Belgian Maltec(ish) Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you thought about some updated flares? :cool:

Check out this wheel thread I think a few have put the 16x7s on Troopys. I got the 16x8's on my 45, test fit them on my 75, but would need a lift to run the 35's.

Is the Maltec top fiberglass or metal?

Looks like its going to be a cool build.
Thanks for the link. I do like those Summit wheels, but they are still 4in backspacing. How was the fit when you tested them on the Troopy? I imaging there was not much clearance on the inside. Looks wise, it’s great!

The Maltec roof is said to be carbon fiber, but I think it’s some kind of woven composite. Feels very sturdy, like I could walk on the top.

Oh yea.. I have some Kut Snakes on my list. Trying to figure out why wheels/tires, so I know what I’m working with

I've got 4 sets of 75/73/74 flares in stock now......got in some much needed inventory today.

20200724_114214.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yea.. I have some Kut Snakes on my list. Trying to figure out why wheels/tires, so I know what I’m working with

If you are going to go the kutsnake flare way consider the 16/8 steel wheels of the 24v hdj80’s best looking toyota wheel to me .......and I have a set I might consider selling ;)

B7187A78-B754-4B87-A943-75E476237EE4.jpeg

Are those the ones you sold me on the 75, Joe? I dig em. If I were to ever go from what I have no, I would do these Fifteen52 Analogs in grey...

This is from a project truck at @Willis' shop in Bend, Fit Garage.

FitMud.jpg

A bit close, but nothing rubbed.

20200623_212010.jpg

Are those the ones you sold me on the 75, Joe? I dig em. If I were to ever go from what I have no, I would do these Fifteen52 Analogs in grey...

This is from a project truck at @Willis' shop in Bend, Fit Garage.

View attachment 2383665
On your troopy where the oem 70 series 16/6.5 wheels , the one in the picture on my crawler are oem for the HDJ80 with the FT engine and are 16/8 so ideal for wider tires, in this pic there is a 37/12.5 on them

It's been a while.. but have a few updates. OME suspension installed all the way around, and today the 1HD-T finally went in. There's a few things remaining to be buttoned up before she fires back up, but the swap was pretty straight forward. Hoping to get some momentum with the progress, but several slow going items to address still.

As for the 1HZ that I pulled out, it will probably go up for sale soon, so if anyone knows someone that may be interested, PM me. I meant to take a video yesterday of it running before it was pulled, but with the swap day excitement I totally spaced until it was already too late. Ran perfect, 258,000km (160k mi).

IMG_9753.JPG

IMG_9759.JPG

Great to see some progress on this! I was wondering how it was going.

How was the 1HZ --> 1HD-T swap? I have it in my head that the fuel lines are different somehow, and I'm thinking there might be a few small electrical differences, but motor mounts and transmission/bell housing, and pretty much everything else should all just bolt up, right? That's part of what made that truck so appealing. That and the diff locks. :grinpimp:

The swap was really straight forward, and can easily be done in a weekend. One of the fuel line hoses needed to be extended by about 12-14", and you need to route a new vacuum line back to the canister. Other than that, will install a 1HD-T airbox lid and hoses going to the turbo, and a new exhaust. I didn't have any electrical differences - although I'm not entirely sure about the coolant/water temp sensor. The 1HZ had the sensor mounted in the block under the oil filter. The 1HD-T has a sensor there as well, but there's an additional sensor connection at the upper coolant outlet. I'm not sure if I should be running to that location instead? That would require some modification to reach the plug up there.
@gilmorneau

Got all the fluids in today, and it fired right up. I took it for a short drive using just a flex pipe and cone air filter on the intake side, and a short 8" dump pipe on the exhaust side. I love the turbo sound, and it drives so much better!

How was the 1HZ --> 1HD-T swap? I have it in my head that the fuel lines are different somehow, and I'm thinking there might be a few small electrical differences, but motor mounts and transmission/bell housing, and pretty much everything else should all just bolt up, right? That's part of what made that truck so appealing. That and the diff locks. :grinpimp:

Holler at @Willis he's done a few.

Plug and play. Same engine block so the mounts and tranny are the same. Same fuel lines, same glow plugs (some HDJ81 had larger fuel lines but I've had no problem with my 1HZ sized lines with 20psi GTurbo). Same radiator. Just get a hdj81 intake setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom