Builds Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What about a 3D printed rear view mirror conversion adapter?

I’d love to ditch my old OEM mirror for a digital rear view mirror with back up camera, but our 100 series mount doesn’t work with anything.

IMG_0136.jpeg

^ 100 series assembly

I am not sure what is most universal for these things, but the this is the one I’m troubleshooting:

IMG_0137.jpeg

I’d love to ditch my old OEM mirror for a digital rear view mirror with back up camera, but our 100 series mount doesn’t work with anything.

View attachment 3550892
^ 100 series assembly

I am not sure what is most universal for these things, but the this is the one I’m troubleshooting:

View attachment 3550893
That one has been covered in another thread, and as far as I remember one of the companies making the mirrors threatened to sue the manufacturer of the 3D printed mount.. Since then I have made my own, but would love to have a finished product, preferably with a way to hide the cables. Will probably try to incorporate that in my version, but I'm pretty sure that Ben would make a very very nice version.
Which I would also be interested in.

I am dying for the rear view camera 3d print. Our current car situation requires my nanny and mother in law to need to drive the Land Cruiser some - a reverse camera would really help them with parking and such.

View attachment 3550892
^ 100 series assembly

View attachment 3550893
This need very high-performance print material. It is under direct sunlight.

This need very high-performance print material. It is under direct sunlight.

Could you print in a heat resistant material and the end consumer could paint it an UV-safe paint/epoxy or something?

I installed my printed version this summer, I think I printed it with ASA but can have a look tomorrow.
So far it shows no signs of warping or cracking as the PLA prototype did after a few days in the sun.
We had about 95°F here, don't know what the temp in the car was but no problems as mentioned.
At the moment it runs in -30°C but I'm guessing that's not the same as a very hot American summer.

I installed my printed version this summer, I think I printed it with ASA but can have a look tomorrow.
So far it shows no signs of warping or cracking as the PLA prototype did after a few days in the sun.
We had about 95°F here, don't know what the temp in the car was but no problems as mentioned.
At the moment it runs in -30°C but I'm guessing that's not the same as a very hot American summer.
The cabin temperature under direct sunlight can be way higher than 95F. ABS or ASA might be OK. I would do Nylon.

The cabin temperature under direct sunlight can be way higher than 95F. ABS or ASA might be OK. I would do Nylon.
Yes of course, it's just that I have no idea how much warmer, ie if it's 190F
I would guess we get up to just around 140F around here.
As we don't get temps near the hottest regions in the states, I can only give you my personal experience so far, but I agree that nylon might be
a better bet. And you seem to know how to print it.
I had some ASA so decided to try since there was no other solution and I really wanted an outside temp gauge.

Make 63: LX470 Foglight Mount

63.1 Overview of the Final Product
1708213768006.png

1708215843292.png

Video (with Baja Designs Squadron Pro):

63.2 Description

The mount is designed to accommodate two Baja Designs Squadron LED pods (Pro, Sport, or SAE variants) on each side. It is suggested to use the Squadron SAE model, as it is specifically engineered to function as a fog light.

63.3 Design and Fabrication

The toughest task is fitting two pods into each side. Attempts to do this in the LC100 fog light pocket were unsuccessful. The LX470 fog light pocket, on the other hand, is broader but not as tall. The initial design positions the two pods horizontally, as illustrated below:

1708214317753.png

(The pods depicted in the figure are Baja Designs XL80, not Squadron models. They are utilized solely for illustrative purposes. CAD credits for the XL80 go to Peter Scolaro on GRABCAD)

This approach works for the Squadron Pro and Sport models because their lenses can be rotated 90 degrees. However, it is not suitable for the Squadron SAE model:
1708214559976.png

(https://www.bajadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/Installation Instructions/FGXX_257801_REVA-INS_001.pdf)
(https://www.bajadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/Installation Instructions/FGXX_257811_REVA-INS_001.pdf)

This issue arises because the Squadron SAE was designed using entirely new aspheric projector optics. Thankfully, I managed to redesign the mount to install the pods in the correct orientation:
1708215154142.png

In the figure referenced above, the mount is designed for the passenger side. The pod that is closer to the center of the vehicle should be installed first, followed by the pod on the outer side.

63.4 Purchase List to Complete the Installation

You will need to acquire two sets of Baja Designs Squadron pods, selecting from the Pro, Sport, or SAE models.
To secure the pods to the mount, utilize the bolts that are included with the pods.
I will supply 6 stainless steel fasteners for attaching the mounts to the bumper.
Note: Blinkers can be wired to side markers.

Turn Signal Kit

63.5 Purchase

$150/pair + USPS Priority.
(Note: Design files are not for sale.)

Last edited:
Make 63: LX470 Foglight Mount

63.1 Overview of the Final Product
View attachment 3560243

View attachment 3560307

Video (with Baja Designs Squadron Pro):

63.2 Description

The mount is designed to accommodate two Baja Designs Squadron LED pods (Pro, Sport, or SAE variants) on each side. It is suggested to use the Squadron SAE model, as it is specifically engineered to function as a fog light.

63.3 Design and Fabrication

The toughest task is fitting two pods into each side. Attempts to do this in the LC100 fog light pocket were unsuccessful. The LX470 fog light pocket, on the other hand, is broader but not as tall. The initial design positions the two pods horizontally, as illustrated below:

View attachment 3560255
(The pods depicted in the figure are Baja Designs XL80, not Squadron models. They are utilized solely for illustrative purposes. CAD credits for the XL80 go to Peter Scolaro on GRABCAD)

This approach works for the Squadron Pro and Sport models because their lenses can be rotated 90 degrees. However, it is not suitable for the Squadron SAE model:
View attachment 3560259
(https://www.bajadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/Installation Instructions/FGXX_257801_REVA-INS_001.pdf)
(https://www.bajadesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/Installation Instructions/FGXX_257811_REVA-INS_001.pdf)

This issue arises because the Squadron SAE was designed using entirely new aspheric projector optics. Thankfully, I managed to redesign the mount to install the pods in the correct orientation:
View attachment 3560278

In the figure referenced above, the mount is designed for the passenger side. The pod that is closer to the center of the vehicle should be installed first, followed by the pod on the outer side.

63.4 Purchase List to Complete the Installation

You will need to acquire two sets of Baja Designs Squadron pods, selecting from the Pro, Sport, or SAE models.
To secure the pods to the mount, utilize the bolts that are included with the pods.
I will supply 6 stainless steel fasteners for attaching the mounts to the bumper.
Note: Blinkers can be wired to side markers.

63.5 Purchase

$150/pair + USPS Priority.
(Note: Design files are not for sale.)

Any chance of this but using Diode Dynamics SS3s?

I'd like to order Make 28 V1 Cupholder Butterfly Version w/ cup holder, standard black for everything.

Hey Ben - might be too speciality for you but figured I’d ask.

I’d like to replace this ladder mount on the rear of my Alu-Cab with a bracket that I can clip a rear camera onto.

Bonus would be enough space for a chase light/rear light.

If interested I can pull out the bolts and get a proper measurement ..

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_1708.jpeg

I got my first LC100 (Left) back when I was doing my undergrad at Ohio State. Then, I drove it all the way to Los Angeles for my Master's, but had to let it go because of the crazy long drives and the gas prices killing my wallet ($5-$6/gallon in 2015). When I came back to Ohio State for my PhD, I found myself another LC100 (Middle). But, just as I was about to finish my PhD, I had to sell it because of some hefty medical bills. That was a tough time. Now, I'm on my third (Right) and it's my ride every day. Looks like I'm gonna be sticking with the LC100 platform for a long, long time.

Just sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom