Best Place To Get A Vortec? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where can I get a Vortec for a good price?

Not sure if I want to do the 4.8 or the 5.3

Maybe you can convince me to do one or the other.

Suggestions?

from the junk yard. you'll be able to see what the engine is pulled from and know milage and condition of the junk.

pull the engine all the way back to the cats, tranny is optional. make sure you get the entire wire harness and computers intact.

devo

thanks. I will start looking in that direction.

So any tips on the size question? Will the 4.8 fit better than the 5.3? Upside/downside of either?

Last edited:
i run a 1997 5.7.
i do believe that the latest conversions are being done with the 5.3. these engines are lighter, have more modern electical and fueling technology and have better hp and torque than the 5.7.
the 5.7 and 5.3 fit well into a 60. is the 4.8 a 6? seems like it might be to small for a big truck.

there are plenty of both to pick from in the many junk yards of denver.

devo

from the junk yard. you'll be able to see what the engine is pulled from and know milage and condition of the junk.

pull the engine all the way back to the cats, tranny is optional. make sure you get the entire wire harness and computers intact.

devo
Howdy! You can also watch the classifieds and Craiglist/Auto Traders for vehicles that run good, but have lots of rust and/or body damage. Cheap, and you can drive it home without a wrecker. John

the 5.7 and 5.3 fit well into a 60. is the 4.8 a 6? seems like it might be to small for a big truck.

devo

The 4.8 is the motor that they have been using in the Silverado since at least 2000. It is a V8. It is just the smallest displacement V8 that they made for that truck that still tows well. I pulled a 6,000 lbs car and trailer behind it over the I5 in california and it did great. Not that I plan on doing any towing with my 60.

The main reason I am asking about this motor is because I only see people doing the 5.3 or bigger and I like the gas mileage of the 4.8 better without having to sacrafice a lot in the power/torque department.

here is a link to the specs on it

Gunnar get a 5.3. I thought the desmog was going to hold you for a while. V-8's rule too bad your not in LA any more or I could of helped you out. Keep your 5 speed and do the 5.3 it is an easy conversion.

Send a PM to Manuchao he got his 5.3 from a wreaker, and the engine had only 40 (yes 40 actual miles) miles on it!

Dynosoar:zilla:

Gunnar get a 5.3. I thought the desmog was going to hold you for a while. V-8's rule too bad your not in LA any more or I could of helped you out. Keep your 5 speed and do the 5.3 it is an easy conversion.

Send a PM to Manuchao he got his 5.3 from a wreaker, and the engine had only 40 (yes 40 actual miles) miles on it!

Dynosoar:zilla:

The noise at cold start that I called you about after I did the desmog is rod knock :crybaby:

As one might assume I am not too happy about that. I like my engine the way it is- all original toyota parts, but as I told you before, if I have to take the time to take it out I am going to go Vortec. I will drive this motor until it dies and then do the swap, but i want to have the parts ready to start the swap as soon as it does quit on us.

Thanks for the tip on Manuchao. I will pm him now.

Here's another option for you...I got mine from Ebay, believe it or not. There's a company called Schram's that pulls engines, etc. and sells them online. I got a 2007 GM 5.3L Vortec from them and it's pristine. The paperwork said there was only 1 mile on the thing...

They shipped it freight and it took about a week or so to get to me.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip on Manuchao. I will pm him now.

Sorry to hear about your engine Mr. Toad.... I had an all original TOY engine once and loved it....but it was not meat to be....

Here's another option for you...I got mine from Ebay, believe it or not. There's a company called Schram's that pulls engines, etc. and sells them online. I got a 2007 GM 5.3L Vortec from them and it's pristine. The paperwork said there was only 1 mile on the thing...

They shipped it freight and it took about a week or so to get to me.

Good luck!

That's the same place I got my engine/tranny from..... really clean with a complete harness, gas pedal, Air intake and exhaust manifolds including all 4 O2 sensors and CATS...

Check them out the always have something for sale and the prices aren't too bad....
But yeah try to get ALL your parts before you get started....waiting of parts kind of sucks....

Good luck...:beer::beer:

Frank, what are you doing posting here when you should be finishing YOUR swap!!!!

I got mine from Ebay... Complete 5.7 swap..... There are a number salvage yards that post this kind of stuff on ebay. Mine had everything....full harness, battery cables, part of the exhaust witth all 4 o2 sensors and converters, + ECM. Everything but the actual air filter housing. I would want the complete wiring harness, gas pedal if required, all accessories, air tube and air filer housings, ehaust manifolds and anything under the hood that's connected to the engine, + ECM / PCM. If you have run down all the little misc parts and brackets and whatever else its going to take forever....

as far as i can see about the specs on the 4.8 it's the torque/hp curve. the 4.8 has to really wind up to produce any energy.
a 5.3, 5.7,6.0 gets everything you need early in the curve.

and as mentioned above make sure you get everything that makes the engine work from the vehicle you pull it from. if you have to go looking for pieces and parts you will regret it. what ever made the engine function in the oem vehicle you want it whether you end up using it or not.

devo

The 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 all have the same external dimensions so pick the one that best fits your HP/torque curve needs and pocketbook. Like said earlier a good way to go is get a "new" pullout with all electronics and harness. Stricker and Schram are two of the biggies that usually have at least one of each in stock, check their websites or look on eBay as they usually have something there. If you want something closer to wherever you live car-part.com is another good source.

the place I got mine off Ebay was kapauto.... did a good job on shipping and included everything that they said in their ad. I think they are located in TN.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

It takes a little effort figure out how to work it, but there are lots of 5.3s and 4.8s.

I hate to contradict a fellow mudder, but I wouldn't say teh 4.8 is a good tow engine. I don't even think the 5.3 is that great a tow engine. But for just puttin' around, the 4.8 is probably a great option. I have a 5.3 I got off car-parts sitting in my garage waiting to go into my FJ60 - want to come help and learn how to do your in the process?

Peter

If you want to go crazy(like i am) search for a 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird or a 2004-2005 CTS-V. You will get an LS1 in the Camaro/Firebird and possibly an LS6 block if you get a late 2001 or 2002 year model all aluminum motor. Yes the truck motors are easier to find, but if you're already searching you minus well expand your horizons. If you do get an LS1 you will have too much top end power and not enough bottom end. That's where you can swap in the 6.0 intake manifold to bring your top end down and make around 360 lb/ft of torque I believe. That's just me and my shenanigans.

I have a 5.3 I got off car-parts sitting in my garage waiting to go into my FJ60 - want to come help and learn how to do your in the process?

Peter

I would love to... But I don't go to California anymore. Every time I go there something in my life goes wrong. I like my life the way it is. So I look forward to a killer write-up when you do the swap.

6.0 uses a different flywheel set up for the clutch though. Same bellhousing adapter but different flywheel. We have some unfinished buisness Mr. Toad. Can you PM me your # again???? Hijack over..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom