Best Cable Route for Dual Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning my install for a new auxiliary battery on the RH side.

What is the best route to install the cables to connect the batteries?

Around the front of the radiator? Or around the back firewall but this will add an extra few feet of cabling?

How do you remove the black plastic clips on the surrounding trim near the radiator?

Sorry. Original starter battery is front left corner. The new auxiliary battery is going in the front right corner (using the Slee dual battery tray kit).

The cable route for the diesel with the twin batteries is across the front near the radiator.

I'm not exactly sure yet with plans for the cabling for accessories. Maybe fridge and compressor in rear. Also using aux battery as backup for starter.

I took the trim off in front of the radiator, routed that way and put the trim back on

When Slee routed mine, they routed it along the top/front of the radiator...above the cooling front, and where it is less likely to be whacked in a severe accident. It makes for a SUPER clean, nearly invisible presence, and also makes for the shortest possible wire run:

IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG

Same thing I did with pictures :D

If you have a bull bar, running in front of the radiator is easier not likely an issue.

If you don't, I would consider running along the firewall much safer. After I pushed my last 200's radiator in from a relatively minor impact, I've become more paranoid of such things.

Thanks for the great feedback.

If Slee are installing in the route in front of the radiator (and I think it's the same as the stock Toyota diesel dual battery wiring), I'll go down that way.

How do you remove those small radiator cowling clips? They look like the type where you push to release, but these seem different. Do you just lever up the centre pin with a screwdriver?

Push to release. But be prepared for 1 or 2 to break as they tend to get brittle... I keep a stash on hand from Toyota.

Do yours look identical to the ones in the photos above? I have pressed as hard as I can with my thumb but they feel like they don't press in. Should I get a hammer to try?

Our other Lexus and my previous Prado had the press-in type but these look a bit different.

Do yours look identical to the ones in the photos above? I have pressed as hard as I can with my thumb but they feel like they don't press in. Should I get a hammer to try?

Our other Lexus and my previous Prado had the press-in type but these look a bit different.

Pop em up with a screwdriver. Some seem to work...some don't. Nice in theory...poor in practice...?

I just went and checked mine and they don't wanna pop up either... Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. -Some do pop up in other locations, but these aren't playing along.

When Slee routed mine, they routed it along the top/front of the radiator...above the cooling front, and where it is less likely to be whacked in a severe accident. It makes for a SUPER clean, nearly invisible presence, and also makes for the shortest possible wire run:

What is that braiding on the battery cables and where does one buy it? I've never seen wire loom like that before.

What is that braiding on the battery cables and where does one buy it? I've never seen wire loom like that before.

You'd have to ask Slee... I believe that particular braided wire is on the 4 gauge wire that runs to the back of my truck for my sine-wave inverter. I suspect it's easier to pull through the extremely tight firewall and to the back compared with the rubber coated wire it shields. We would have gone 2 gauge or maybe even 0, but it was just too tight.

Edit: @TonyP must have been typing while I was... and he found the answer. Bravo!

View attachment 1450317 View attachment 1450318

Where did Slee mount the Voltage Sensing Relay for the dual battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom