Best Mod for under $100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's up, guys. Been driving an '04 GX470 for several years, but haven't had the time or money to get into overlanding or off roading due to other hobbies. With grad school wrapping up soon and some hobbies falling by the wayside, I have more resources to start. But, I most likely won't build up the GX too much for two reasons. 1) It has 257K on it. Even though I'm confident it can make it another 250K, I don't want to dump several thousand dollars into it and be wrong. 2) If I land the job I want when I get out of school next year, I'll be able to get into a new/newer 4Runner and go all out on that truck. So this ~$100 mod thread has my attention until then. I haven't done too much so far, but here's a list:

Restored headlights and put in low and high beam LEDs (huge difference)
Reverse light LEDs
CB Radio w/ PA speaker (mainly just for fun)
Christmas lights on the stock roof rack (seasonal)

On tap:
Replace hood struts
Shelf/drawer system for the cargo area (DIY or commercial)
Fix the stupid shallow cup holders (probably going with the Tsumara insert)

I found brand new (24 on the odometer when pulled) '17 4Runner wheels on CL for $150 so I'm hoping to pick those up in the next few days and pick up a 5th somewhere. I'll be painting them some shade of gray.

Thanks for all of the great mods and ideas! Here's to many more (hopefully useful) posts!

I’m not on Facebook and Dan can correct me if I’m wrong but I think just having a gx allows you to be a part of gxor. Which is why I got this:
C2BF65FE-64DF-4B8F-B9F4-45A9AEBE35AE.png

Absolutely correct! Come on! gxor.org

What's up, guys. Been driving an '04 GX470 for several years, but haven't had the time or money to get into overlanding or off roading due to other hobbies. With grad school wrapping up soon and some hobbies falling by the wayside, I have more resources to start. But, I most likely won't build up the GX too much for two reasons. 1) It has 257K on it. Even though I'm confident it can make it another 250K, I don't want to dump several thousand dollars into it and be wrong. 2) If I land the job I want when I get out of school next year, I'll be able to get into a new/newer 4Runner and go all out on that truck. So this ~$100 mod thread has my attention until then. I haven't done too much so far, but here's a list:

Restored headlights and put in low and high beam LEDs (huge difference)
Reverse light LEDs
CB Radio w/ PA speaker (mainly just for fun)
Christmas lights on the stock roof rack (seasonal)

On tap:
Replace hood struts
Shelf/drawer system for the cargo area (DIY or commercial)
Fix the stupid shallow cup holders (probably going with the Tsumara insert)

I found brand new (24 on the odometer when pulled) '17 4Runner wheels on CL for $150 so I'm hoping to pick those up in the next few days and pick up a 5th somewhere. I'll be painting them some shade of gray.

Thanks for all of the great mods and ideas! Here's to many more (hopefully useful) posts!
Specs and deets on the LED headlights bulbs, low and high?

installed "rock lights" under my sliders using the plug from the stock running boards:
Rock Light Pods

Yes. the rubber pads that come with them are curved as if to fit to a tube instead of flat. So, the stainless bolts that are included are barely long enough. I will just get longer ones from the local hardware store. For $25, they are pretty bright. This is a picture from a few minutes ago (20:15). They are mounted at 45* but probably would have been okay mounted horizontally with the ground.

Also, for anyone using the factory plug, you must use both of the factory terminals as the + is a constant hot. The controller controls the ground not the positive. I tried using one of the factory running board mounting bolts for ground and the lights stayed on. FYI

Last edited:
Fixed/upgraded my center console cubby light. The factory LED strip light never worked since I got my GX. It was getting power to it and I figured it would be cheaper to upgrade it than to replace it with the original. So I picked up a LED 194 buld from Walmart for about $6 and soldered it into the harness. To do that I separated the small green circuit board from the light assembly and cut the wires. Then I popped the cover off of the Walmart bulb and pulled the led out of the plastic plug. I drilled 2 holes through the black part of the factory light assembly, ran the led prongs through it, and soldered it to the factory wire harness. It was a little bright, so I put a piece of the white heat shrink that I had left over in front of the bulb under the plastic lens. That make it just bright enough. I chose the amber bulb to match my radio, but the color options are endless.

BFF84B83-7011-4E51-8434-8305106A51AE.jpeg

6099A03E-D1B0-40AA-BFBF-02CD61F97957.jpeg

0BD2DE21-321C-4A23-83D5-44467F51DDDF.jpeg

E0AC5D54-3560-4C0A-B961-DB49062D0838.jpeg

171B63AB-49CA-4611-8791-208345278650.jpeg

Fixed/upgraded my center console cubby light. The factory LED strip light never worked since I got my GX. It was getting power to it and I figured it would be cheaper to upgrade it than to replace it with the original. So I picked up a LED 194 buld from Walmart for about $6 and soldered it into the harness. To do that I separated the small green circuit board from the light assembly and cut the wires. Then I popped the cover off of the Walmart bulb and pulled the led out of the plastic plug. I drilled 2 holes through the black part of the factory light assembly, ran the led prongs through it, and soldered it to the factory wire harness. It was a little bright, so I put a piece of the white heat shrink that I had left over in front of the bulb under the plastic lens. That make it just bright enough. I chose the amber bulb to match my radio, but the color options are endless.

View attachment 1935850

View attachment 1935851

View attachment 1935852

View attachment 1935853

View attachment 1935854
Thanks for this!
Mine's been dead since we got the GX but I haven't investigated..now I have an idea what I'm getting in to. Thanks. 👍

Last edited:
Haven't used it enough to know if it's even a good mod, but when installing my winch I went with an Anderson style connection so that I could keep the winch de-energized day to day, and I also put one on the end of my jumper cables for kicks. $30 in cable and connectors:

I'm still stalking my GX 470 but have this radio repeater/Bluetooth/USB/Aux input device in my 98 100 and have been very happy with it. I mostly load podcasts onto USB but the Bluetooth connects well with my phone.

Amazon product ASIN B07L3MV14V

How about a voltage booster? 7.5A alt fuse replaced with a breaker/resistor to up the voltage to 14.6V to help with AGM batteries. Has REALLY improved my resting charge and the batteries test healthy months later with heavy use.

How about a voltage booster? 7.5A alt fuse replaced with a breaker/resistor to up the voltage to 14.6V to help with AGM batteries. Has REALLY improved my resting charge and the batteries test healthy months later with heavy use.

Dan does this work with a stock alternator? I know yours is not.

It sure does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom