Best phone mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess this thread is a good spot to update the info on my dash bezel. I reinforced it heavily and now include a backing plate to mount my new cell mount. Trying to make that little spot as functional as possible. My cup holders also now accept a phone but that's a bit off topic.
80 Series Accessories Dash Bezel/Cell Phone Mount | BH3D Printing

EBA6062F-38B2-4A23-90E8-081ED92154CA.jpeg
C1AE56DC-55A3-459B-8553-24571E16C603.jpeg
Reviving an old thread here, but wanted to share the car mount that is working great for me. WizGear Air Vent Mount ($9 on Amazon) - doesn’t require any drilling, works with magnetic cases, and doesn’t block view of AC or stereo/navi. Seems very secure so far but isn’t grabbing the AC vent hard enough that it’ll break it or is the phone blocking the AC airflow to the driver. Great solution, much better than those AC vent mounts that just slide in over the vents and come off with your phone every time you try to dismount it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TRQIXWA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tviiAb16NYMSH

This is probably my favorite mod to date. Made a small bracket that wraps around the area between the two vents. Welded a 1/4" thread nut on it to use with the ram mount hardware. Took one of the "blanks" on the dash and turned it into a usb port that connects to the back of the stereo. I used the Quad lock mount ( Adhesive Mount - Twin Pack ) and adhered it to the ram mount and my phone. Just a 45* twist and the phone comes off. This is nice as I can use all the quad mount hardware for my other activities like biking and jogging.

View attachment 1186502

View attachment 1186510

View attachment 1186503
This is brilliant! I pulled my dash apart to measure and look at making one of these.

Does it bolt together behind the vents? Any info is appreciated.

This is probably my favorite mod to date. Made a small bracket that wraps around the area between the two vents. Welded a 1/4" thread nut on it to use with the ram mount hardware. Took one of the "blanks" on the dash and turned it into a usb port that connects to the back of the stereo. I used the Quad lock mount ( Adhesive Mount - Twin Pack ) and adhered it to the ram mount and my phone. Just a 45* twist and the phone comes off. This is nice as I can use all the quad mount hardware for my other activities like biking and jogging.

View attachment 1186502

View attachment 1186510

View attachment 1186503

I’m running a Wits’ End Useless Cubby Insert with A RAM arm and magnetic RAM mount. I can position my phone exactly where I want it. I like having it higher so I can watch the road with my peripheral vision, if I need to glance at my phone. I have steel plates on the top and bottom of my phone that work with the circle of magnets, without blocking my wireless charger.

719D0BB9-DD8E-49A0-9749-90F47BCF59BB.jpeg

I went with the WitsEnd cubby insert and RAM X Grip on an arm. I added the MotoPowerPuck to that for Qi wireless charging. Works awesome!

08B7CFA6-E341-4664-8B29-224263A0279E.jpeg

Put your phone under the arm rest; drive, enjoy.

I made this up last night pretty happy with it so far. Very solid and stable for all those offroad bumps.

I worked with Spiker Engineering on his scan an ultra gauge mounts he makes for Tacoma & 4runners. Very cool products, but the mount he sent didn't quite work in the 80. However, his products inspired me to make my own HD mount, bracket and holder.

I really wanted to go with the custom bent bracket between the AC vents in the middle of the dash ( @Summiteer post#20) but realize this was an easier, more accessible, and potentially much more solid location.

I used some RAM mount components, a very nice aluminum CNC cut compression phone holder with the RAM mount ball in the back, random fasters and steel stock to mock this up.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome of this beta example.

Screenshot_20200810-111334.png

Screenshot_20200810-111412.png

Screenshot_20200810-111621.png

Screenshot_20200810-111636.png

Last edited:
Mine

052FB9CB-1B20-4853-BDF9-7C2FE654E3EC.jpeg

37B79035-83A7-47E8-9109-AAE4A030A7CD.jpeg

Rokform has a magnetic and locking ring that gives me a double-duty phone mount from my bike to my truck.

It also comes with a light weight tether.

The magnet is really helpful when working on the truck and being able to stick it right to the body panel, etc when wrenching on something.

I made this up last night pretty happy with it so far. Very solid and stable for all those offroad bumps.

I worked with Spiker Engineering on his scan an ultra gauge mounts he makes for Tacoma & 4runners. Very cool products, but the mount he sent didn't quite work in the 80. However, his products inspired me to make my own HD mount, bracket and holder.

I really wanted to go with the custom bent bracket between the AC vents in the middle of the dash ( @Summiteer post#20) but realize this was an easier, more accessible, and potentially much more solid location.

I used some RAM mount components, a very nice aluminum CNC cut compression phone holder with the RAM mount ball in the back, random fasters and steel stock to mock this up.

I couldn't be happier with the outcome of this beta example.

View attachment 2399461

View attachment 2399462

View attachment 2399465

View attachment 2399466
After 4 months and many off-road, rock crawling, and highway trips the temporary mount I threw together with the intention of making and figuring out something near the center clock while retaining my cup holder ;) has become permanent.

Once I got uses to the left side I love it. The mount is beyond secure even while rock crawling and out of the way no distraction.

I went with a blue sea USB charger as well, and now I nocables going across the steering wheel.

Clean complete install, by accident.

Screenshot_20210102-152449.png

Nice. Would still work in a '90 RHD 80 series?
As long as the dash matches up where the piece mounts? Got a pic of your dash?

No pictures but I use a ram mount screwed to the center console, a 3" extension arm, followed by a ram mount magnetic base. It works incredibly well for holding the phone and for quick mount and removal. The center console mount also allows for easy hookup to my Android auto radio. The mounting location on the center console unfortunately blocks me from adding the absolutely necessary cupholders and I've been reconsidering placement.

Before I had the magnetic base, I had the ram mount X-grip. Hated it. It took two hands to install a phone and often pressed buttons on the side of the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom