Best Mods under $50... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed wiper arms from a 97 4runner and 17" wipers. The arms have better pressure and the newer hook type attachment for the wipers. Then used one from a 80 series for the rear.

Good idea!

I just bought some 20" rain-x blades and popped them on for both DS and PS. They don't chatter, nor does the extra blade surface seem to cause an issue with my linkage.

I'll get a pic of the rear at end of weak when I'm home but it looks the same as the original except for the wiper attachment. Direct bolt on. As for wipers I bought some new Michelin hybrids that I'm a fan of so far.

image-2217859312.jpg

Here's a pic of the rear wiper arm from an 80 series.
image-2217859312.jpg

well i fabbed a 12 foot aluminum boat rack for my roof today on my confer rack. a couple of pieces of metal for 3 bucks a piece bolted onto the side of the rack and sticking up about 4 inches above the top rail so it doesnt slip off the sides. then a couple tow straps to for the front and back of the boat so its doesnt go anywhere forward. then some of these http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dryw...202&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0,i:110 except in plastic for my roof rack so i dont scrape off the paint all the time. i can basically put a 12 foot aluminum duck boat on my roof by myslef at 4 in the morning under a full moon.

Replaced the dry rotted, hard-as-a-rock rubber bumpers on the hood to apron latches on my 40 with 4 rubber feet from an old PC tower and some small screws and nuts I had here already... Cost: free-ish. Time: 10 minutes.
2012-10-15_18-00-08_546.jpg

Sound dampening for center consol

Just added some spray foam insulation to the center consol to help get rid of the cheap hollow plastic feel and sound.

I drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the lid and sprayed it in. I used masking tape to mask off some of the holes and prevent the insulation from getting into the switch area on the bottom. Keep some acetone and rags around to clean up the mess as the foam expands. If i did this again, I would get the water based cleanup version.

I'm pleased with the result. The consol has a more solid, less flimsy feel when opening a closing the lid. It also reduces a bit of the noise from items inside rattling around.

Cheers
CtrCons2.jpg
CtrCons1.jpg
CtrCons3.jpg

Good thinking^^^^

I pulled my stock console out and replaced it with a metal toolbox, but I currently am lacking a cup holder so my best mod under $50 is a roll of duct tape:
IMG_20121127_155112.jpg

Then again it's a trail rig, I have a welder and a grinder so most of my mods are under $50.

My rubber hood bumpers on my FJ60 cracked and fell off. They were some ill-fitting generic ones that I had bought at a local auto parts store. So, I fabbed some from small pieces of rubber hose (0.6 inch inside diameter, Gates part #28467). I cut mine by trial and error (one is 1.22 inchs and the other is 1.08). They fit firmly over the Phillips head adjustable studs and have stopped the rattle.

I think these can still be had new, and they're pretty reasonable.

The transfer case lever rattle/vibration is pretty annoying. It goes away with simply holding a finger on top the lever. so I took one of the rubber bracelets that various organizations dish out for free at community events, and put it around the shift lever and transfer case lever, creating just enough pressure to take away the rattle.
FREE

Last edited:
Thanks heaps all , I'll putting definitley be using some of these great ideas for my my truck , here's some that I thought of

Going to put false floor in back area lust above wheel arches behind back seats , this will give me storage space for camp stove , gas bottle , fold out chairs , tent etc . This will also give me a larger flatish space when I fold down the rear seats for loads or laying a foam mattress over for sleeping on ( for some reason the seats fold differently on my hj61 than my old hj60

Also going to put plywood panel over tailgate instead of the carpeted standard one to make it into a more suitable / stable working surface for camping , working off or dragging loads into the back

Screen for the cabin air intake to keep bugs, leaves, vermin, dust, and insects out of your HVAC system.

$20 - K&N Drycharger Part #22-2020PL. It also comes in red.

Fits perfectly!
IMG_5659.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg

Cool find

Screen for the cabin air intake to keep bugs, leaves, vermin, dust, and insects out of your HVAC system.

$20 - K&N Drycharger Part #22-2020PL. It also comes in red.

Fits perfectly!

That is such a great idea man,after cleaning my HVAC intake i was thinking what to cover it with now i know what to get.:cheers:

I repaired my cracked grill and painted it. A small fiberglass repair kit, a couple of cans of paint and a few sheets of sand paper it came out pretty good. I might have $35 in the the repair.
Grill01.jpg
Grill03.jpg
Grill06.jpg

My "new" gauges

I took my dash apart recently to replace a bunch of the bulbs. While I had the gauge cluster out I decided to try to clean the plastic gauge covers. They were badly scratched and very cloudy from ~ 30 years of abuse and cleaning. My tach was so bad I could barely see thru it. I tried a bunch of household cleaners w/o any luck.
I ended up buying and using a Novus product that I had heard about and found on Amazon for $9.00. Starting w/ #3, and ending w/ #1, my gauge covers are now nearly invisible. Total time was < 30 mins. If you are going to pull your gauges for any reason, especially if your are putting in new bulbs, I'd highly recommend this repair. My pic doesn't do them justice...
IMG_1279.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg

$11.00 replaced the petcock on the radiator with 3/8 compression x 1/4 mpt fitting. To that attached a braided steel faucet line with a 1/2 square plug. Now draining the radiator is easy as can be with zero mess. Thanks to Kevin at Wagon Gear for the idea.
IMG_1366.jpg

Hey that's pretty cool !!

My issue with using a water supply line intended for use in a house is durability. I see many of these lines fail, especially hot water supply lines in my line of work. These are not high quality SS braided lines we see on vehicles. Most are crappy Chinese junk!

These lines are made for temps that never exceed 135 degrees, but yes, at higher pressure than our cooling systems run at. I like the idea, would maybe make a set up with good materials, but would be leery of these in my vehicle.

Doug

Only time will tell if there is a problem. I'm guessing that with the small amount of pressure and location that it will be fine. I have a collection of the hoses so if that were to be a failure point I have many more as replacements.
The same idea could be made with a barbed fitting and any number of automotive intended hoses in any length or diameter desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom