you can afford. l've been buying tool for 50 plus years, and for the most part I have craftsmen, because that is what was readily available to me. That being said, if you can get past what everybody else thinks, buy what you can comfortably afford, nowadays I buy from harbor freight, Home Depot or lowes.if your buddies have a problem with the tools that you buy, they don't have to use them. If you use your tools to pay your bills then absolutely buy the best, most expensive tools you can buy ( they are a tax right off) otherwise buy what works, because, that is all that matters. Hope this helps.
P.S. Home Depot, lowes, and harbor freight. All have life time warranties.

For wrenches and sockets and for that fact most of my tools now are now Kobalt. Except for my bike specific are Park and ski specific that are SVST. Lowe’s is near me and convenient, I’ve never had a failure or a concern in quality. I use them fairly often around the house, camper, and use at the on post auto shop for lifts and pneumatic. I do most the needed work on my wife’s MB E 4matic. In the PK (pre-kids) era I had a non street legal car I raced and did most of the work on, but I’m not a Professional mechanic.

About 15 years ago I had a my entire tool cabinet stolen from my garage when we were stationed in KY. That was mostly stocked with 25+ year old craftsman and snap-on (I picked up at pawn shops) for my use I really don’t notice a difference in those and the newer Kobalt I use now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom